JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's no legal requirement in Oregon or Washington to conceal. Thus, printing or even revealing it is not illegal.

What about the brandishing argument? RCW 9.41.270 section 1 leaves a fair bit of room for interpretation. If someone calls the police and says they feel threatened by your CC printing/showing and your demeanor. Sure, could all be just made up nonsense, but depending on the gun friendliness of the county's LEO it might cause some nuisance for you.

Last Edited:
Here's some info. I've posted a few times, I hope this answers your question about brandishing;

Open Carry of Firearms in Washington

A Review of Washington’s “Open Carry” for firearms law.

Scenario:
Officer Smith sees two men walking down the street. The men are laughing and talking as they cross the street. One of the men tips his hat to a lady as he passes. Officer Smith notices everyone is taking a second look at the men as they pass. Officer Smith takes a closer look to see what everyone is looking at. He sees both men are carrying what appear to be long-barreled, pearl handled revolvers in holsters on their belts. It doesn’t appear the men are trying to hide the guns. The men walk into a restaurant that serves alcohol and sit down for dinner.

QUESTION #1:
Have the men committed a crime by carrying their guns where everyone can see them while in public?

The correct answer: No
Washington is an “open carry” state for firearms. This means there is a presumption that carrying a handgun in
an exposed holster, for instance, is legal except where it is specifically prohibited. Open carry does not require
a license. On the other hand, concealed carry of a firearm out in public is generally illegal without government
authority.

Note: I use the word 'presumption', since there's nothing in WA State law that specifically in and of itself talks about open carry one way or another...forthwith, therefore, henceforth (lol)...it is 'presumed' to be a legal act. That's the way Wa State law works. If there's no law that specifically deals with it in specifics, its 'presumed' a legal act.

QUESTION #2:
RCW 9.41.270 states “It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm or any
other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time
and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of others.”

Can the men be charged? Obviously people are looking at them a second time when they see the guns in plain view.

In this law, mere possession of an openly carried handgun is not prohibited. In order to support an enforcement
action under this law the officer must be able to articulate (describe in a convincing manner) malicious intent by
the suspect or circumstances that reasonably cause alarm to the public. In either case, because open carry in
Washington is presumably legal, the articulation must include something beyond mere, open possession.

QUESTION #3:
Since the men went into an establishment that serves alcohol, can they be charged?

This could be considered a trick question since many restaurants have lounges and it would depend on where
the men sat. For this discussion we are assuming they sat in the eating area of the restaurant.

RCW 9.41.300 in part reads (1) it is unlawful for a person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly
possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility;
(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings;
(c) The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility;
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one
years of age; or
(e) The restricted access areas of a commercial service airport.
• This illegalizes mere possession at these places, including open carry, unless an exception applies.
Exceptions are spelled out in subsections 6-9.

What about the brandishing argument? RCW 9.41.270 section 1 leaves a fair bit of room for interpretation. If someone calls the police and says they feel threatened by your CC printing/showing and your demeanor. Sure, could all be just made up nonsense, but depending on the gun friendliness of the county's LEO it might cause some nuisance for you.

So basically,if you don't have your hand on the weapon like you are going to draw or you don't have the weapon out of the holster,they will have a hard case for brandishing .
Except by Green lake in Seattle they might draw down on you.

Almost forgot.I bought a remora holster for a small revolver and it works pretty well with shorts and a tee,or a button down.

I'm kinda with the mind set that you dress for the gun you handle best.
Some board shorts,that can at least tie around the waist,and any shirt with a nice IWB holster with belt clips.
So many options out there

With shorts and an untucked Carhardt heavy T-shirt I can conceal my Glock 27 and a Ruger LCP without problem. Anyone can. I carry the Glock in a BladeTech IWB holster on the right hip, and the LCP on the belt in a belt slide holster in the left 'appendix' position.

"What about the brandishing argument? RCW 9.41.270 section 1 leaves a fair bit of room for interpretation. If someone calls the police and says they feel threatened by your CC printing/showing and your demeanor."

Brandishing is a specific threatening behaviour. They have to be able to describe the behaviour in terms that "warrant" concern (in other words, "justify.") Simply feeling scared because you see something doesn't pass the reasonable person test.

Court cases have made clear that it does require a positive action with intent to "warrant" alarm. The proper question from a 911 dispatcher to the caller would be: "What specifically is the MWAG doing to cause you alarm? Nothing in particular except being armed? That's not a crime, thank you for calling. Click."

