JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday another forum member and I were trading rifles at a local shopping center in the Eugene area. We were extremely discrete, but apparently one person saw us and reported to the mall security that there was a "Gun Sale" going down(they're words). Right as we were finishing up signing the bill of sale/trade and shaking hands Mr. "I'm a big tough mall security guard in my black cargo pants and blaze yellow security shirt" came hauling over followed by his trusty side-kick, a femail version of Mini-Me. He proceeded to interrogate us for the next couple of minutes. We explained to him that it was a trade and we were not aware of the mall's policies on firearms on the property. He said that he had no issue with it, but that he had to ask us to leave. We agreed, and proceeded to get into out cars and pull away. I was about to pull out when I saw a local PD pull into the parking lot, then leave to go after my buddy who. I pulled up to the security guard who was on the radio with the PD and giving a description of me and my buddy, our cars and what he thought we were doing in the parking lot. When he noticed that I had pulled up right beside him and had been listening, he was visibly shaken. I looked at him and said, "Is he here for us?" and pointed at the patrol car that was just pulling out of the parking lot (presumably to come after me). He nodded his head yes, and I told him to get on the horn and let them know that I was parked right where I was before. I parked my car, got out and sat on my bumper with my bill of sale/trade in hand, arms crossed and eyes fixed on Mr. Tough Guy. When he realized I wasn't going to be a jerk, he slowely walked over to me keeping his distance, and said, "They're on their way." I said, "Alright, but you'd better keep your eye on me." I was a little pissed at this point. I had already been waiting 20 minutes when he came back over, trying to be all buddy-buddy, and proceeded to tell me about his grandpa's collection, the fact that he'd never shot a gun, and he even asked me what kind of gun I had. I let him know that I wasn't in the mood to talk guns right at the moment. He caught on that I was pretty pissed and backed off. He sat and watched me for another 15 minutes while the majority of the time talking on his radio. I decided that I'd had enough of this crap and threw my hands up in the air at him and mouthed "WHAT'S GOIN ON?" after a couple minutes he cam walking over and let me know that the officers were busy on the other side of the freeway and said that I could go. Oh yeah and he also said that his boss asked that I not return to the Gateway mall for the rest of the day. I laughed and informed him that the only reason I go to that mall is to trade guns which I wouldn't be doing anymore.

Long story short: Don't trade guns behind Khol's at the Gateway mall. Thank you for listening. I feel better already.:D

Good times! Mall cops can be nothing but a power trip some times. And they really dont even have that. Being an electrician we do maintenace on some malls, and almost everytime the rent a cop comes along with his eyes wide open and a grin on his face telling us we cant be there. Little does he know that the people that employ him have hired us to be there. One time a rent a cop even pulled a gun on us while doing light bulb changes and repair on some fixtures during off hours. Do they not have any common sense that a guy with a tool belt and a scissor lift does not mean harm

Why didn't you just leave and let them track you down if it is that important? I wouldn't have the patience to sit around while the rent-a-cop yacked on the radio.

you shoulda ran. Maybe you could have made it on an episode of cops or something.
Honestly I probably wouldn't have waited. The cops would have let it fly after a few minutes anyways

Sounds like EPD at least has their priorities in order. When I was working at Portland 9-1-1, I'd ask if any weapons were being waved around or "brandished" at anyone, and what the participants looked like. If they appeared 21 or over, weren't in gang regalia and were being "discreet", and if they put everything away and weren't hanging around, nobody needed checking. 2 regular guys engaging in a private transaction were good to go. Most of the citizenry were shocked that registering the firearm(s) was not required.

That said, if someone saw something IMO you probably weren't being discreet enough. Sorta like carrying concealed: Someone spots it, it wasn't concealed.

Heck, I bought a gun stock off a friend and we closed the deal where we were having lunch. As I put it in the truck I fantasized a bit about the Beaverton police rolling up on us, and me standing there with what amounted to a wooden club. Nobody gave me more than the briefest of glances, and I was checking. (I have a pretty low opinion of the average urban dweller)

I took a lot of calls as the rainy season started back up about people seen with "rifles" or "shotguns" walking down the street that turned out to be umbrellas.

I'd be interested to know what they called the police for. Did you guys walk directly out to your cars, get in and start to leave?
We were at out cars the entire time. We never went anymore than maybe 10 feet from them. When the security guard said we were good, we both left. I was facing north and the other forum member was facing south.

Why didn't you just leave and let them track you down if it is that important? I wouldn't have the patience to sit around while the rent-a-cop yacked on the radio.

+1
I would have said "Everything is legal that we are doing. I'm leaving now. Feel free to write down my license plate number as I go if you are worried about it"

Be polite, and go on your way.

Some people have good intentions, some are jerks. I wouldnt waste my time.

I love the shots fired calls in the early morning during duck season
Ah, jeez...the entire summer season! Hello!? Fourth of July! Plus all the new excuses to set off fireworks the rest of the year..Cinco de Mayo, Some Hispanic Guy's Birthday, Battle of Wherever Day, Year of the Whatever Day, you name it...

Plus, there is one shotgun range in town. Now currently surrounded by apartments! First tournament they have- "Someone's firing guns!" Yeah, well read that sign on the street next time you go by it...

My father's truck was stolen from his garage N. SPFD. [stolen along with a new S&W 27 retirement gift from me]
recovered red handed at the Mini-Mart across from said Mall. Jailed, slease-bag-pro waiting for charges in court; outed on bail_-_BAILED ;end of case. No gun was ever recovered. Where were the mall cops????

My father's truck was stolen from his garage N. SPFD. [stolen along with a new S&W 27 retirement gift from me]
recovered red handed at the Mini-Mart across from said Mall. Jailed, slease-bag-pro waiting for charges in court; outed on bail_-_BAILED ;end of case. No gun was ever recovered. Where were the mall cops????

Trying to bust me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads