JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Long story short, I get a missed delivery attempt notification for a certified letter in my mailbox the other day, with the sender being listed as "Department of Justice." Naturally, I started getting nervous thinking about what "I did wrong." After a night of tossing and turning I went to the post office to pick up the letter, and it was actually from the ATF. I'll post the scans and let it speak for itself. Of course, I'd rather not be on their radar, but I'm not worried about it at all. The ATF can go pound sand. I'm more annoyed that they went through all this effort to harass me instead of actually fighting real crimes. Hey, at least now I know which agent is monitoring me. Hi, John!

Has anyone else ever gotten a letter from them?

Also, I have no idea why it has the word "For" handwritten by the agent's info.

ATF.jpg ATF(1).jpg

The "for" signature isn't unusual in government work. A lower level employee is signing off for their supervisor. "John" probably never saw it.

When I was a federal employee, I often composed and signed off for an installation head. He didn't like to write. I'd say, "What do you want to do about this?" We'd have a conversation, often he'd bounce back, with, "Take care of it, do what we usually do." He had a wonderful policy. If his phone didn't ring with a complaint from my section, he was happy.

Also, I have no idea why it has the word "For" handwritten by the agent's info.
It means his secretary (Oops, sorry, I mean Administrative Assistant) signed it for him. They probably sent out a batch, and his secretary, sorry, Administrative Assistant, was given the task of sending them out.

Translation.. The alphagnat agencies may be worried about blow back from recent events. They may be pooping them selves a little/feel the pressure. Maybe they should keep this feeling in mind and proceed with caution and diligence from now on.
That fear is respect.. "Its a good thing" when aimed at the correct folks.

I'm not sure how accurate the information is, but just today saw a video descibing how the ATF is getting buyer info from "gunbobber".

Since they aren't really able to get warrants on a lot of these overstepping "rules", supposedly they are making purchases from sellers of those type items and then flipping it back to intimidate the seller into providing all their buyers info and correspondences.

That opens a whole new dimension into online personal information security when your "everyday Joe" type seller is not likely to be well versed on privacy laws to know what they are legally obligated to provide and what they can legally withhold.

That's probably a planned element of the gun-grabbers agenda, too. Undermine privacy and trust of online outlets for sale and purchase of 2A related items to deter their use.

Sneaky mother-bubblegummers....

I'm not sure how accurate the information is, but just today saw a video descibing how the ATF is getting buyer info from "gunbobber".
They are getting buyer records when they raid vendors (like Diversified Machine) and seize their records. Then they send anyone who ever bought anything from them these letters (whether they ended up doing a form 1 or not).

They are getting buyer records when they raid vendors (like Diversified Machine) and seize their records. Then they send anyone who ever bought anything from them these letters (whether they ended up doing a form 1 or not).
I'm sure they do that too, but if, say... buyer "A" bought from DM, then "A" sold to buyer "C" via gunbobber, the ATF couldn't get buyer "C's" info from DM. They could only get that info from seller "A" or gunbobber.

I get what you mean though. They could have gotten buyer/seller "A's" info from DM and then pressured the buyer/seller into providing all buyers info reglardless of how or where he was selling them.

"A" needs some stiches... 🤣

This door to door type activity started literally the first day the new head of ATF started (I'm sure it happened before but not on this scale). It looks like a massive scale campaign from the top down. Rare breed triggers has been in the forefront of what they are targeting but there has been solvent traps and even purchasing 2 handguns on the same day drawing a door to door visit based on posted videos/accounts.

Last Edited:
Diversified Machine gave up all their records in a plea deal. I would look into legal advice on what to do if you're in possession of the items in question and exercise your 5th Amendment rights if questioned. Some are recommending documenting the destruction of the devices and providing that documentation to your attorney. Handing over a functioning prohibited item to the Feds might be used against you. Again, this might be worth the cost of a competent 2A attorney.

Last Edited:
It means his secretary (Oops, sorry, I mean Administrative Assistant) signed it for him. They probably sent out a batch, and his secretary, sorry, Administrative Assistant, was given the task of sending them out.
As @gmerkt noted, it is common policy to have designated people authorized to sign for a supervisor. I posted a 12 month schedule of 'actings' to sign for me in my absence. Obviously the people on that list were my most trusted employees when I was a first-line supervisor, and they were Section supervisors when I was a manager.

If an employee signs a legal instrument on behalf of an official without such authorization, the instrument is null & void ab initio. In my career I set aside decisions of field office managers if they signed documents where they weren't delegated authority to do so, much to their embarrassment. I don't remember ever having to revoke a legal instrument because it was signed by the wrong person, but there were times I returned documents unsigned because the signature blocks were made out incorrectly.

I would look into legal advice on what to do if you're in possession of the items in question and exercise you 5th Amendment rights if questioned. Some are recommending documenting the destruction of the devices and providing that documentation to your attorney. Handing over a functioning prohibited item to the Feds might be used against you. Again, this might be worth the cost of a competent 2A attorney.
I'm not encouraging any particular course of action, but there is also the no cost option to not be intimidated and kick the ball back in their court. You want my cooperation? Do your job and go get a warrant.

As far as I've seen reported about private citizen encounters they are currently relying solely on intimidation tactics... until they aren't, that is.

These guys REALLY need to keep away from the crack and fentanyl stored in the evidence lockers.
Hey now! When the break room runs out of K-cup's, ya canna fault em for makin due.

That's their story and they're sticking to it! Go Brandon!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top