Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I need Your help on Picking out my Next handgun:confused:

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by glockguy, Aug 3, 2009.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Soo I have been Shopping around and I have picked out 4 guns i am debating against.

Taurus PT140
    Glock 27 (which I have owned befor, but disliked cause of no Manual safety)
    Kahr MK40 (more like in the $600-700 Range:()
    OR the Springfield XD40 Subcompact.

Wat are your guys opinions on these guns and what do you suggest? or wat are ones around the 500 range you think are good? In .40cal

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I would choose the G27 for compactness, weight, and reliability.

3. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I would also choose the Glock out of the three choices.

I would take a Kahr over all of them. The Kahr is closer to $580 though.

4. JC9995

JC9995 Greater "Clackamas" Active Member

G27, YOU are the external safety. :)

5. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

The taurus is the only one with a manual safety...or you can get it DAO.

But....I'd go for Glock.

6. glockguy

The Taurus is 350-400

But I would LOVE a Kahr MK40. I have Learned to get over the manual safety thing. Iv found that the proper holster is the KEY

7. fromotoc

fromotoc Downtown Portland, OR Member

I sure hope the Taurus is not in the $500 range, that is WAY too much for a taurus. I would go with the glock if those are what you're looking at, or just go for a 1911. In the $500-ish range you could probably find a Sig Sauer in .40 used, if you look hard, which I would recommend over the others. The Kahr would be a great choice, too.

8. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

For cost I would get a Smith/Wesson Sigma 40 as it is very simular to the glock and alot cheaper. I have had one for a long time and never had an issue even eats reloads no problem. Glock had patent infringments against Smith when they first came out because they were so simular. I carried it for a long time and never worried about the internal safety always carried chambered. just decided to switch to a kimber for slimness in summer.

I have a Taurus 145 pro for short compactness for leather M/C coat and a 940 for whatever. They are both fine but prefer a kimber for overall concealment. If you want to try the 145 out PM me. I have several types you can try if you want to shoot before buying a new one.

Just buy one of each you are looking at and tell the old lady "you need to accessarize too".:D

9. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:I'm going to remember that one.:laugh::laugh:

10. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Let me know how that goes. Put a sleeping bag out in the dog house before you bring it up... :laugh:

11. glockguy

I would accessorize if i had the money lol.. I own a CZ Rami 2075 in .40 and I just dislike it.. I dunno why.. I just dont enjoy shooting it

12. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Recently picked up a Browing Hi Power in .40 off Gunbroker.... I think I paid a bit over $500 for it. Mag is ten round in the .40's, no one has any larger capacity ones that I know of. In the 9mm BHP's I've seen up to 17 rounds.... 13 and 15 are common, and don't project below the well.

There are a couple on GB right now, Wade's in Belvue have one in stock, a very recent one, their first auction just ended at $550 reserve not met..... perhaps call them and ask what they REEALLY want for it as a walk in pay cash and take it away..... but then , it looks like you're an Oregon resident.... so that means shipping and transfer, but no beans for Queen Christine.... BBUT--- if you check out GB, do a search for Browning Hi Power .40 under semi-auto pistols, there are at least two besides Wade's. If you can't find them, PM me and I'll send the item numbers... I've got every BHP in my watch list.....

13. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I have seen it in the ads....Just convince the ol' lady it fits her better and now you need to find the right one for you. How do you think my wife has 5 handguns that fit her better:rofl1: and you never have to sell any to get a new one.:D besides I thought she had a $1500 trade value.:p

14. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

Go shoot them at a range and get the one that feels/shoots best for you. Handguns are pretty individual...its worth spending some range time before buying.

(I'm a fan of the M&P series and wish I'd tested before buying...woulda saved me from buying a handgun I didn't like before I found the M&P)

15. el gringo loco

el gringo loco PDX Member

;):D So I need to ask, how does a guy who goes by the name glockguy dislike a gun because of no manual safety? To me, that is the biggest advantage of the glock--stupid simple and rugged.

I have never shot an XD in compact form, but the full size was the most comfortable handgun I have ever shot (it just fit my hands perfect). That said, I carry a Glock about half the time and love it.

So my advice, if for no other reason than to stay true to your screen name, is go with the Glock.

16. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

You didn't say, but I think you want a carry gun so the Glock should be fine, and in your price range. If you like the Kahr MK-40, take a look at the CW-40 it's not a MK or PM but a pretty nice gun for the money IMO.

17. glockguy

Yea My girl loved my glock... And She wants one to carry... But Im not quite sure thats a good gun for her to carry considering it would most likely be carried in her purse. aka accidental discharge.

18. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have and like them all. why not..? If one is all you can have weigh all the individual wants, and necessities, and then get the one that comes closest.

19. el gringo loco

el gringo loco PDX Member

I don't know that I really like the idea of a gun loose in a purse, manual safety or not-especially if she is carrying one in the pipe. I would suggest that your concern would be better addressed by finding a holster that can be fitted in the purse, preferably with a retention strap, and then let her pick the gun that she likes the feel of. The glock isn't going to go off if it's in a holster

20. durango#95

durango#95 Medford New Member

No question! In your price range, and what you are looking at, Glock, all the way.