JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I sold a pistol to somebody that "lost" it. He thinks it may have been stolen out of his vehicle. We did the transfer legally at a local FFL. He is reporting it as lost/stolen. If the gun is used in a crime and recovered, am I likely to get a knock on the door by authorities or will they be able to see that the current owner has reported it as lost/stolen?

I know some members think we already have backdoor registration. If we don't the tracing is suppose to work like this.

First stop is manufacture.

Second is distributor

Third is FFL retailer

Fourth stop is first customer that purchased the firearm (that would be me).

Fifth stop would depend on whether I transferred the firearm through an FFL or directly to the buyer.

Sixth stop will be FFL where I took the firearm for transfer.

What I am wondering is if the buyer reported it lost/stolen, would the feds get that info so it would interupt the normal tracing path?

Last Edited:
No I'm sure they will track it to its last known owners location they don't want to waste your time, they most certainly don't want to waste their time.

It pays dividends to obey the laws sometimes don't it!
A co worker at my last job offered to sell me a registered to him firearms off the books. I was happy I passed on it. I don't need that kind of BS in my life. Court systems blow big salty ones, I'm thrilled to over pay/whatever to stay out of them.

Good luck man. I wouldn't worry.

They'll see the report. You're good. At the very most, someone might call to verify the sale, but I hardly doubt it.

At first I thought the thread title said you sold a stolen gun. I was gonna call dibs on your dremel while you're in jail.

🀣

They'll see the report. You're good. At the very most, someone might call to verify the sale, but I hardly doubt it.

At first I thought the thread title said you sold a stolen gun. I was gonna call dibs on your dremel while you're in jail.

🀣
I tweeked the title to better reflect the situation.

I sold a pistol to somebody that "lost" it. He thinks it may have been stolen out of his vehicle. We did the transfer legally at a local FFL. He is reporting it as lost/stolen. If the gun is used in a crime and recovered, am I likely to get a knock on the door by authorities or will they be able to see that the current owner has reported it as lost/stolen?

I know some members think we already have backdoor registration. If we don't the tracing is suppose to work like this.

First stop is manufacture.

Second is distributor

Third is FFL retailer

Fourth stop is first customer that purchased the firearm (that would be me).

Fifth stop would depend on whether I transferred the firearm through an FFL or directly to the buyer.

Sixth stop will be FFL where I took the firearm for transfer.

What I am wondering is if the buyer reported it lost/stolen, would the feds get that info so it would interupt the normal tracing path?
You did a transfer at an FFL.The gun was no longer yours and you have nothing to do with it. If it turns up at a crime and they trace it, you will be listed as the last person to buy it, the person who got it transferred to them will be. That is the one "up side" if there is one to this stupid new laws that the sales have to be done this way.

If they did contact me I would voluntarily tell them I sold it legally at an FFL. Am I required to give them any other info, like which FFL, approximate date I sold it, buyers info, etc.

If they did contact me I would voluntarily tell them I sold it legally at an FFL. Am I required to give them any other info, like which FFL, approximate date I sold it, buyers info, etc.
If you give up your right to remain silent and assist.. they would undoubtedly want to know all that. FFL, when, copy of your sale receipt, etc.

You are not "required" to give them anything. Considering any investigation would be in connection to a crime, of which you have no part, I would keep my mouth shut, be polite, then express my willingness to cooperate..... after consulting with my attorney. Until then... I respectfully decline to answer any questions.

Last Edited:
If you give up your right to remain silent and assist.. they would undoubtedly want to know all that. FFL, when, copy of your sale receipt, etc.

You are not "required" to give them anything. Considering any investigation would be in connection to a crime, of which you have no part, I would keep my mouth shut, be polite, then express my willingness to cooperate..... after consulting with my attorney. Until then... I respectfully decline to answer any questions.
You wouldn't even tell them you sold it?

