JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When you go to some one elses property you follow the rules or you should not be there at all. You dont make up the rules - you are a paying custoemr and if you do not like their rules I suggest you find some place that has rules you do. You have no right to tell a business how it should do business - you only have the choice of wether you want to do business with them. I for one think that you were quite jevenile in your behavior.

James Ruby

I visit English Pit occasionally. Mostly when I want to shoot my rifles and can't go to the mountains or when I want to have some closer defensive pistol shooting. At Johnson Creek Gun Club, where I'm a member, I can't shoot closer than 50 feet. So EP helps in that regard. I also like that there are in/out privileges. So you can go away for lunch and come back if you want. I've never done it myself but it is a nice option. And I do like having guns to rent there. In fact, I recently shot the Chiappa Rhino and, because of that, I have one on the way to me.

I don't like the hills though and it is difficult as I am out of shape (I am going to be working on that).

I think English pit is a bit over priced but it's not a bad place to shoot as long as you go on a weekday. Made the mistake of going on a Saturday a few weeks back and had to wait for at least an hour before I could get on the pistol range. Maybe a warning before you pay on how many people are in the different ranges would be nice.

Last time I was there, I could get a good idea of the crowd by just looking down the hill at the ranges.

Come up to tacoma sportsmans club, granted it can get busy on the weekend, come early. The members only range is never busy though, give me a ring and I'll take you to the members side.

I stopped using the English Shooting Pit when I was told I couldn't fire my 12 pound single shot .22 rifle with 24x scope at the 100 yard range because I may accidentally aim high and shoot over the berm (100+ foot tall). I asked the attendant if this was a concern for center fire rifle shooters and was told it's just the rule and if I don't like it then I can leave. I've never been back. Rules are good when they make sense, but when they are so silly and I'm not allowed to question them, then I will leave and not return. The rule makers obviously don't have enough common sense to understand simple logic. By my calculation, the English Pit has lost more than $3k in fees that I would have paid to date since that day. I just shoot elsewhere, it's their loss.

If you can't visit Clark Rifles on Sundays then the Pit is the only place in Clark or Cowlitz counties that is an actual range. They are building a new one up in Castlerock, but from my house both that and the pit are the same drive-time: 1+ hours to either one way. I plink up on Warehouser land, but sighting in means I have to pack a load of stuff with me up there and with the snow during the winter that is just a pain so it's really we're kinda stuck with the Pit.

By my calculation, the English Pit has lost more than $3k in fees that I would have paid to date since that day. I just shoot elsewhere, it's their loss.
for about 1/10th of that ,you could join wolverton mt. and have access to a range that is quite empty during the week,and faily empty even on weekends.3 covered shooting areas,and rifles can be shot to 150 yards.
we prety much have 2 rules...shoot at the barms,and be safe.
oh,and don't shoot the deer,they are friendly's

that remeinds me,this coming sunday is open to the public. 5 dollars ,bring one gun or a dozen,same price.target stands provided.

for about 1/10th of that ,you could join wolverton mt. and have access to a range that is quite empty during the week,and faily empty even on weekends.3 covered shooting areas,and rifles can be shot to 150 yards.

that remeinds me,this coming sunday is open to the public. 5 dollars ,bring one gun or a dozen,same price.target stands provided.

what's the deal with the padlock on the gate, and why don't i have a key for it since i am a member?

Never heard of the place. Is it in washougal?

If you can't visit Clark Rifles on Sundays then the Pit is the only place in Clark or Cowlitz counties that is an actual range. They are building a new one up in Castlerock, but from my house both that and the pit are the same drive-time: 1+ hours to either one way. I plink up on Warehouser land, but sighting in means I have to pack a load of stuff with me up there and with the snow during the winter that is just a pain so it's really we're kinda stuck with the Pit.

Correct me if I am wrong, isn't this project on hold because of lack of funds? The last time I check, was that, the range was supposed to open Aug 2012.

thanks

I don't shoot at English Pit much, but I'm just happy there are still places we can go to shoot our guns. I don't sweat it that each place has their own rules about what you can and can't use.

I used the pit for quite a while but eventually got a membership at TCGC. While a bit of a drive, they have very nice ranges with a lot of options. FYI -- I've been on the waiting list for Clark for a year so far. Nice facility just not as many options as TCGC.

I stopped using the English Shooting Pit when I was told I couldn't fire my 12 pound single shot .22 rifle with 24x scope at the 100 yard range because I may accidentally aim high and shoot over the berm (100+ foot tall).

The 100yd has newer been open to .22 rimfire to my long time knowledge of the facility. The sheriffs day/night range is directly west of the EP range. Their call and possibly their insurance carriers requirement.
At present I believe there are maybe 3 to 4 natonal carriers that will write range policies? One bad reported accident and you are done from all of them for range coverage or priced out of buisness.
Be a farm or ranch owner and find out that anyone you let hunt on your property is your liability and this also includes direct family. We let a first cousin bring a guest with his daughter and she fell and broke her shoulder. The cousin's friend hired a shyster lawyer and we went to court and had to pay her medicals and rehab. Shoot, Hunt, Fish, Swimming Pool and what you own are what is called an "Attractive Hazard"

Never heard of the place. Is it in washougal?

no, not even close. it's 10 miles west of cougar. membership isn't really worth it, IMO. there are 6 pits nearby that i know of that are perfectly secluded. you just have to be willing to do some legwork to get to them once you park your vehicle. one of those spots has ~500 to 900 yards of clearance for those lovely distance shots. the larch mountain types of people wouldn't want to go there due to the legwork that is needed to reach those spots. :)

what's the deal with the padlock on the gate, and why don't i have a key for it since i am a member?

they have had a locked gate for the 20 years that I"ve belonged,it's not new.Tom Nelson can see that you get a key,I believe.hmmm,looks like the website is mostly not working. :(
I can pm you his phone no. if u don't have it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top