JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I went down to Sportsman's Warehouse today and they had a special pricing on a little Nikon Pro Staff it's one of the long range BDC 4-12 power w with a 40mm front end.

I bought a set of 1 inch Riser rings and slapped it on top of the rail.
I was a little bit concerned that the front end might be too close to the handguard. Here's some pictures I think I've probably got a millimeter of Clarence between the handguard and the scope. do you think this is going to give me trouble or am I a okay to leave it the way it is. I don't know if the handguard moves around on your shooting it or not.
IMG_20190211_165624034_HDR.jpg IMG_20190211_165541643_HDR.jpg

I was watching one of the slow-mo videos in the "post your favorite" video section and it appears that at least with that rifle, it's the barrel that whips about like a noodle inside the handguard although you can see some vibration transmitted the optic cover when the bolt is in full recoil -- see especially at 3:51: Favorite Gun Videos

You are probably going to have trouble getting a proper cheek weld with those low rings. Should have gotten the AR height rings for the proper cheek weld. I wouldn't worry about the handguard touching the scope, you have plenty of room there.

Dremel....

I like low optics and I have a low cheek weld.

If it stays true and handguard doesn't bop it, leave it alone if it's comfortable to shoot

You are probably going to have trouble getting a proper cheek weld with those low rings. Should have gotten the AR height rings for the proper cheek weld. I wouldn't worry about the handguard touching the scope, you have plenty of room there.

This.

That scope is too low and not because of the handguard issue. The standard AR scope height is just over 1.5" above the picatinny rail, but 1.93" also has a large following as is gets you above top rail mounted lights and lasers such as the DBAL-A3, as well as thumb over holds. Even taller mounts like 2.04" for gas masks and NOD/NVG use.

I have a few Nikons (P233 & Buckmaster) and personally they give me a lot of eye relief problems. I feel they are very bright and clear for the money but finding a good spot to mount vs stock length of pull is an issue. I just replaced the P223 with a Leupold and was amazed how much better I shot that rifle and swapped the rifle with the Buckmaster with a 1-6 Truglo and was better on the 2nd rifle as well. Although I was able to shoot 1/4 three shot group with the Buckmaster now on a PA10 at 50 yards, it's mounted ridiculously far back to enable me to get a clear sight picture.

Edit: I am using Nikon rings

That is a drag, I told the guy I was putting it on my AR, I even showed him the picture of it. I've practiced shouldering it and it does seem like I have to force my upper jaw into it a little more than I am used to... Crap.

There is low and then there is digging your face into the stock. The in-line design of an AR pretty much dictates a higher line of sight than most rifles.
True.
This is my lowest though @ 1.125" —- 3/8" below standard on the AR-10 centerline to top of rail. It's not uncomfortable for me. Benefits maybe if a 30mm tube?

My Vortex Spitfire from top of rail to centerline is 1.5" (standard) on the -15.

0437C920-423A-4E6A-B7FA-EFE06BE0AF64.jpeg

That is a drag, I told the guy I was putting it on my AR, I even showed him the picture of it. I've practiced shouldering it and it does seem like I have to force my upper jaw into it a little more than I am used to... Crap.

Yeah, you shouldn't have to do that. You the weapon to come up shoulder pocket and naturally align with your line of sight. That line can very from person to person as @Boboclown noted with higher cheeks bones or as mentioned above it could be an equipment issue such a gas mask.

That was my issue with it, thing was a tank, but high quality low weight mounts are costing big bucks. Hell Geissele is cheap compared Scalrworks and Spurh.
Yeah, probably bulkier to compensate for material. Or just easier to make that way to cut costs. But on the plus side, makes for a good blunt object when out of ammo.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top