JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"They were gouging already at $15 per person admission, to raise it to $17.50 on an increasingly crowded range is absurd."

So how much do you think they should charge?

probably what every other range in the known universe charges, $10.

they would have to be an OUTSTANDING, non crowded range to justify $17.50

It is nice that they have rental guns. I tried the Ruger LCP. On a side note, the guy next to me had a S&W Hunter, 44 Magnum, and the recoil on that was far more more comfortable than the LCP. Though I found the LCP very shootable; not uncomfortable at all. Can't wait until they get their S&W bodyguard fixed so I can try that.

I just came back from a morning at the English Pit. Today I just shot handguns (Kahr P380, SA XDs-9, Glock19, G21, G34, G35). What made it great was I was able to shoot whatever ammo I wanted to. I was figuring out my zeroes with my self defense ammo and my personal competition ammo. Any of the spots that require me to buy their ammo, my day would have been a waste.

Thankfully, the shooters in the same bay to my left were just shooting a (brand new!) Chiappa Rhino...so no brass flying at me. The Rhino shot awesome, without ANY muzzle flip at all! Except out of 6 rounds, one was a light strike; and my neighbors kept getting clicks, too. I'm not thinking that will be on my list...

The guy on the other side of me was shooting a brand new XDs-45 so I gave him a couple mags of 9mm and let him shoot mine. He wishes he'd chosen a 9mm like mine. Of course I agree, since I'd prefer 7+1 over 5+1 any day in guns that have everything else exactly the same!

I quit going to English pit about 25yrs ago. Started going there when there was a sign at the top and some benches......period! Nice place then and I never saw a safety issue so wrong that instant peer pressure didn't solve it instantly. No charge, no ammo restrictions, nothing! Then the range officers got involved. Never saw such a bunch of dumb...t. If any of you old guys are still around pass on soon and don't do any late in the game reproducing! Please! Couldn't say about the current folks from personal experience, so I won't.
I went on to join Clark Rifles and loved it. Safe, well run and a real sense of community! Sadly, health problems came and I had to give up my membership. Sucked!
The long winded point that I'm coming to is that rather than go back to the pit, I preferred to join the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club! It's a bit over an hour each way but a beautiful range! Happy as a clam in bubbly there!
Many times I preferred not to shoot than going to the pit. I'm glad that it's there for those that need it, not me. SRG

I love the ARPC but it does fill up on the weekends. so if your a weekend only shooter, then it may not be for you.
If you can go on off days though its fantastic. the people are very friendly and you may see stuff you could never see on your own. Last time there a few fellows had a 44/90 and it was super sweet to see.

Well, you could go to A place To Shoot and drop $75-100.00 to shoot one session. Makes the English Pit look like a bargain, all day and you can leave and come back in that day.
If you get a membership to "A Place to Shoot" your range costs are minimal. In with the right kind of membership there are no range fees. Only target and ammo costs... Besides the staff are a lot more knowledgeable and helpful than the operators at English Pit....

If you get a membership to "A Place to Shoot" your range costs are minimal. In with the right kind of membership there are no range fees. Only target and ammo costs... Besides the staff are a lot more knowledgeable and helpful than the operators at English Pit....
Unless it's a rifle you want to shoot.
I had one problem at the pit when the Tavor first came out. The person watching the rifle ranges thought it was an SBR. She asked me to leave, and gave me my money back.
I called the owner he cleared it up. He apologize four or five times, and gave me a free credit.
Sure $17.50 not cheap. With most of the rifle ranges not having any open memberships, and not with in ten minutes from my house not such a bad deal.
Plus they let let you shoot your own ammo and guns.
Staff have always been nice to me, and I'm a long haired atheist.

Plus they occasionally have charity events for membership. I got a year long unlimited membership (no lane fees) for a $200 donation to a leukemia foundation. Basically a tax deductible gun range membership.

They also buy back any ammo you dont use

I like the pit because it's only 10 min from my door.( I prefer the woods). All the regulations sort of suck but they are right in the city and I'm sure there are insurance and county guidelines they are forced to follow. They provide a rare service in my area and the only true complaint I have is how the smoke builds on the line. I also consider the fuel cost and time to drive anywhere else. Not to mention the chance of being shot is low compared to larch mt where I routinely see guys shooting down the trails with no backstop.

Fortunately we can shoot right out back of our future homesite and we only attend an official range to sight in rifles at 100 yards. After we build the home I am going to set up a 100 yard range out there and an action shooting gallery

Burt will dig this.. I am also going to have a basement shooting gallery

When's the barbecue?

I quit going to English pit about 25yrs ago. Started going there when there was a sign at the top and some benches......period! Nice place then and I never saw a safety issue so wrong that instant peer pressure didn't solve it instantly. No charge, no ammo restrictions, nothing! Then the range officers got involved. Never saw such a bunch of dumb...t. If any of you old guys are still around pass on soon and don't do any late in the game reproducing! Please! Couldn't say about the current folks from personal experience, so I won't.
I went on to join Clark Rifles and loved it. Safe, well run and a real sense of community! Sadly, health problems came and I had to give up my membership. Sucked!
The long winded point that I'm coming to is that rather than go back to the pit, I preferred to join the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club! It's a bit over an hour each way but a beautiful range! Happy as a clam in bubbly there!
Many times I preferred not to shoot than going to the pit. I'm glad that it's there for those that need it, not me. SRG

I used to shoot there in the 70's when it was free and no RO. IIRC, the dump was free too... Last time I was there some RO looking guy wanted me to pay $5 to shoot and I laughed and said, "no way. I'll drive to Larch" That was probably the mid 80's I guess.

Now the place I used to go up on Larch has houses built everywhere :eek:

I now belong to TCGC.

I have a range in my backyard, it's only 50yrds but that works for me. everything except my large caliber bolt-actions. I just go to eaglecreek/trask mountains or browns camp to shoot long range. Been thinking about the range outside methdacada but I'd rather spend the money on ammo and fuel. Plus no lame rule nazis telling me not to shoot my gun too quickly... :D

I love my range
No rate of fire limits
No mag load limits
You can draw from the holster
The shooter run the line R/O's are there to make sure it is done safely and help out if needed
Members have free access to our first 4 action bays. where you can do all kinds of fun stuff.
The only thing that sucks is the coffee so I keep some at the range for my own use. and I freely share it with others.
Y'all come on out and sit a spell. and I am serious some days I just sit and visit.

gunsafety.org is our website, check us out.

I'm wondering if the use of 1/4" x 2" angle iron with the point of the angle toward the shooters, and the 45° sides would send the slugs toward the rear at those angles. Of course there would have to be enough side area to accommodate that, so setting up only enough targets to allow for that width would limit the number of shooters at the bench, meaning longer wait lines. But it would lengthen the amount of maintenance required. Yes it would cost more than wood, but with repairs pushed much further out, the range would save money and keep shooters in the play for far longer periods of time over the course of the year.

Just a thought

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top