JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's too bad because this range was convient and close to home. I'm pissed off by the way so I'll try to keep it as civil as possible. For my birthday I get a new Remington 870 tactical, can't shoot it yet because the stock is too long. I order a shorter hogue stock/forend as a replacement and it arrives a week later, so now I'm ready to go shoot it for the first time after getting 00 buck and some slugs. I cut back going to English pit because it always is crowded when I can go and they raised the price. They were gouging already at $15 per person admission, to raise it to $17.50 on an increasingly crowded range is absurd. I noticed some guys shooting slugs at the 50 yard rifle range last time I went almost a year ago, so I figured slugs would be fine if the buck wasn't. I also think "hey, while I'm at it I'll take my favorite AR and shoot that a bit." So I get all my stuff together and head out. I'm told "oh nothing bigger than number 6 shot (or something) and we don't want to see slugs." I asked, why, didn't get an answer. I didn't take it out on the nice young lady but I bluntly told her "Okay, I'm not going to shoot here then." Hiked back up the hill pissed. I could have shot my AR but *censored* that! I'm not going to run over and buy more ammo for my shotgun, nor am I going to give you guys anymore of my money to shoot only my AR. This kind of garbage really pisses me off. Part of the appeal and pleasure of owning and shooting firearms is the sense of freedom, it's bad enough we've got federal/state/local governments cracking down on firearms rights, I think we could do without *censored* range rules that are not only idiotic to begin with, but selectively enforced. Is this how all ranges are run in *censored*-hole blue states like this?

rant over

What bothers me about that place is that they keep blowing smoke about doing some kind of membership. Every time they had a table at the guns shows I would ask about it. I always got the exact same response; "Oh, I have a meeting with the county about it next week." After hearing that more than a few times, it became pretty obvious that it was all hot air. Once I got a membership up at Clark Rifles, I haven't been back to English Pit. That place and the folks that run it can kick rocks...

The no slugs thing is strange. TCGC's 50/100 range is the opposite. You must use slugs and nothing else. Bird shot at a 50+ yard range is only good for listening to your SG going 'bang.' 00 just messes up target stands. A slug travels less a distance than 5.56 so it isn't the 'leaving the range' thing. Oh well.

Fortunately we can shoot right out back of our future homesite and we only attend an official range to sight in rifles at 100 yards. After we build the home I am going to set up a 100 yard range out there and an action shooting gallery

Burt will dig this.. I am also going to have a basement shooting gallery

We had to discontinue the use of slugs and large shot because of the damages caused when some people began shooting the main support posts. That causes the entire target line to collapse. Funny....right? Not! We get to shut the line down until it gets fixed, pay for the materials and labor to rebuild it and have a bunch of upset people while we do the work.

We are working on some range improvements that should once again allow us to not only shoot slugs but to also pattern loads (something we haven't been able to offer before).

As far as the range fees....you would be surprised at how much it costs to operate a shooting range - nobody is getting rich there.

The story on the membership is that we continue to work a lease renewal. I try my best to run an ethical operation and as such refuse to sell memberships not knowing exactly for how long a lease extension will be granted. Sure - I could sell you a longer term membership and then possible shut down before it expires but I'm not that type of person. We have been working towards a lease solution for well over a year. We are as frustrated as you!

What bothers me about that place is that they keep blowing smoke about doing some kind of membership. Every time they had a table at the guns shows I would ask about it. I always got the exact same response; "Oh, I have a meeting with the county about it next week." After hearing that more than a few times, it became pretty obvious that it was all hot air. Once I got a membership up at Clark Rifles, I haven't been back to English Pit. That place and the folks that run it can kick rocks...