(*In class action info-mercial voice)
"This is NOT legal advice"

I'd tell them I sold it.. In this scenario I'd just tell them I sold it, where, and give a date verbally (if you KNOW it, DON'T GUESS OR APPROX. if you don't KNOW say you'd have to look it up)
anything beyond that I'd just tell them I need to consult with my legal "team" before going too in depth. That should be all they need unless they are digging deeper for you in mind. Don't give them any ammo for you. Just give them what little they require to further the investigation and be gone!

above all else DO NOT INVITE THEM INTO YOUR HOME no matter what, No potty breaks, no inclement weather, nothing!

Its easy to get in hot water, its much harder to get out. Its easy enough to just tell them you'll give them the info via a lawyer that way its all documented legally and they can't twist anything you said (like that one red flag case in sup court where the cop misheard him.. You know the one...!)

You wouldn't even tell them you sold it?
Eventually. ;)

The thing is, once you start talking it's increasingly more difficult to know when to stop. I prefer to say nothing and only make a statement after conferring with legal council and preferrably, with councel present during any questioning.

The questions may seem innocent, but they would likely want to know the name of the person you sold it to, how you became acquainted with that person or any ties to them, etc. If the deal was done though NWFA, and you tell them that, will they review your forum activity and find anything else that might peak their interest? (aka frankenpewers)

For all you know, the guy you sold it to has already been under investigation for possible straw purchasing and illegal gun sales. Maybe he's suspiciously reported several firearms stolen over a very short period of time. If they can make a case that you are involved in anyway, obviously, they will try. It's likely that only reporting which FFL you did the transfer though is sufficient without divulging any information about the buyer.

I respect the job they have to do, but then again, it's not my job to assist them or to "prove" I'm not involved and have no responsibility. It's their job to prove that I am or that I do.

Its easy to get in hot water, its much harder to get out. Its easy enough to just tell them you'll give them the info via a lawyer that way its all documented legally and they can't twist anything you said (like that one red flag case in sup court where the cop misheard him.. You know the one...!)
☝️This

I will ask them to send me a letter with the make, model and serial number of the firearm in question and tell them I will contact them if I can be of any assistance.

Now if my wife answers the door, she will invite them in for coffee and to watch true crime dramas on the tele. She is much more trusting of government than I. She supports bringing red light cameras to town too. Those things are ripe for all kinds of abuse, all kinds.

Only way they would end up at you is if you were the first person to own it. From the distributor to first FFL where they found the sale. Tell them it was transferred by a dealer with a Federal License. They claim they do not keep track of this but color me skeptical that they will not be able to see it was transferred. If they really can't just tell them where. That FFL has to keep the hard copy of the buyer. Only way you are in a "possible" problem is if it was just sold face to face before the laws changed. Even then they have to prove you should have known the buyer was prohibited. They keep claiming there is no permanent record of these sales but I believe that about as much as I believe a fat guy in a red suite fly's around every year giving gifts.
Now the guy that lost it? He should be doing a report. If he does not, and it turns up at a crime? They may well make his life not so fun.

I am not a lawyer either just my opinion from dealing with guns

First, you're over thinking it, if you did the transfer and the new owner did report it lost/stolen there is nothing more that can be done or you can do.

Once reported lost/stolen it goes on a hot sheet that most, but not all law enforcement can see.

If it does show up in a crime, yes, they may do an AFT trace and it could come back to you but if transferred in Washington all hand gun sales are registered with the state and the new owners name will pop up as last owner and not yours. If the new owner did report it stolen, then trace is done and the gun may be returned to the new owner once any court cases are over.

If you have not done a transfer as in many states you do not have to and there really is no procedure to do so, then yes, the trace will come back to you.

At that point it up to you as to whether you talk to the cops or not, but the more you talk the deeper they look at you for anything else you have done.

It's what they do.

Don't panic.

I ran into this about 10 years ago as I got a call from the local PD wanting to know if I still had a certain gun, I said nope sold it like 3 years earlier. I did not remember the name of who I sold it to and did not have a receipt any more. That was the end of the conversation and never heard back from them again.

So just relax and go with the flow, all will be well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top