JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's a pretty high failure rate for any factory ammo. I'm sure the mfr would be interested to hear about it, would probably make good on it, and would like to know the lot number.

Not necessarily so for Remington (UMC). I bought a thousand rounds about 8 years ago because it was cheap and I needed some new brass. The math worked in favor when considering the cost of new brass separately. The ammo itself was pure "excrement". Lousy accuracy, smoky, soot and carbon all over the inside of the weapon, and yup, a bunch of misfires and "squibby" loads. Yes, one could make the argument that the bullet left the barrel but unless you're being attacked by gophers I seriously doubt that anyone likes the round dropping at their feet.;)

Based on the number of complaints aired on the various forums I'm sure that the factory is well aware. The real question is "do they care". Apparently they are selling all they make to someone so why should they?

I'm not familiar with any ranges that don't allow reloads unless it's an indoor range that requires "Lead Free" ammo or frangible bullets. There are a lot of indoor ranges that prohibit any bullet that isn't fully jacketed (although they overlook hollow points) due to the desire to reduce lead contamination in the air. Many reloaders are also "casters" so that may be the source of this info.

"Hi All.

In my search for a new indoor shooting range, I went to Bass Pro Shops today. Wow, was that a big mistake! I have never seen a more shooter unfriendly range than this one. First thing, when you go thru the doors, they have to inspect your guns, & your ammo. Then they install trigger locks on your guns, and rubber stamp your ammo boxes (no reloads are allowed, but I guess because I repackaged my reloads into factory boxes they were OK), then you're sent on to the range upstairs. Once there, the RO unlocks your guns, once again inspects your ammo..."

And, I've been to others...

Link

As for equipment, the most important piece of equipment is the one between the ears. To reload good rounds doesn't require expensive equipment. The major part of the process takes place in the loader's thought process. If they are looking for ways to avoid steps or the "cheap way out" it wouldn't matter if they were using the best, most expensive, equipment setup out there. (on that note, how many threads have we read here that ask the question "Do I really have to ________?", usually hoping they can avoid one of the various prep, load, or finish steps that experienced loaders just take for granted.)

I've seen excellent reloads produced with a Lee "Whack-A-Mole" loader where the rounds are literally hammered together. I've also seen reloads produced on a Dillon XL650 that jammed a 1911 with every shot.

Can't argue that the most important equipment is between your ears. Personally, I wouldn't load without being able to size case lengths to get consistent crimps for pistol, or load without being able to measure OAL and a few other things. I wouldn't load without a chrony because it's the only way I have to "estimate" if I might be getting too much pressure and of course I also don't want wimpy rounds. To each his own.

At least the round left the barrel!

...if you wanted to do a shooting class, the expectation was factory ammo. I'd have to confirm, but I even think that the certification for the action range at Tri-County requested factory ammo

I can see this requirement in certain facilities, and in competitions (whether I agree with it or not...). You can download a .45 in an action shooting match to give it enough power to send the bullet down range to impact a target, but to have a lighter recoil so you can get back on target faster - it could give a competitive edge.

Either way, I also enjoy to 'roll my own' and I take a lot of time to make sure everything is as perfect as I can. I am so slow in my reloading that I take as much time as possible to make sure every element is as perfect as I can get it. My wife says I am just WAY more anal than I need to be... what does she know. ;) (Happy Valentines day, honey)

Does YOUR wife help you with some of your reloading tasks? .

LOL... wouldn't that be nice! No, she just walks out and checks on me from time to time. I invite her over to see and she just says it's too meticulous and repetitive. I would enjoy her company, but she's not into it. When I get a progressive in a few years, maybe she's be more inclined to help with the pistol rounds as it will move along a little faster? Who knows. I think it's great your wife takes an interest and helps!

I heard a story about a friend of a friend who's wife helped him, and she smoked... he always told her not to, especially next to his gear, but she discounted everything he said. When she finished, she attempted to put her spent cigarette out in the ashtray next to the press. Well, unbeknownst to him, a new primer had gotten away from him while loading some brass, and as he went into the kitchen to get something, guess who found that primer with her cigarette? Needless to say, she didn't smoke in the reloading room ever again.

I think it's great your wife takes an interest and helps!

She even suggested I go ahead and buy the new scope I wanted. She thinks the new NXS 12-42X56mm NightForce sitting on top of my 5-R Milspec is neat.

Heck, she even encouraged me to buy the rifle itself.

BTW, it took me two previous tries to find this wife. I'm not letting her go for any reason, period. Eat your heart out fellow shooters. ;) ;) :)

benefits to reloading:
No TV to bother me.
You can customize each round to your gun. For example, lengthened my 40's by .005 inches 30 percent decrease in grouping size.
I have ammo when I want it not when the store is open.
Save money, which i spent of more bullets.
I can experiment with diffenet combinations.

IT IS FUN

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top