JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm more into Exodus and Machine head type bands but, did go see Orange Goblin with Clutch when they came a few months ago. Bad azz! The Sword show was damn good too.

Hey, I was at that show on March 30th! I was standing in the center of the front row. In this video you can see me at 1:12 to 1:16 into it. I'm the tall guy with the black baseball cap and long sleeve black shirt.

It took me 1 rehearsal of my university band to decide never to go anywhere near music without plugs. My hearing is still good, fortunately. A friend invited me to one of the 30 year Metallica shows in San Francisco in 2011, which was good fun and while I was plugging up, I got to talk with one of the guys working there, who was religious about it too. Never understood why it's cool to bite through the pain for a while and then "be used to it", which basically means lost hearing. Same with shooting.

My personal best concert was Nine Inch Nails in Holland in 1999, great great show.

Heck, I remember when Thin Lizzy was a warm up band. But, I have to admit my taste runs more to acoustic music than the 'lectric stuff...

Now, if you have some Blind Blake, Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Willie McTell....

Heck, I remember when Thin Lizzy was a warm up band. But, I have to admit my taste runs more to acoustic music than the 'lectric stuff...

Now, if you have some Blind Blake, Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Willie McTell....

Journey did their predictable more-than-competent best in 1976 at the Paramount NW. But I was there to see the opening act, Thin Lizzy, who simply destroyed the headliners with twin lead guitars, a near riot and 3 encores. Cowboy Song, Angel From the Coast, Rosalie, I'm a Rocker... damn.

While not necessarily "hard rock" I caught Warren Haynes Band (former Allman Bros & Govt Mule) in concert on Paladia TV a couple months ago. Soulful, dark and moody guitar player with a surprisingly deep bag of tricks. I'm impressed.

Chatted with a friend last week, another long-time rock afficianado, and was very sad to learn that Ronnie Montrose died some time ago of prostate cancer. Saw him once at the Portland Coliseum (Outlaws, Montrose, Skynyrd) in 1975-76, and twice more at the Bacchanal in San Diego around 1990. That mofo could throw down some stunningly heavy riffs.

First concert was David Bowie and Nine Inch Nails at the Rose Garden. Best show was always White Zombie. Won tickets to that concert afternoon I ate an entire 32oz jar of mayonnaise at the old KUFO studio. Favorite band that I never missed as a teen was Metallica. Saw Queensryche when I was about 16. All I remember of that one is running from security after a buddy puked in the halls of the Memorial Coloseum.

First concert was David Bowie and Nine Inch Nails at the Rose Garden. Best show was always White Zombie. Won tickets to that concert afternoon I ate an entire 32oz jar of mayonnaise at the old KUFO studio. Favorite band that I never missed as a teen was Metallica. Saw Queensryche when I was about 16. All I remember of that one is running from security after a buddy puked in the halls of the Memorial Coloseum.
White Zombie always seemed to put on a good show. Nine Inch Nails was good too but just not as memorable for me. I also really liked the Tool shows I saw.

Zeppelin.

At the Kingdome @ 1978, the "an Evening with Led Zeppelin" tour.

Psychic Jeanne Dixon said if they played the Kingdome, it would collapse from the sound level.

They tried for 3 straight hours to bring that sucker down.
It was great.

More "Day on the Green" concerts than I can recall. (inebriation contributes I'm sure) Nugent, Journey, BOC, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, J. Geils, Sammy Hagar, Mahogany Rush.

Some of my favorites were small venues, like Pat Travers at the Jackson County Fairgrounds.

You haven't been T-rocked 'till you've seen Travers live.

Journey did their predictable more-than-competent best in 1976 at the Paramount NW. But I was there to see the opening act, Thin Lizzy...

Ya know, I didn't appreciate how good Thin Lizzy was until recently when I got access to Sirius XM. Never had exposure to them - probably because the Portland rock airwaves have been notoriously poor for decades when it comes to variety. Sure, the station up here played "The Boys are Back in Town," but I don't think they EVER played anything else from those guys (well, maybe Jailbreak, but nothing else). Portland rock fans were/are an extremely deprived group when it comes to radio.

As an aside (hopefully not too far off topic), I have to say that I am extremely impressed by an album I ran across the other day. I mentioned it in passing on another thread, but it seems worth mentioning again on a "rock" thread. I didn't know anything like this existed. The album "The Glorious Burden" by Iced Earth is focused on events in world history, a lot (but not all) US-specific (American Revolution, Civil War, and 9-11). Really impressive on several levels. It was released in 2004, and I wish I had known about it sooner.

Link to "Valley Forge" :

Valley Forge - Iced Earth - YouTube

Close your eyes and imagine
the soldier at Valley Forge
The suffering that he endured was real
starvation, total war.
Yet in has eyes the iron will to win
and for the cause, he won't relent

Would he look upon us now in anger and disgust
His providence a birthright and our creed
Will we let ignorance and laziness bring our demise
Complacency, we're blinded by our greed