JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, as some have said the Idaho pan handle is changing with the influx of new folks. Sand point has been somewhat blue politically for a long while but they do believe in guns and freedom but more liberal on many other topics, they have a more Libertarian live and let live attitude.

Kootenai county, Coeur d Alene area does have a few members on its current board that want to change a number of things giving them more power and less to the people but we will see if they stay in office much longer.

Only time will tell if the influx of folks will change this area and how it will change it but for now other than traffic not much has changed. Give it a couple more years then we will see the damage if there is any.

Open carry has been in place in Idaho sense the state became a state so it is not uncommon to see it but now with Constitutional carry most carry concealed as there are so may other options out there rather than just on the hip.

I see more open carry folks during hunting season as they carry backup so when heading out or coming back they will stop get Ice or other things at the store so instead of taking the firearm off the just carry it in the store.

dosomethingtx.jpg

If your worried about the VID I hate to tell you but there has been a high number of breakthrough cases reported in Spokane and Coeur d Alene in the last 3 to 4 weeks so even the protected are not protected.
I'm not in the medical profession to know any differently, but word from the CDC is this. If you have been vaccinated and experience a breakthrough infection of Covid, typically your symptoms are greatly reduced. And, your chances of dying are very low, much lower than if you hadn't been vaccinated.

The number of breakthrough cases of Covid in vaccinated people is low. A generally accepted number is 2%. So it's disingenuous to think, "Why get vaccinated? I might get Covid anyway."

The only real way to know how effective vaccination is as protection from Covid is to look at statistics. Which are compiled through various health agencies by the CDC. These statistics demonstrate a clear fact: That areas with higher percentages of vaccinated public have lower cases of Covid. The numbers are just too big to be a coincidence.

I'm not in the medical profession to know any differently, but word from the CDC is this. If you have been vaccinated and experience a breakthrough infection of Covid, typically your symptoms are greatly reduced. And, your chances of dying are very low, much lower than if you hadn't been vaccinated.

The number of breakthrough cases of Covid in vaccinated people is low. A generally accepted number is 2%. So it's disingenuous to think, "Why get vaccinated? I might get Covid anyway."

The only real way to know how effective vaccination is as protection from Covid is to look at statistics. Which are compiled through various health agencies by the CDC. These statistics demonstrate a clear fact: That areas with higher percentages of vaccinated public have lower cases of Covid. The numbers are just too big to be a coincidence.
The only way to have valid statistics on the long term efficacy and safety of the product is to also have a control group.

You also need TIME to develop statistics, something we have not had enough of to quantify results yet! That 2% now could change to 30% by Christmas, or not, but until we can quantify results in time, this is all just mental masturbation, and what's worse, stating todays stats as FACT is disingenuous!

The only way to have valid statistics on the long term efficacy and safety of the product is to also have a control group.
The CDC is conducting some studies of the efficacy of the Covid vaccines, how many or what parameters I don't know. "Long term" means it takes a while and the Covid pandemic hasn't been going all that long in terms of viable study timelines.

One thing people at the CDC suspect is that the prophalactic effect of the vaccines will fade sooner than later. Which suggests that booster shots will be beneficial, especially since several variants of the Covid have evolved since the initial outbreak.

That 2% now could change to 30% by Christmas,
You only know what you know up to the moment. You cannot know something that hasn't happened.

An increase by 15 times of breakthrough cases doesn't seem likely, given that the vaccinations started back in Feb. But who knows, anything can happen.

The CDC is conducting some studies of the efficacy of the Covid vaccines, how many or what parameters I don't know. "Long term" means it takes a while and the Covid pandemic hasn't been going all that long in terms of viable study timelines.

One thing people at the CDC suspect is that the prophalactic effect of the vaccines will fade sooner than later. Which suggests that booster shots will be beneficial, especially since several variants of the Covid have evolved since the initial outbreak.
I gotta add this - prior to Covid and the new director I had 100% confidence that the CDC was dedicated to it's charter, that of disease control. It appears that a LOT of their activity has become political especially since the new director took over.

WTF are they focusing on :gun violence" as a disease? Aren't there a couple more pressing issues going on right now like that pandemic thing and medical errors, both of which far outstrip deaths by firearms even factoring in suicides. The health issue isn't guns it's why are people killing each other or themselves regardless of implement. Firearm legislation, which is the obvious intent, is way TF outside their scope.

I'm almost of wary and skeptical of them anymore than I am of CNN or Xinhua.

When I was stationed in ID, I open carried many times since I lived off base and I'd get many compliments and positive discussions about 2A issues. I was at the local moto shop there in town and often there were foreigners who were part of a detachment stationed state side would ask out of curiosity why people around here carry guns. Gives you perspective as to why US is unique with having a 2A provision to confirm our right to bear arms.

I don't know why you would trust them anymore.

Also, what thread am I in here? Oh yeah, first open carry experience. Mine was with friends. Nobody said boo and we had a fine time. I recommend that your first time you have someone along for moral support. It doesn't really matter if they OC too. In these troubled times I'd like to see a lot more of it. If I weren't going maskless a lot of places I'd do it in town as well as in rural areas. Pretty sure someone will come along soon and tell me that it's all the more reason, but I figure it's a little less bait for some Karen.

Last Edited:
I guess I am a little confused with this statement.

You come in as a newbee, start talking a little 'trash' and then you accuse people of not being 'excellent' to new people ?

Have you ever been 'new' to anything ? Like a job, a military post/unit, a new group of friends, a club or organization? RARELY have I been to a new 'place' in life and been treated necessarily 'excellently' by all involved.

In case you have never experienced this it's always a good idea to have your 'hat in your hands' and maybe be a little humble in your new surroundings, take some time to figure out who is who instead of coming in with an attitude and start slingin' chit because all that is going to do is get it thrown right back at you.

Take a few days 'off', think about it and come back and try again with a different perspective.....
Words to live by.....

Read The Room

I don't know why you would trust them anymore.

Also, what thread am I in here? Oh yeah, first open carry experience. Mine was with friends. Nobody said boo and we had a fine time. I recommend that your first time you have someone along for moral support. It doesn't really matter if they OC too. In these troubled times I'd like to see a lot more of it. If I weren't going maskless a lot of places I'd do it in town as well as in rural areas. Pretty sure someone will come along soon and tell me that it's all the more reason, but I figure it's a little less bait for some Karen.
So , first time open carry is like that first time you drop acid?

prior to Covid and the new director I had 100% confidence that the CDC was dedicated to it's charter, that of disease control. It appears that a LOT of their activity has become political especially since the new director took over.
I don't have much argument with this statement. It's a shame that a public health issue became so political. After all, isn't it in the interest of ALL United States citizens to be healthy? Re. the credibility of the CDC, I don't think they are dummying up stats to any great degree. That would involve many people across a spectrum of sources, I don't think any government agency is capable of carrying out a wide conspiracy such as that. Once again, I freely admit I could be wrong.
If I have erred in entering into this subject, I apologize. However, the OP included comments along this line so I thought it was fair discussion. You have my solemn promise that I won't engage in any furture discussion on the matter in any NWFA threads. I imagine that most here already have their minds made up anyway. I'm older and have some health issues, so potential dangers of the Covid virus have made a strong impression on me.

My first open carry experience was in 1970, way before anybody cared. I outgrew the practice once the novelty wore off; now I only open carry when I'm in outback areas. Not against wildlife, but more for protection against tweakers and other assorted criminals in the wild. Otherwise, I have a concealed carry permit for use in inhabited areas, should I feel it necessary to use it. After all, members of the public "not knowing" has its advantages.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top