JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I mentioned this gun a while back and was contemplating buying it. The only thing that seemed bad about it to me is the slide seemed a bit loose. The slide "wiggle" seemed a bit pronounced. Turns out that was mainly because the gun was bone dry. Once I cleaned it and lubed it up the gun feels pretty much like every other 1911 made for reliable shooting.

On top of being extremely filthy to the point where I had to almost chisle crud out of the nooks and crannies it was a bit scratched up and had the usual idiot marks. The sights were also missing a lot of blueing.

I stripped it down, cleaned it, and then gave all the surfaces a good refinishing. I sanded out the idiot marks, sand blasted the exterior surfaces, and then bead polished the whole gun. I also reblued the sights. It now has a "kimber-esque" look to it but it suits the gun very well. :)

PS: I also changed out the grips and polished the barrel to a high shine.

Here is a pic of it before (you cannot really see the damage) and here are some pics of the finished product.

BEFORE
GCT.jpg

AFTER
GCT1.jpg

GCT2.jpg

GCT3.jpg

GTC4.jpg

Looks good PP... nice photography, like "on the cover of a magazine" kinda gun. :s0155:

I have a mid '90s Gold Cup that was originally all high polish SS. I'm not such a big "BBQ gun" fan, so I beadblasted the frame and left the polish on the slide.
After seeing your all matte gun, I might have to strip the slide and bead it too... or at least everything but the flats. :s0114:

Cheers,
C

Cool.. how hard is it to bead blast? I had some work done on my frame, so that there are patches on the back strap that are no longer bead blasted.. The smith who did the frame work is really backed up, so I'm looking into other places who might be able to finish the work..

Cool.. how hard is it to bead blast? I had some work done on my frame, so that there are patches on the back strap that are no longer bead blasted.. The smith who did the frame work is really backed up, so I'm looking into other places who might be able to finish the work..
It is as easy as buying a $20 bag of bead and a $12 blaster from Home Depot if you already have a compressor. :)

What PP said... or if you don't mind a drive out to Ravensdale, you can drop it off with me and I'll fine glass bead it in my cabinet.
You need to strip it bare, or if you don't know how, I can do it, but I'll need the frame for a day or two... 'cause I got a life and stuff. :s0114:

PM me if you're interested.
C

What PP said... or if you don't mind a drive out to Ravensdale, you can drop it off with me and I'll fine glass bead it in my cabinet.
You need to strip it bare, or if you don't know how, I can do it, but I'll need the frame for a day or two... 'cause I got a life and stuff. :s0114:

PM me if you're interested.
C

I might just take you up on that one of these days .. but for now it's a minor cosmetic issue and I'd rather just shoot it :gun08:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top