JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The story on the membership is that we continue to work a lease renewal. I try my best to run an ethical operation and as such refuse to sell memberships not knowing exactly for how long a lease extension will be granted. Sure - I could sell you a longer term membership and then possible shut down before it expires but I'm not that type of person. We have been working towards a lease solution for well over a year. We are as frustrated as you!

I guess I haven't been back to this thread for a while, so I just saw this. First of all, thank you for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to address our concerns. I wonder though, if this is the case, then why not just tell me so when I asked in person rather than blowing smoke up my you know what?

I stopped using the English Shooting Pit when I was told I couldn't fire my 12 pound single shot .22 rifle with 24x scope at the 100 yard range because I may accidentally aim high and shoot over the berm (100+ foot tall). I asked the attendant if this was a concern for center fire rifle shooters and was told it's just the rule and if I don't like it then I can leave. I've never been back. Rules are good when they make sense, but when they are so silly and I'm not allowed to question them, then I will leave and not return. The rule makers obviously don't have enough common sense to understand simple logic.

The problem is.....22's skip. If someone comes short of the impact berm and lands a 22 LR on the deck it can easily skip up and over the top of the back wall (wchich is only 40 feet tall, not 100). While we have no doubt that someone with an uber-accurate 22 LR could place 10 shots through the same hole beyond 100yds, most people don't have those rifles or the skills to use one. If we allowed one person to shoot 22's at 100 yds, we would need to allow everyone the same pleasure. Actually...early on, we did allow someone with one of these rifles to do that once. Others saw it and accused us of having different rules for different people - they wanted to shoot their brand new, out-of-the-box 10-22 at the 100.

I guess I haven't been back to this thread for a while, so I just saw this. First of all, thank you for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to address our concerns. I wonder though, if this is the case, then why not just tell me so when I asked in person rather than blowing smoke up my you know what?

Nothing is predictable when dealing with government. The plan was to have several issues dealt with almost 2 years ago...we are still working them.

The last time I went to the English Pit I took my Rangefinder and was surprised to see that the 100 yard range targets were set at 92 yards.... Granted, that was 10 years ago, but, I have never been back since.

We had to discontinue the use of slugs and large shot because of the damages caused when some people began shooting the main support posts. That causes the entire target line to collapse. Funny....right? Not! We get to shut the line down until it gets fixed, pay for the materials and labor to rebuild it and have a bunch of upset people while we do the work.

We are working on some range improvements that should once again allow us to not only shoot slugs but to also pattern loads (something we haven't been able to offer before).

As far as the range fees....you would be surprised at how much it costs to operate a shooting range - nobody is getting rich there.
Quick question. I was there a few weeks ago with my Tavor sar 16, and was kicked out of the range because of my rifle. I was shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100yrds. I looked on your website and see nothing about not being able to shoot bullpup rifles. I think she thought it was a SBR but that's just a guess. I was wondering if you could clear up any confusion?

Thanks
Dwaine

Quick question. I was there a few weeks ago with my Tavor sar 16, and was kicked out of the range because of my rifle. I was shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100yrds. I looked on your website and see nothing about not being able to shoot bullpup rifles. I think she thought it was a SBR but that's just a guess. I was wondering if you could clear up any confusion?
/
Thanks
Dwaine

Really? If that's true that's the lamest thing I've ever heard. How does one work at a range and not know a bullpup like a Tavor or Aug is not an SBR? Or were they just afraid of them? I wonder what excuse they have for that one. For all the people crying about not being ablde to have an opinion just because I don't own the place let me remind you they run this range on public property. Which is odd they are allowed to charge what they do. Why not let the city's parks department run it?

That being said, they do seem like good folks and I haven't totally given up on the range yet. But I have a low B.S. tolerance for idiotic rules.

Really? If that's true that's the lamest thing I've ever heard. How does one work at a range and not know a bullpup like a Tavor or Aug is not an SBR? Or were they just afraid of them? I wonder what excuse they have for that one. For all the people crying about not being ablde to have an opinion just because I don't own the place let me remind you they run this range on public property. Which is odd they are allowed to charge what they do. Why not let the city's parks department run it?

That being said, they do seem like good folks and I haven't totally given up on the range yet. But I have a low B.S. tolerance for idiotic rules.
I finally got ahold of the owner. He was really nice and cleared it up. My guess is that she just didn't know what the rifle was since it had only been out for a few months.

I finally got ahold of the owner. He was really nice and cleared it up. My guess is that she just didn't know what the rifle was since it had only been out for a few months.

That's good. I think I might go easier on them. I may not like all the rules but they've always been nice and I've never had a problem with any person that worked there. Even that tattooed guy that used to work there I didn't think was that bad. So take it you're good to go to shoot your Tavor going forward?

I recall English pit from the 1970's (just after the Civil War). I was shocked when they started charging entrance fees.
I guess that's when I went feral and started moving east.
I woulda ended up in ID if it wasn't for my (ex) wife, I woulda been free'r for it,
"Small things" push a man's life in ways he may never see.
Choose a course for yourself before some woman tosses a loop around you and throws down the anchor!
One could say my gonads determined my fate, it's hard to say no to a woman's PPs

I was there for the first time in a long while last fall.

Needles to say, I drive up into the mountains now. I'd rather spend money on gas then fees and targets.

And shooting a .22 rifle at 25 ft/yards is just plain lame - add some backstop if that's the issue.

Also, charging per lane instead of per shooter would make more since IMO.

I feel for the English Pit operators.
They are trying to make some money doing what they love to do.
Costs? They pay a lease, liability ins, wages.
Range repair expenses when some DS destroys a target frame.

Membership at DRRClub costs $165 + 8 hours labor per year ($150 if you don't work).
Nobody earns a wage.
I racked up 90 hours last year. A few guys have invested over 200 hours.
This month alone, I've already invested 9 hours repairing target frames.
Somebody destroyed the target frames. One stray bullet? No, looks like a chainsaw went crazy.

Word is that the forests are being closed to shooting. Too much damage and trash.

We had to discontinue the use of slugs and large shot because of the damages caused when some people began shooting the main support posts. That causes the entire target line to collapse. Funny....right? Not! We get to shut the line down until it gets fixed, pay for the materials and labor to rebuild it and have a bunch of upset people while we do the work.

make the people who shoot the posts pay for repairs and make them do the repairs.

simple.

Simple...
How will you know who shoots the posts?
Hire range monitors? $$$
How will you make someone pay or repair?

I live 6 miles from DRRC, get to the range as often as I can.
Wrote up two members for stupid destructive stuff in the past 2 weeks.
Sent the reports to the Chief RSO.
While the range is open for 12 hours daily, I cannot be there every day, every hour.
Shouldn't have to be.

English Pit is NOT a good pistol range IMO. But for zeroing rifles, especially HD rifles, it is perfect! It has a center-fire rifle range at 25 yards, which is really cool. Then the 50-yard range is pretty good. Of course it doesn't have a 200-yard range, but it does have 100 yards and someone could zero 2 inches high at 100 yards (or whatever your ballistic tables show...). I've always had really good luck there.

Biggest problem around the PDX area is that there is just no perfect range for every need. You just need to have in mind a bunch of ranges tat do certain things really well.

I'll have to try Clark Rifles again!

clark rifles is hard to beat...except for the crowd,which I attribute to being such a nice range. :p
being open to the public only one day a week ...is it still that way ? .. makes it super crowded at times,but it is a very nice range for sure.

For a more 'open minded' range,Wolverton gc is open the 2nd sunday of the month to the public,5 buck range fee,bring all the guns u want,still 5 bucks.

CCTV. interlake has it now.

they pay up and repair or they get banned from the range.
To all, I share the various pains one can have at English Pit and the very long waiting lists at other ranges in the area. I joined the Wolverton Mountain Gun Club at the end of last year. It is a little bit of a drive north of Amboy, but the membership (one time $400)/annual maintenance ($50) and range fees ($3 members/ $5 guests) are in my opinion reasonable. They have a 50 ft handgun, 50 yard, trap, and 150 yard ranges and an archery section. The current leadership and club members who have been volunteering for work parties are constantly trying to improve the facility. They also sponsor 3 Gun, Bowling Pin, Practical handgun and other competitions. They also do a lot of work with the Appleseed Project, Scouting, and a lot of cooperation with local Police Departments. I do not know if they have memberships open or available at this time. Check them out at http://www.wmgc.net/index.html -- good luck on your various searches for good ranges.:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top