JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just haven't made the time to take them out and shoot 'em. I bought them and have them in the safe, have everything I need for them, just haven't actually taken them out and shot them.

I'm about to buy another gun, one that I don't even plan to shoot because the grips are unfinished and it can't be shot as it is. It's a TOZ 35M, which is a sort of rare Russian free pistol. It looks like fun, so I want one. There are plenty of aftermarket grips so I can store the unfinished grips for future use and shoot the pistol with more modern, aftermarket stuff.

This pistol has won some top level competitions so it's about as accurate as you're going to get. That's just cool so I want one. I figure it will be a lot cheaper to buy aftermarket grips for it vs finishing the raw blocks.

There will never BE a new set of raw blocks.

I have an number of guns I haven't shot yet - one I might never shoot if I find I can trade it for something - there just isn't any good place on this side of the Cascades to shoot a .50 BMG, and I've had that for years.

Hang your heads, Gentlemen - having guns and not shooting them is like having a brewery and not drinking.

If you had to go through as much PITA documentation and waiting time as we do over here just to own A gun, let alone four, by golly, you'd be shooting every day for sure, like me.

I shoot everything I have - a lot - and with nineteen guns to shoot, that takes some time, but somebody has to do it, right?

tac

Hang your heads, Gentlemen - having guns and not shooting them is like having a brewery and not drinking.

If you had to go through as much PITA documentation and waiting time as we do over here just to own A gun, let alone four, by golly, you'd be shooting every day for sure, like me.

I shoot everything I have - a lot - and with nineteen guns to shoot, that takes some time, but somebody has to do it, right?

tac

I here what your saying Tac.

But were spoiled here. And don't have a limit on the number of guns we can own.

When you have 19 examples of the same gun. Do you think one will shoot that much differently than the other 18? :D

I just haven't made the time to take them out and shoot 'em. I bought them and have them in the safe, have everything I need for them, just haven't actually taken them out and shot them.

Same here man, it happens. My only complete AR right now, a NIB Colt 6920, has been sitting in my safe for two years :s0084:

I just built my AR10 and haven't shot it. But it's only been a few weeks. So guess what I'm doing this weekend!
Chootin it!

I don't have "a lot" of guns, and only get one a year or less so when I get one I try to shoot it soon. Never know when you may need that gun and what happened when you in an "oh ish" moment and you pull that trigger. "Click" is the last thing you want to hear.

My problem is always optics. A few of my rifles have scopes or red dots and i need to get out and double check all those. I've adjusted a couple and need to make sure they are still G2G

Was all set to go try out a recently traded 1911 when I busted my knee and the only thing I can think of (and I'm a fairly big guy so this is funny too me) is having a crutch under each arm and getting off balance on those two death poles (about killed myself going down our stairs).

The picture I have is of me starting to fall backwards while accidentally touching the trigger in a reflex to stop my fall and just keep shooting till I'm on my back and kicked out of the range for good:D:p:oops::eek:.

In also guilty of building an AR but never getting around to tuning it in to work right - as of now it's still a bolt gun:oops:.

Tac. I don't really have 19 of any one gun. That was an exaggeration. :rolleyes:
But like you I do have duplicates.

And I have a few I don't shoot for there collector value.

I'm not sure of the collector value of guns over there. But I bet gun laws have a lot to do with adjusting the price [Just as it is here].

If for example you can't keep a gun in it's factory or historic configuration here in the states it looses much of it's collector value.
That's not to say it's shooting value. Which us much less. And a completely different animal.

Over there I'm thinking you must comply with certain laws that may alter your guns.
Things like Import stamps. Proof stamps. Length restrictions. Modifications to the action and capacity.
This may be the norm there and so it's accepted.
Is this right?

Over here. We are such snooty collectors that something as little as a import stamp will make a gun like a WWII 30 carbine ''Undesirable'' as a collector piece.
So finding and preserving original guns. In original configuration with original finish. Has a big financial component to it. Hence the reason for not shooting some of my guns. ;)

We still have a lot of mint guns here. So this mentality of standards, is for now firmly in place.
As I'm sure it was at one time in England.

Last Edited:
Whenever I'm fortunate enough to buy a new gun my world revolves around getting out and shooting it. Birthdays, picking up groceries all those things can wait 'cause I have a shiny new toy and it needs be broken in. :)

Whenever I'm fortunate enough to buy a new gun my world revolves around getting out and shooting it. Birthdays, picking up groceries all those things can wait 'cause I have a shiny new toy and it needs be broken in. :)

Your just acting like a new parent. And that's normal. But things will progress.

The first baby can't touch anything that fell on the floor.

For the second baby. You dust it off and hand it back to him.

The third Kid has to fight the dog for it! :D

Tac. I don't really have 19 of any one gun. That was an exaggeration. :rolleyes:
But like you I do have duplicates.

And I have a few I don't shoot for there collector value.

I'm not sure of the collector value of guns over there. But I bet gun laws have a lot to do with adjusting the price [Just as it is here].

If for example you can't keep a gun in it's factory or historic configuration here in the states it looses much of it's collector value.
That's not to say it's shooting value. Which us much less. And a completely different animal.

Over there I'm thinking you must comply with certain laws that may alter your guns.
Things like Import stamps. Proof stamps. Length restrictions. Modifications to the action and capacity.
This may be the norm there and so it's accepted.
Is this right?

Over here. We are such snooty collectors that something as little as a import stamp will make a gun like a WWII 30 carbine ''Undesirable'' as a collector piece.
So finding and preserving original guns. In original configuration with original finish. Has a big financial component to it. Hence the reason for not shooting some of my guns. ;)

We still have a lot of mint guns here. So this mentality of standards is for now firmly in place.
As I'm sure it was at one time in England.

Medic -I'm way too poor to 'collect' guns the way you can when money is no object. F'rinstance, a dealer not too far from me has a nice Model 1886 Winchester High wall - an original. Needless to say, at a tad over $11,000 it's not even thinkable as a purchase, and even if I did, to shoot it would mean getting it on my firearms certificate as a 'live' Section 1 firearm. Same goes for anything I want to shoot, including my two Canadian Sniders. Both are historical guns in every sense, part of Canada's recent history, and, because of the obsolescence of the calibre [.577 Snider], collectable in their own right as antiques. To shoot them needs them to be on my FAC, where they are right now.

Sadly, because of the ready availability of .45-70 ammunition of all kinds, EVERY SINGLE rifle or carbine, antique or not, is classed as a Section 1 firearm, so my dreams of owning a few Trapdoors or Sharps rifles and carbines is just that, and will remain so.

Given the price of that there High wall, I did the next best thing, and bought a modern replication.

Again, in yUK, we CAN own live-firing handguns of the kind that were readily available before the '97 ban, but only under draconian conditions. You can own it and keep it at home, but you can't shoot it. Or you can own it, AND shoot it, but it has to kept at one of six or seven 'secure' locations in England - none in Wales or Scotland - where you go visit it and shoot it as a matter of an 'intellectual exercise'. Neither of those options is something I care to lower myself to acceding to, having commanded a five-nation unit in uncertain circumstances in another life where I WAS trusted with a lot of guns and a lot of VERY big guns. It's funny, but when I take my clothes off, underneath I'm the same person as I was back then.

THAT is why I treasure my visits to Oregon, or back home to Canada, where kind friends let me shoot everything they have until those freakin' barrels glow in the early evening.

What would I collect if I could?

Well, I'd replace each and every one of my beloved Model 29s, have a few Lugers, have my PSG-1 again, and maybe replace the Walther WA2000 with both calibres that is now in the national collection. All my SIGS would be replaced, including the P220 that had my birthday as a serial number. For sure I'll never see my M1911 Navy issue [1915] or my M1911 Army issue [1916], belonging to Lt K Mallory, let alone my Singer Sewing Machine M1911.

Never going to happen.

We move on to what is achievable, rather than pining over what is lost forever.

Call me a sad old fart, I don't care. But I love my guns that I have now every bit as much as you love yours.

tac

I'll admit this has happened with me - but for no other reason than just kind of putting it off due to being busy with other things. Typically it seems to happen when I buy a gun impulsively such as stumbling on a GREAT deal on something I was interested in or had been looking for as opposed to actually going to specifically buy a gun I had been looking at, because the last few times I have done that what I had been looking at was GONE! The last being a Miroku 1873 Winchester.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top