JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I own a Galco 'Concealable Belt Holster' that I absolutely love and have used for many years:

- Fits the 4-o'clock position with super comfort
- Rides high and has a fairly aggressive forward cant
- Draws and reinserts with ease, but is very secure
- Open end, but barrel not exposed
- Quality leather and construction

My only complain: You have to take your belt half off in order to put the holster on. This one factor alone means I don't carry 90% of the time that I'd like, since I cannot wear a holster on the job (empty or not). If I could find (and this is where YOU come in) the identical holster, but with Kydex or similar, clips for slipping it over the top of the belt ... that would be great. I am not interested in plastic holsters, fancy release gizmos or any of that ... I just want my perfect leather holster (above), but with clips instead of belt loops. I see several solutions online, but would like to hear from actual users. Here's my holster (but smaller since it's for an XD9 subcompact):

galco1.jpg
I actually mount the holster one click back ... the loops straddle the belt loop at 4 o'clock

galco2.jpg
Answer A above is aweome ... works great!

CONCEALABLE BELT HOLSTER: Galco Belt Holsters at Galco

Thanks in advance!
Brian

Lets consider perfect?

I wouldn't want clips on a OWB holster.
You don't have it held partly in place with your pants like an IWB. You could literaly sit down and have your gun lifted right off you. o_O
And how long after your separated from your gun and holster before you notice?

It may still happen. But it's Not as likely with an IWB holster. It has clips and it's tucked in your pants that help secure and shield it.
Plus your more likely to notice a holster and gun sliding down your leg, or your pants feeling baggy if it dose come away or a clip breaks..

Just a thought to consider.

Besides IWB hides the holster below the waist line except the clips. And a kydex shell fastened to leather will probably wear a gun less since there is less movement within the holster. [They don't flex much]
And it wont deform from sweat and water and let an edge engage the trigger some day when your shoving it in blind at the 4 o' clock position. [ Not much of a 1911 problem. But bad with a Glock]

Leather holsters like yours do look good at a BBQ. Or if you enjoy playing Peek-A Boo with your gun.
But I don't want the attention. ;)

I had one these for my Sig 239 and it's a very high quality holster. He was Lou Alessi's partner for quite awhile, so he learned from the best. It can be found cheaper than this, maybe at Top Gun Supply.
Close quarter-quick release (cq-qr) - Product Details

Thanks ... Bookmarked. Looks like it's maybe 5 degrees less forward cant. I doubt I'll find an exact match, although the forward cant is really helpful ... The one you reference is pretty dang close :)

Brian

I too wear pretty much the exact holster. Only mine are Winthrop. Which is a little less expensive than Galco.

Only thing I have seen in leather is with loops and metal buttons. Which has already been recommended. Kydex options are available and if you want a decent recommendation let me know. Otherwise I'll submit to your request and leave the plastic out!

Have you considered modifying yours? Adding clips on backwards and low enough that it would not change where it sits?

These sell for roughly 5-10 dollars usually.
$_1.JPG

Another option may to reach out to a company like Winthrop as they make custom stuff. See if they can custom make a holster at the same cant with a detachable set up?

Just some thoughts of mine, sorry if they aren't that great.

I usually just unbuckle my belt really quick, but I am curious to see your conclusion, as I too have thought the same thing.

Unusual retainment request? We have modified CrossBreed Super Tuck non Combat Cutaway inside the pants paddle holsters from the belt clips to the more secure belt loops. The opposite you are doing. Also we are fiddling with a more secure retainment system for the handgun itself.

The reason is we want more handgun security. Our practice take-the-gun-away-from-you drills have revealed a weakness. Too easy to strip you of your weapon. The pretend bad guys just pull off the entire holster with handgun. The practice drills resemble a slow motion dance routine.

Uh oh ... you guys have given me a lot of homework to do! BTW, this holster is for a light coat or sweater .... the idea is to conceal. With MY figure, it doesn't print and I've never been found out (in lotsa years....). I have other carries for other outfits...

bd

Hi, I own a Galco 'Concealable Belt Holster' that I absolutely love and have used for many years:

- Fits the 4-o'clock position with super comfort
- Rides high and has a fairly aggressive forward cant
- Draws and reinserts with ease, but is very secure
- Open end, but barrel not exposed
- Quality leather and construction

My only complain: You have to take your belt half off in order to put the holster on. This one factor alone means I don't carry 90% of the time that I'd like, since I cannot wear a holster on the job (empty or not). If I could find (and this is where YOU come in) the identical holster, but with Kydex or similar, clips for slipping it over the top of the belt ... that would be great. I am not interested in plastic holsters, fancy release gizmos or any of that ... I just want my perfect leather holster (above), but with clips instead of belt loops. I see several solutions online, but would like to hear from actual users. Here's my holster (but smaller since it's for an XD9 subcompact):

View attachment 357314
I actually mount the holster one click back ... the loops straddle the belt loop at 4 o'clock

View attachment 357315
Answer A above is aweome ... works great!

CONCEALABLE BELT HOLSTER: Galco Belt Holsters at Galco

Thanks in advance!
Brian
Wes Dahl at Privateer Leather builds some awesome Snap-Off holsters.
I have his cross draw for a Walther PPS-M2 and it's a work of art.
Here's a pic of something similar to that Galco with the snaps.
He will do whatever degree of cant that you want.
527ab3_b6548cf377f445c0bb006c4c35acea50.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads