JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I still have one that's decades old, the difference is the strap is along the handle, does not have that loop. They are a VERY effective close in weapon. Down sides is legality of course. Other is they can kill or maim if the user gets too aggressive with them. Back when they were common for LEO's they often put and end to a fight fast.

I am far more concerned about survival. If I was walking in downtown Portland, minding my own business and stumbled into a "tumultuous altercation that was riotous in nature" I wouldn't be too worried about the legality of my device.
(I have the round one you're discussing that's 12-ounces and the round unit that's 6 ounces with the strap on the end). This one is of superior (U.S. of A) construction and will work when "pressed into service".

Survival is the imperative.

The one in the OP picture, sometimes called a "slapper."

How about a roll of nickels in a tube sock? Pretty effective. Or some lead shot tied into the end of a sock, also effective.

Link to everything you need to know about saps and blackjacks:

Dad had his own blackjack that was brown leather. The 6-ounce round lead blackjack on a coil spring in the "flashlight pocket" of my uniform pants pocket kept me safe without resorting to my baton or revolver.

(That 6-ounces of lead whips around and will "put out someone's lights" in a hot second). I have been watching an online "refresher course on how to use both the blackjack and the flat sap. I understand precisely to that which gmerkt refers. These are bad@$$ weapons! Improperly used, they can maim and/or kill. These can also allow you to return a nasty blow, cold-cocking your assailant, permitting you to escape.

I repeat, the object is survival.

I still have one that's decades old, the difference is the strap is along the handle, does not have that loop. They are a VERY effective close in weapon. Down sides is legality of course. Other is they can kill or maim if the user gets too aggressive with them. Back when they were common for LEO's they often put and end to a fight fast.
They don't leave fingerprints

Boston Leather Model 5418 4ply Denver Sap with Loop:
Boston Leather Model 5418 Four-Ply Denver Sap Impact Weapon with lopped handle. The 4-ply black leather Denver sap is 9" long and weighs 10 1/2 ounces. Boston Leather saps are constructed of durable, heavy-gauge leather that encases molded lead weight with spring steel shank. High-quality leather sap. Made in the USA.
-
Nice choice for a non lethal upper hand . They are just a very underestimated and forgotten aid to keep handy .
I love my old school, heavy leather ( Bucheimer Junior ) , so handy to just slide in the back pocket of your Levi's when out of the house, or sometimes in the coat pocket . It will also slide smooth in-out nicely in the front pant pocket .
I just use a little leather polish and treatment on it ever couple years so to keep the leather in shape and not let the leather get distressed, dry cracked with age . A quality leather good will last you a lifetime .

It is a forgotten, solid low profile tool, that has an enormous added Ft/lb. energy to the snap strike. It's an honest joint breaker to a blocked punch, ' no head strikes needed ' .

Hollywood with it's Pew-Pew BS what it does with firearms, it the same with the SAP and always showing the Hollywood cliché sucker-Slap behind the head in the dark alley ...LOL . The SAP never gets portrayed correctly .
-

Using the "edge" of the flat sap and causing muscle pain is very effective. I'll put it rather bluntly. If I have to use the Denver Sap, my opponent will have a screaming headache, while wondering what in the name of Admiral Halsey caused that Titleist-sized "goose-egg" on the back of his head. By the time he regains consciousness, I want to be in the next county.

The Denver Sap arrived today. This is the finest Flat Sap I have ever owned. (I have had a few) this model has four layers of leather (two on each side of the unit). I like it a lot. Now I want a smaller model that can be readily hidden, yet be "handy" when trouble rears its ugly head..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top