In the very hot days or when I will be in clothes that will not support the weight of a belt rig I use a Galco day planner holster. It works for me and I would rather have it behind a zipper than not have it at all.

images.jpg images 2.jpg
images 3.jpg

images.jpg

images 2.jpg

images 3.jpg

Brandishing is a specific threatening behaviour. They have to be able to describe the behaviour in terms that "warrant" concern (in other words, "justify.") Simply feeling scared because you see something doesn't pass the reasonable person test.

Court cases have made clear that it does require a positive action with intent to "warrant" alarm. The proper question from a 911 dispatcher to the caller would be: "What specifically is the MWAG doing to cause you alarm? Nothing in particular except being armed? That's not a crime, thank you for calling. Click."

Thanks for the additional info. I expected this to have been treated in courts multiple times.

We have the tri-fold pamphlets from Opencarry.org in my shop. If you stop by we have info there on both Oregon and Washington law, open carry, concealed carry, and some court cases in a pamphlet you can hand to interested bystanders or even the police. If nothing else, it's a handy refence to have in case you need to explain why you believe you're in the right.

See the location/contact info in my sig line.

I usually carry a S&W 'bodyguard' .380 in a IWB 'custom' holster with a spare mag in the summertime. Even with just shorts and a tight T-shirt I never, ever, gotten any looks or suspicious behavior around me. I live on Capitol Hill btw... And usually frequent bars, restaurants etc. around here, downtown Seattle, Fremont, queen Anne etc.
Never any issues.

In the winter when clothing help, I'll step up to my SA/XD/40.

I usually carry a S&W 'bodyguard' .380 in a IWB 'custom' holster with a spare mag in the summertime. Even with just shorts and a tight T-shirt I never, ever, gotten any looks or suspicious behavior around me. I live on Capitol Hill btw... And usually frequent bars, restaurants etc. around here, downtown Seattle, Fremont, queen Anne etc.
Never any issues.

In the winter when clothing help, I'll step up to my SA/XD/40.

Why is it that people have a knack for admitting to committing a crime with a firearm on this forum? Is it ignorance of the law or just the blatant promotion of "carrying wherever I feel like it"?

Weapons prohibited in certain places — local laws and ordinances — exceptions — penalty.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age

I don't want to steal your thread, just wanting ideas. I am a carpenter, I wear tool bags daily so something on the waist won't work. Also because of the hat right now I wear shorts. I wanted to do an ankle rig, but in shorts that doesn't work. Any ideas.

I wear dockers w/ cargo pockets, right front cargo holds LCP w/ laser. Left cargo holds spare mags. Also printing isn't brandishing unless you grab your shirt in both hands, pull it taunt across your piece and yell "Look at what the heck I've got here!"

Why is it that people have a knack for admitting to committing a crimW

Oh no, you busted me there! You got a knack for knowing the law. I might have, or not, done something illegal. I did, or did not admit it in previous post. I might, or might not work for an government agency that make me legaly able to carry everywhere...

But what I do admit to, was post an answer to the threads subject. How to conceal firearms, et Al, while having light clothing...

I hear ya! I've tried so many holsters, guns, clothes.
I think it's more mental than anything. You think people can see it or it's uncomfortable and thus visable.

I have a friend that carries full size handguns and it amazes me.

I think it helps to find the smallest gun you can comfortably carry. I'm looking for a new S&W shield in 9mm. They seem like a great size. I was going to buy a G26 but they're still really wide.

maybe re think (I think it helps to find the smallest gun you can comfortably carry.) to the largest gun you can comfortably carry. just my $.02

Been there--tried that. Carried everything from a full size gov't 1911 to
a J frame 38 at one time or another in the last 20 years, but there were
always times when it was "too heavy/too large/too SOMETHING"--and
the gun got left at home or in the truck.

Last 3 years, Ruger LCP. Crimson trace laser. Alabama Holster Works
Kydex pocket holster, right front pants pocket. EVERY day. ALL day.
It's in my pocket right now.

Is it the perfect carry gun? Nope. .380 doesn't have as much horsepower as I would like.
BUT--it's 100% reliable, small and light enough that I carry it ALL the time, and 7 shots
of Federal Hydra-Shok beats the heck out of pointing my finger and yelling BANG!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews