JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I opened (and concealed) carried in Saudi Arabia... :)

One of my guys got hurt, and required evac to the Navy hospital in Al Jubail. A couple of days later, Top let me borrow his Humvee to check on him. It was a seven hour drive to the hospital. I was taking my Bradley driver with me. This was about eight weeks after the 1990 invasion of Kuwait and we had to travel cross country for the first two or three hours before we hit a hardball. We loaded up for bear: M60, his M203, my M16, we each had our 9mms, couple of M72 LAWs and M136 AT4's, Frags and a demo bag with C4 and Det cord. Better to have and not need then need and not have, right? We were prepared for almost any contingency :)

Seven hours later we finally arrive at the hospital. It's a field hospital, tents, lots of tents, surrounded by concertina wire and a couple of SP's at the entrance. We pull up, dusty, dirty, and a little road weary. SP's check us over and see the mini arsenal we have in the Humvee. They inform us that "No weapons are allowed inside the hospital." WTF? Seriously?

I have my driver park off to the side of the entrance, tuck my M9 9mm inside my belt behind my back (I'll be damned if I go in unarmed, screw the swabbies and their rules) and leave all the rest of my gear with my driver while I go and try and find my guy.

I find him, he's okay but is being sent home. He's one happy guy.

We say our good byes, I tell him he's one lucky SOB and to leave the nurses alone and go back to the Humvee.

Since we couldn't get inside the hospital to eat at their mess hall, and we had been eating MRE's 3X a day for the past 3 to 4 weeks, I thought that some real food would be perfect for us before going back. I inform my driver that we had a change of mission and that we were going to conduct an area reconnaissance to find a place to get something to eat before heading back north. He said "Roger that" and we off we go into the city.

It wasn't too long before we spot a Colonel Sanders KFC. Fried Chicken. Perfect! We pull up. The parking lot is empty. No drive thru. We park.

I ask my driver how much cash he has and if I could borrow all of it. I dig out all my cash. We have about $60 between us. He asks me what the plan is. I tell him we are going to buy $60 of chicken and take it all back for the rest of the platoon. I tell him to grab his gear and weapons as we will wait inside in the AIR CONDITIONING while we get our order. He replies with "Roger that!" and a big smile.

We sling our rifles and the rockets over our shoulders, he carries the M60 and we walk inside. There are a couple of Brit soldiers without weapons inside and some civies/locals. Everyone stops and stares.

One of the Brits says that we shouldn't be bringing weapons inside. I inform him that we won't be long, that we are only there for take out. :cool:

We walk up to the counter. I put the wad of green backs on the counter and say I would like to buy $60 worth of fried chicken. They don't speak English. The counterperson goes and gets the manager. He speaks English! I explain to him that we just drove 7 hours and would like to take some food back with us for the rest of our guys.

No problem he says. He'd be happy to help us and that they will take the US dollars.

We find an empty table to wait for our food and pile our gear next to us. It's too much of a menagerie to stack arms.

He gives us some chicken and a couple of ice cold Cokes to enjoy while they fill six buckets, one for each crew.

As we already had our hands full with our gear he and a couple of his crew carried our food out with us and thanked us for coming in and for keeping them safe. Big smiles and hand shakes all around.

Seven hours later, we arrived back at our lager area. The chicken a little sandy but still tasty and was enjoyed by all.

One of my guys got hurt, and required evac to the Navy hospital in Al Jubail. A couple of days later, Top let me borrow his Humvee to check on him. It was a seven hour drive to the hospital. I was taking my Bradley driver with me. This was about eight weeks after the 1990 invasion of Kuwait and we had to travel cross country for the first two or three hours before we hit a hardball. We loaded up for bear: M60, his M203, my M16, we each had our 9mms, couple of M72 LAWs and M136 AT4's, Frags and a demo bag with C4 and Det cord. Better to have and not need then need and not have, right? We were prepared for almost any contingency :)

Seven hours later we finally arrive at the hospital. It's a field hospital, tents, lots of tents, surrounded by concertina wire and a couple of SP's at the entrance. We pull up, dusty, dirty, and a little road weary. SP's check us over and see the mini arsenal we have in the Humvee. They inform us that "No weapons are allowed inside the hospital." WTF? Seriously?

I have my driver park off to the side of the entrance, tuck my M9 9mm inside my belt behind my back (I'll be damned if I go in unarmed, screw the swabbies and their rules) and leave all the rest of my gear with my driver while I go and try and find my guy.

We say our good byes, I tell him he's one lucky SOB and to leave the nurses alone and go back to the Humvee.

Since we couldn't get inside the hospital to eat at their mess hall, and we had been eating MRE's 3X a day for the past 3 to 4 weeks, I thought that some real food would be perfect for us before going back. I inform my driver that we had a change of mission and that we were going to conduct an area reconnaissance to find a place to get something to eat before heading back north. He said "Roger that" and we off we go into the city.

It wasn't too long before we spot a Colonel Sanders KFC. Fried Chicken. Perfect! We pull up. The parking lot is empty. No drive thru. We park.

I ask my driver how much cash he has and if I could borrow all of it. I dig out all my cash. We have about $60 between us. He asks me what the plan is. I tell him we are going to buy $60 of chicken and take it all back for the rest of the platoon. I tell him to grab his gear and weapons as we will wait inside in the AIR CONDITIONING while we get our order. He replies with "Roger that!" and a big smile.

We sling our rifles and the rockets over our shoulders, he carries the M60 and we walk inside. There are a couple of Brit soldiers without weapons inside and some civies/locals. Everyone stops and stares.

One of the Brits says that we shouldn't be bringing weapons inside. I inform him that we won't be long, that we are only there for take out. :cool:

We walk up to the counter. I put the wad of green backs on the counter and say I would like to buy $60 worth of fried chicken. They don't speak English. The counterperson goes and gets the manager. He speaks English! I explain to him that we just drove 7 hours and would like to take some food back with us for the rest of our guys.

No problem he says. He'd be happy to help us and that they will take the US dollars.

We find an empty table to wait for our food and pile our gear next to us. It's too much of a menagerie to stack arms.

He gives us some chicken and a couple of ice cold Cokes to enjoy while they fill six buckets, one for each crew.

As we already had our hands full with our gear he and a couple of his crew carried our food out with us and thanked us for coming in and for keeping them safe. Big smiles and hand shakes all around.

Seven hours later, we arrived back at our lager area. The chicken a little sandy but still tasty and was enjoyed by all.

Thank you for your service.

Cate

Side note:

My husband said that he has NEVER heard people say the words MSR -
Modular Sniper Rifle. He was WT Hey! LOL

QUOTE FROM THE LINK:

