JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi Guys, I have to admit I'm addicted,too. I have most of the 70 series COLTS: Ace .22, full size 9mm, full size .45, Gold Cup, Commander and LW Commander. Also a Kimber Custom Classic from Clackamas, OR, a Pro Carry I and a Royal Carry. Two Springfield compacts; one .45 and one 9mm. And a Charles Daly compact that's usually under my car seat. I just picked up a Colt 1991 compact that has been totally worked on. It is a sweet one! My faves are the Gold Cup the Royal Carry and of course my new Colt. I don't have a camera so sorry that there are no pics, they are an awesome bunch!!

My first 1911 and newly acquired. Yet to be cleaned up.

1970s Commander with Satin Nickel finish and ivory grips.

100_3078.jpg

It was made in 1983, and doesn't have the firing pin safety garb. The Combat Government is the precursor to the Combat Elite, which came out in 1986.

I've always had a problem with shooting spur hammer 1911's, as I always get hammer bit. I put a few hundred rounds thru it last week, and only got thru one magazine before the usual hammer bite blood letting started. I've always wondered how anyone got thru the original 6,000 round Military trials with them back in 1911...guess all the shooters had very small hands!

When the gun was offered, Colt had an optional extended grip safety available for it, that matched the finish...I doubt Colt has any around, but I will be hunting for one. If I can't find one, I'll pull out the spur hammer, and put in a Commander style hammer with a drop-in beavertail grip safety, as I don't want to grind on the frame...I'd like to keep it stock as much as possible, and have the option of returning it to factory original.

Got my new grips from Larry Davidson, lets just say I shot 3 rounds very quickly and the last two went into the same hole, awesome grips!
CopyofPicture013.jpg

If I can't find one, I'll pull out the spur hammer, and put in a Commander style hammer with a drop-in beavertail grip safety, as I don't want to grind on the frame...I'd like to keep it stock as much as possible, and have the option of returning it to factory original.

Interesting - do you have to grind the frame to install something like this? I would have thought you'd grind the part to be installed instead.

Anyway - very nice looking gun. They just don't seem to blue them that nice anymore. (or, at least, that I've seen)

If I wanted a full fitted beavertail grip safety, then the frame would have to be modified...but a drop-in usually fits the existing frame tangs, with no grining. Not as purty, but keeps the hammer bite blood letting at bay! And yes, as a rule of thumb...grind on the least expensive part!

I love the blue finish on this gun, sad that they changed the way its done now...not nearly as classy. The per-war Colts are even better, back when they fire blued the finish.

I was in a pawn shop this morning and saw the following LASERAIM 1911. It talked to me bigtime and the price? $285!! What a givaway!!

Besides no parts availability, why are these '1911's so inexpensive?

The serial is G00xxx. What year would that be?

Seems to be in great shape!!

because they're not 1911's at all ?

they're good guns, but there isn't a single part that will interchange with a 1911.

But for what you paid you did very well indeed

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads