JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

150829_car_tree_660.jpg

And things like this.

Stuff happens. Almost everyday to someone somewhere.

I have seen people (Tappan was one) predict some form of "zombie apocalypse" TEOTWAWKI scenario for over 4 decades. Haven't seen that happen yet.

I lived through the Columbus Day storm, a number of lesser wind, snow/ice storms, volcano eruptions, floods, riots, economic downturns, etc. - all more or less temporary.

The only long term scenario I prep for is the one that is playing out now and has been for a while, won't happen overnight, that a LOT of preppers deny is happening or will happen (can you say sheeple?): climate change and "peak carrying capacity".

Just because it's apocalyptic doesn't mean anyone else is affected. It may be your own, private disaster!

Or......it may be the planet falling into the pit!

Life happens, you should be thinking about when the bad times hit and what you will do. Why? Because it will keep you from running in circles flapping your arms if you have thought about it before it happens.

Know people, smart people that spent a ton of money preparing for Y2K and nothing happened. If something would have gone wrong they were better set than anyone in the state. Today the economy has taken their jobs and they are going through real difficulties. The money they spent could be helping them through today's disaster.

Same with your health, you are doing OK today but who knows tommorow. If you want to prep then identifie the real threats and spend the time and money learning how to protect yourself from them.

I prepped for Y2K, but I thought it would be a low impact event because the world spent a lot of money and effort on mitigation. It was a real threat, but it was one that we could fix fairly easily, and we did.

I remember seeing a significant number of people selling their preps after Y2K.

:D Today you can pretty much stay informed about upcoming events that may need people to take precautions. You won't learn about them on this site because they don't want to talk about it even though it's a preppers section.

Weather is common and so are health problems but a lot of political driven events affect us just as bad or more so. There are things people should know that are headed this way but you are not allowed to talk about them here so preppers find good information sites and stay informed.o_O

A storm hit the park I had a trailer in back in 2009. It took out 6 trailers and several shed's. There was no way to know or prepare for the giant trees coming down. Afterwards the park decided to cut ALL the trees down at a cost to us of $250,000 dollars. I guess that was their ( the boards ) solution. With all the trees gone and the Herons evicted I sold the place and got an RV.

The way I see it, some dangers you just have to live with and there is really no way to prepare.

CIMG1738%202_zpszcpyinsk.jpg CIMG1752%202_zpspyaif51h.jpg

About 19 months ago I had my woods thinned. Took out trees that were too small, or too close to another tree. Also took out some trees neighbor was nervous about with regards to their proximity to his buildings.

Doing that is problematic; thinning trees sometimes makes them more susceptible to wind; they don't have other trees breaking the wind for them. Mostly I think I did okay; most of my windy weather comes from the SW, and I still have a good 500 feet of trees between the SW clearing and my house. My neighbor to the south, clear cut his trees, so now I get even more wind.

I do have trees that could hit the house, but I don't want to cut them down.

Ya have to weigh the threat of the trees hitting your house as apposed to the wind hitting your house. Thinning the trees would have been a better solution at Safari. Some of the trees at there were rotten inside and they should have tested and cut the bad ones down. There's no buffer from the wind there now an trailers don't hold up well to that. Glad I got out.
I like some trees!

The way I see it, some dangers you just have to live with and there is really no way to prepare.
There is always a way to prepare .We just decide we need a better place to live or such.
if we put money away before we move into a place,store some goods away from our house (all eggs in one basket) and keep o the cheap till we have extra money....
Maybe look at the place we are to buy or rent better, before we make the choice?
There is always a way to prepare

Life happens, you should be thinking about when the bad times hit and what you will do. Why? Because it will keep you from running in circles flapping your arms if you have thought about it before it happens.

Know people, smart people that spent a ton of money preparing for Y2K and nothing happened. If something would have gone wrong they were better set than anyone in the state. Today the economy has taken their jobs and they are going through real difficulties. The money they spent could be helping them through today's disaster.

Same with your health, you are doing OK today but who knows tommorow. If you want to prep then identifie the real threats and spend the time and money learning how to protect yourself from them.

I prepped for Y2K, but I thought it would be a low impact event because the world spent a lot of money and effort on mitigation. It was a real threat, but it was one that we could fix fairly easily, and we did.

I remember seeing a significant number of people selling their preps after Y2K.

I had a co-worker back in the late 90's that was convinced the world would essentially come to an end come Jan. 1, 2000. He spent every single cent he could buying food stores, composting toilets, personal solar cells and everything else you could imagine. He was paying a lot of money to go to Y2K seminars where they sold him even more of these things. When Y2K came and went without so much as a puff of smoke, I think he got a wakeup call. He settled down considerably. To this day, we still work for the same company, he seems to be doing fine, though he doesn't seem nearly as concerned as he did back then.

Sure, there are certainly some that take prepping to the extreme. But I think many, many more don't do a single thing to prep for the likely issues such as a big storm or other natural disaster. Just a simple plan for how you'll get back together with your family, where you'll meet, how you'll communicate, are probably thoughts that don't cross most folks' minds. Going further to extra food, temporary shelter, water supplies, clothing and self-defense, most folks assume it won't happen to them - unless, of course, they've either been through it before, or live in an area where it's likely to happen.

We've become more serious about planning for things like a big earthquake. We're working on a family plan that is based on being at home, being at work, or just being separated and trying to get back home. It's taking more thought than I had expected, but I'm glad that we already have a lot of what we need, we just need to better organize and plan. I'm not really expecting a zombie apocalypse or a major SHTF scenario, and I could be wrong I suppose, but being reasonably prepared is just a good idea.

There is always a way to prepare .We just decide we need a better place to live or such.
if we put money away before we move into a place,store some goods away from our house (all eggs in one basket) and keep o the cheap till we have extra money....
Maybe look at the place we are to buy or rent better, before we make the choice?
There is always a way to prepare

I'm preparing to move in with you, buddy!:) It sounds nice there!

Having limited access to money most of my adult life, my prepping stratagy involves buying the things that I already use consistantly and buying as much as I can when possible.

When I am gifted a chunk of money or win the lottery I'm not sure how elaborate my setup will be but being half hillbilly and half cowboy I can improvise.

but other than that?

Though my response was tongue-in-cheek, it was somewhat serious too. After an earthquake, the prep for day to day survival is going to be different than having roving bands of the dead as a constant, 24/7 threat. Theoretically, a zombie apocalypse would likely require someone to be highly mobile, never staying in one place for long. After an earthquake, your biggest threat, aside from aftershock, might be looters, if you have that problem in that area. Otherwise, it's hunker-down in one safe location and work to survive until things begin to be restored. Plus, an earthquake is likely to be regional. Local governments and infrastructure would be disrupted, but only for a time, and would be maintained outside the affected area at all times. It would seem that most zombie outbreaks rapidly become either national or even global events. In that case, yes, there is a huge difference in the two.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top