The Modular Sniper Rifle, or MSR, is a bolt-action sniper rifle developed and produced by Remington Arms for the United States Army.

~~~

He said that to the ANTI GUN LOBBY and their ILK - they must like to use these words just like they COINED the phrases:

SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL

'ASSAULT WEAPONS'

ETC.

According to the ANTI GUN GROUPS IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT TYPE OF AN ACTION IT HAS SINCE THEY CONSIDER IT A SNIPER AS IN SNIPER RIFLE!

So according to THEM any type of HUNTING RIFLE is a SNIPER RIFLE.

The Remington Model 700, an OLD classic rifle, IS considered a SNIPER RIFLE TO ANTI GUN GROUPS and to SOME PEOPLE whether it is in a 30-06 caliber or in any other caliber.

Geeze Louise! LOL

To MOST old hunters, some newer hunters, competition shooters, plinkers, and OLD GUN MEN who like to hunt and have since they were kids like my MT husband is the REMINGTON MODEL 700 is just a great old rifle especially in some calibers (30-06) for hunting ELK in specific terrains. It has a beautiful wood grain on it too.

He has owned and still owns 2 CLASSIC Model 700 rifles but he does not nor did he EVER call them MODULAR SNIPER RIFLES! Grin.

We learned a new term today. The ANTI GUN LOBBY must be really proud.

Cate

Spent a year in Saudi about an hour's drive north of Jeddah. Wasn't in a war zone at the time, but was building a small city for the Saudi NG as the security garrison for a western style science university at Thuwal. Just wanted to say thanks for your service, and good on ya for thinking about the other guys back at base. :s0155::s0155:

Thanks for the story! Well written too. And of course most importantly thanks for your service. You made a difference and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Anybody who has britbox watch some of their cop reality shows. Nothing but drunks, druggies, thieves, liars, no drivers license or insurance, and the penalties they get is a joke, lots of repeat offenders.you would think they were part of our present government.I consider them comedy shows.
That's called fiction.

MSR? Modular sniper rifle? I LOOKED IT UP JUST NOW.

Modular Sniper Rifle

The Modular Sniper Rifle, or MSR, is a bolt-action sniper rifle developed and produced by Remington Arms for the United States Army.

Huh? Say what?!
Despite what Googoo may return, MSR more commonly in use refers to Modern Sporting Rifle.... ie the AR platform rifle. :)

Despite what Googoo may return, MSR more commonly in use refers to Modern Sporting Rifle.... ie the AR platform rifle. :)
Modern Sniping Rifle... no way that definition is biased... :s0140:
Google's way of demonizing a common firearm owned by tens of millions of Americans...

Since when has a rifle been needed for sniping, let alone a modern one? It may be time to educate some of our esteemed brethren in the anti camp to the not so modern art of snipe hunting. MSR... :rolleyes:

I lived in AZ for a lot of years. Open was the only legal choice. We never could get CC passed there. In the out of the way small places no one gave a second glance. In the City it was a different story. MANY places would ask you to leave. I finally took to just CCing as it was only a Misdemeanor if found. The hassle was not worth open. It seemed so damn strange back then. When I was here in WA I could CC. We had it here before I was old enough to even buy a hand gun. AZ had a LOT more conservatives back then but we could not get them to vote for CC. Probably my favorite was I always have been a 1911 fanboy. Long loved the simple belt slide. I lost track of the people who freaked seeing the hammer back. Saying the pistol was going to "just go off". :s0092:
Forgive my ignorance, but my family has been in AZ since '89. I don't think I've ever known this state not to have a CCW. When were you here?

MSR-Modern Sporting Rifle
As in EBR- Evil Black Rifle
As in an AR15 type rifle.
As opposed to blue steel and walnut.

Joe
Oh yes,

I have heard of this TERM, another bunch of SALAMI to appease the ANTI GUN CROWD - LOL, and my husband said something to me later on AFTER I signed out.

But HE NEVER CALLED HIS FORMER AR TYPE OF RIFLE - a MODERN SPORTING RIFLE. LOL

NO one that I know uses those words!

They will call their rifle an AR 15 or a semi automatic rifle in such and such brand name, etc.

HE CALLED his former MADE IN MAINE BUSHMASTER .223 semi automatic rifle - his BUSHMASTER rifle. He did not say my AR 15 type of rifle, bla, bla.

He NEVER CALLS any of his rifles - MODERN SPORTING RIFLES. HE never did and NO one that we know who owns them or does not own them calls their rifle modern sporting rifles.

They call them such and such brand name, etc.

I have heard the words evil black rifle or black rifle more often and the words assault weapon.

My former MADE IN CT Marlin Papoose with it's floating BLUE case was a break down - semi automatic rifle AND it was black so to SOME OF THOSE ANTI GUN FREAKS... it was an EBR or an assault weapon. LOL Geeze Louise.

SO when the anti gun crowd or the pro gun crowd WANTS to make a gun sound LESS SCARY - you know that crapola called FEELINGS, they USE THOSE WORDS = MODERN SPORTING RIFLES.

MOST OF THE TIME WHEN 'WE' HEAR OR READ THOSE WORDS 'ASSAULT WEAPONS' - THAT IS WHAT ALL OF THE ANTIS USE FOR VARIOUS BRANDS IN AR RIFLES OR LIKE YOU GUYS SAY AR PLATFORMS.

SO ASSAULT WEAPONS IS WHAT IS USED THE MOST FOR THOSE RIFLES EVEN THOUGH I DETEST THE WORDS - 'ASSUALT WEAPON' BECAUSE ANY HUMAN BEING USING any TYPE OF GUN not only a RIFLE can do a DIRTY DEED or SAVE A LIFE.

IT is all about the HUMAN BEING'S ACTIONS - intentions using any TYPE of firearm or any other OBJECT or tool to do a dirty deed - crime or to SAVE A LIFE using a firearm or any other THING.

The SNIPER WORD is gaining more traction in the anti gun crowd too.

THAT IS IN THE NEWS A LOT and if they had THEIR WAY... those would be gone too.

They want them all gone.

The anti gun groups, anti gun politicians and their ILK are ALL ABOUT CONTROL - PEOPLE CONTROL and TONS MORE.

THEY CAN'T STAND MANY FREEDOMS!

They USE THEIR EMOTIONS and 'FEELINGS' when they get ALL UPSET about PRO GUN people having the CHOICE to own or not own a firearm or any other type of TOOL that they consider evil, lol, as IF AN INANIMATE OBJECT has a pulse or can breathe.

Take care.

Cate
Added more and typos.

Last Edited:
But HE NEVER CALLED HIS FORMER AR TYPE OF RIFLE - a MODERN SPORTING RIFLE. LOL

NO one that I know uses those words!
Well, same here. I don't know when the term started being used. I'd bet it was some gun writer or blogger. Because we all just call it an AR. Period.

But I'm wondering also if it came about because of the "In Common Use" decision by SCOTUS. As in ... it's not an "assault weapon" in it's common use among shooters and hunters, it is rather a "Modern Sporting Rifle". (since they have become so popular and are used for sporting purposes)

Yes, the other def of the term is biased. Remember when the antis messed up Bushmaster (my first AR and AFAIK one carried by a lot of Vietnam vets) because the rifle used in the Muhhamad/Malvo sniping spree was made by Bushmaster. I think they are trying to get people to associate all ARs with that incident. Again. Sigh.

I don't care what they call it... I ignore their tiny little misguided minds. Buncha sickos.

Forgive my ignorance, but my family has been in AZ since '89. I don't think I've ever known this state not to have a CCW. When were you here?
I was there on and off since the early 60's. Last time I left was 91. IIRC it was a couple years after my last departure they finally got the law makers to pass the first CC law. Every time we tried to get it passed while I was there the "open carry" is the excuse the GOP used to not push it. It was VERY frustrating at the time. WA had what amounted to shall issue from the time I was old enough to know what it meant. They would ask why you wanted the permit here but it did not matter what you said, they just issued it. When I got my new one here when I came back the question was still on the form and the lady drew a line through it. Saying "we no longer bother to ask this anymore with a smile on her face.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top