It's too bad because this range was convient and close to home. I'm pissed off by the way so I'll try to keep it as civil as possible. For my birthday I get a new Remington 870 tactical, can't shoot it yet because the stock is too long. I order a shorter hogue stock/forend as a replacement and it arrives a week later, so now I'm ready to go shoot it for the first time after getting 00 buck and some slugs. I cut back going to English pit because it always is crowded when I can go and they raised the price. They were gouging already at $15 per person admission, to raise it to $17.50 on an increasingly crowded range is absurd. I noticed some guys shooting slugs at the 50 yard rifle range last time I went almost a year ago, so I figured slugs would be fine if the buck wasn't. I also think "hey, while I'm at it I'll take my favorite AR and shoot that a bit." So I get all my stuff together and head out. I'm told "oh nothing bigger than number 6 shot (or something) and we don't want to see slugs." I asked, why, didn't get an answer. I didn't take it out on the nice young lady but I bluntly told her "Okay, I'm not going to shoot here then." Hiked back up the hill pissed. I could have shot my AR but *censored* that! I'm not going to run over and buy more ammo for my shotgun, nor am I going to give you guys anymore of my money to shoot only my AR. This kind of garbage really pisses me off. Part of the appeal and pleasure of owning and shooting firearms is the sense of freedom, it's bad enough we've got federal/state/local governments cracking down on firearms rights, I think we could do without *censored* range rules that are not only idiotic to begin with, but selectively enforced. Is this how all ranges are run in *censored*-hole blue states like this?

rant over

So you made an assumption that was wrong and you're pissed at them for your mistake. Brilliant! Try a phone call next time....

There again....we've been having people that seemed to be trying to take out our main verticle support posts causing the entire target lines to fall. Sigh...... Could they have been the some of the same ones that helped trash the Stevenson range? Dunno...

The no slugs thing is strange. TCGC's 50/100 range is the opposite. You must use slugs and nothing else. Bird shot at a 50+ yard range is only good for listening to your SG going 'bang.' 00 just messes up target stands. A slug travels less a distance than 5.56 so it isn't the 'leaving the range' thing. Oh well.

It is frustrating when people tear up ranges. I dont go to public ranges very much at all. My Moms friend built a range on the back of his property for all the neighbors to use after his wife had a .223 zing past her head. He spent a lot of time on it. 100 and 200 yard backstops made out of cinder block to keep the dirt in shape with rail road ties for target boards in the front. Like 10 different stations for shooting skeet. REALLY nice spot. When you came through there if you didnt know it was a range you would think it was a park. I actually got married there.lol. But anyway one of his neighbors brought his son in law over there and the first thing he did was shoot up all the cinder blocks. Seriously disappointing...

Some people never have to work for anything so they never appreciate or respect anything. They just dont care. It sucks that we suffer the consequences of their behavior...

So you made an assumption that was wrong and you're pissed at them for your mistake. Brilliant! Try a phone call next time....

but i really did enjoy the part of the story where the op got a new gun and then it was to long and he really wanted to shoot but he had to order new parts and then and then and then....

I think English pit is a bit over priced but it's not a bad place to shoot as long as you go on a weekday. Made the mistake of going on a Saturday a few weeks back and had to wait for at least an hour before I could get on the pistol range. Maybe a warning before you pay on how many people are in the different ranges would be nice.

I think English pit is a bit over priced but it's not a bad place to shoot as long as you go on a weekday. Made the mistake of going on a Saturday a few weeks back and had to wait for at least an hour before I could get on the pistol range. Maybe a warning before you pay on how many people are in the different ranges would be nice.

Ask!

I know..let's try being thankful that there is even a range to go to,more than one day a week,in our county , . If u don't like the place,move on.Join clark rifles. only takes a few YEARS to get in.

note to CCGC mgr,I do not see ammo restrictions on your web page. I would urge you to add a banner under your 'rules and regs' listing.

oh,and could u put in an escelator for us old farts !? :)

I like English Pit. Weekdays are by far the best. I don't mind paying a little bit to shoot so close to Portland. It would probably cost me more to drive out to the coast range someplace or up into the Mt. Hood area. At least English Pit has marked range distances and covered shooting benches. I've met some nice shooters there and never ran into drunks or nutjobs like you can when you head out to the woods to shoot.

I would like to cut loose with my AR once in a while, but I understand why we can't shoot like that at the range.

My only real gripe about the place is that it is located down deep in a quarry and I have to hump my old and fat fanny up out of there with all my gear when the shooting day is over. Good way to give myself a coronary.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top