JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wallet would thank me.

at the gun show this weekend

1000 rounds of Wolf 5.56 goes for $210...

1000 rounds of new brass cased PMC goes for $315...

1000 rounds of once fired lake city brass reloads $305...

call me an ammo snob, because I won't ever shoot steel cased ammo in my guns ever, but the money I could be saving makes me think twice.

Well now, think about reloading...

If you buy steel cases, berdan primed, you get to leave them lay, or to cleanup the area,you get to throw them away, unless you scrap them.. at $45/ton

If you buy new PMC brass cases, you can salvage them sell for brass scrap and get some $2/# or about $25-30 for your brass, the same for the LC brass.

if you save the brass, several reloaders I know, will give you 2-4cents each off your new reloads, or if you clean them all, upwards of 5-8cents to sell them by the 500 or 1000 lot.
They can be reloaded several times, and keep saving you money..

Humm, the decision is still yours and the wallets. just my .02c

Bryce w/ Ammoandextras.com sells decent 223 reloads for $280 per thousand. It is all Lake City brass. I've shot a few of the 55gr fmj & the 62 gr sp w/ no probs! A decent compromise between Wolf & other, more expensive reloads. He's a local guy selling ammo made in St. Helens.

FWIW, I've shot at least 500 or 600 rounds of Wolf, and only 1 failure of the bcg to return to battery. This was after I intentionally did not clean the rifle for about 300+ rounds to see how long I could go shooting that dirty stuff.

I've read anecdotally that the steel casings can wear the chamber & feed ramps prematurely, as well as the extractor-which makes total sense to me. IMO, thats enuf to NOT shoot it anymore along w/ the extra cleanings it requires. I've got WAY too much in my AR uppers to worry about a few cents a round when there are decent reloads out there or PMC for not much more.

YMMV

My understanding is that the older Wolf steel had a lacquer coating and a ring of red gunk between the primer and the primer pocket. One or both of these caused barrel fouling. Recent Wolf has a polymer coating and no red ring, and is supposedly less likely to foul your barrel.

My understanding is that the older Wolf steel had a lacquer coating and a ring of red gunk between the primer and the primer pocket. One or both of these caused barrel fouling. Recent Wolf has a polymer coating and no red ring, and is supposedly less likely to foul your barrel.

That part is true. However, the 'fouling' most folks speak of when referring to the newer poly coated wolf is the gunk that blows back into the chamber & bcg. Wolf powder burns much dirtier than others. Also, from what I understand after reading WAY too much on the subject, is that brass casings swell just a tiny bit in the chamber, preventing maybe just a smidge less crap into the bcg area. The steel in wolf does not, so a bit more crap makes it back into the chamber & bcg.

As jay said, steel is harder than brass and doesn't expand which allows more fouling into the chamber and receiver.

I ended up buying 2,000 rounds of the Tactical Ammunitions lake city reloads at the gun show this weekend and with the Hornady progressive reloader I just bought, everything will be reloads from this point out, unless I come across good deals here and there I'll pick up more.

Wolf is great for AKs.. SKS... other surplus rifles, but I wouldn't feel right shooting through my $1,500 rifle.

Before I started reloading I shot mountains of Wolf. My Bushmaster had well over 30,000 rounds of Wolf ran through it with over 4000 rounds in one weekend. Fact: it is the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot. I was lucky to get 800 rounds through it without cleaning it. That said I was shooting on a budget and felt it was better to shoot crap than not shoot at all. As for wear, my buddy now owns the Bushy and it is still rocking 100%. I will say I may have done things a little different if I owned a high dollar AR.

OR NOT?
9f6eacdad92a08071d20cbbcd1daae9c.jpg

I've shout thousands of rounds of wolf though my ar without a single problem.

It's great ammo for when you just want to load up the beta mag and obliterate a bowling pin. I have to clean the rifle anyway, i'd rather need to use a few more swabs than taking the chance of shooting someone elses reload and having an infamous "kaboom".

my DPMS extractor, barrel, and feed ramps are just fine and still fully capable of MOA groups at 100yards despite my skill level.

If I was worried about wives tales, I wouldnt have bought an ar15 in the first place. Didnt you hear? They're underpowered and unreliable P.O.S.'s that always need cleaned and will assuredly jam on you when you need it most.

If my dpms can take ~7,000 rounds without issue, and GRUNDEL's bushy can take more than 30,000 rounds, then any ar15 that cant handle wolf and laugh it off isnt worth its price tag

Russian guns like russian ammo, and my wallet does too. I was the wolf-man at the gunshow this weekend - you may have seen me with the cart with 223 and 7.62x39 :)

I ordered 2160 rds of milsup 5.45X39 for $299 delivered, about an hour later I found I could have gotten it for $292 from another source.

Should be here Thursday. On Friday we're headed down to Woodburn to the RV park that has had two "rabid" raccoon's there (see news on channel 12). The AK-74 may come in handy there!!

My AK and SKS get there native steel cased ammo. My AR and the rest get a diet of mostly new brass and some reloaded brass. I have not had a problem with Wolf to speak of but, I'm thinking if it was designed for steel i use steel otherwise it gets brass. IMHO.
Lefty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads