JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
you could also try the all steel (stainless) j frame 5 shot 357 smiths. I don't know all the model #'s. I have a 640-1? it's hammer-less. the weight helps with the recoil, the compactness is the same as the air-weights/air-lites.
+++1 on the S&W J frame. I have a mod 60 stainless 2 1/4" 357 MAG 5 shot. Practice with 38+p. carry mags 125 gr. jhp. Ignore the weak sisters comments about "excessive recoil" and shoot the weapon! The weight is negligable in both an ankle holster or a quality hi rise strong side holster. You'll appreciate the "fireball" as well will the B.G. at the recieving end of it. Hogue overmoulded grips will help reduce the snappy feel of the mag loads condsiderably. Greydog.

+++1 on the S&W J frame. I have a mod 60 stainless 2 1/4" 357 MAG 5 shot. Practice with 38+p. carry mags 125 gr. jhp. Ignore the weak sisters comments about "excessive recoil" and shoot the weapon! The weight is negligable in both an ankle holster or a quality hi rise strong side holster. You'll appreciate the "fireball" as well will the B.G. at the recieving end of it. Hogue overmoulded grips will help reduce the snappy feel of the mag loads condsiderably. Greydog.

Well, no, DON'T "ignore the 'weak sisters' comments" because in a lightweight (titanium/scandium) handgun, recoil can be punishing for some people. That's no laughing matter in a gunfight or other emergency (animal attack) because excessive recoil during practice can produce a flinch and even a subconscious reluctance to press the trigger.

That same recoil during the actual incident can cause you to miss a shot, or not be able to recover fast enough for a follow-up shot.

Now, the J-frame .38 is a fine gun. I carried one in an ankle holster for several years early in my career. My strong recommendation would be to add a set of Pachmayr grips.

The recoil of Magnum rounds is manageable in a steel J-frame. It is not manageable in a scandium-framed airweight which is what the OP was asking about. It has nothing to do with being a "weak sister" and everything to do with making smart decisions about which tool to use in a life or death situation. And as far as "appreciating the fireball" goes...try firing one at night when your pupils are already dialated to find out just how much you will "appreciate" being blinded by your own muzzle flash. I have, and its like having a flashbulb go off right in front of your face.

Well, no, DON'T "ignore the 'weak sisters' comments" because in a lightweight (titanium/scandium) handgun, recoil can be punishing for some people. That's no laughing matter in a gunfight or other emergency (animal attack) because excessive recoil during practice can produce a flinch and even a subconscious reluctance to press the trigger.

That same recoil during the actual incident can cause you to miss a shot, or not be able to recover fast enough for a follow-up shot.

Now, the J-frame .38 is a fine gun. I carried one in an ankle holster for several years early in my career. My strong recommendation would be to add a set of Pachmayr grips.
What part of "stainless mod 60 S&W J frame did you miss? Nothing in my comment stated anything about scandium, alloy, titanium or magic lightweight metal. Muzzel flash is not desirable nor wanted. New combat loaded magnum loads have low flash powder as a component. Try it! Weak sisters of the world unite!! hold hands and wring them incessantly! I carry the "J" as a backup on duty also. Plus P 38 is definately reccomended, but you get better performance from the mag load in a snubby. Greydog.

Olypen,

I agree with Dave Workman's first post, a 2.5" S&W 19 (or the stainless 66) is as light as I want to go with a .357 as a backpack gun. It's what I arm the second member of my party with in a serious mountain outing (mine being a heavier .357 or a .44 magnum).

It's about the lightest real .357 I think works for getting rounds on target in a hurry and accurately. The Ruger SP101 may be a close 2nd, so it is not to be dismissed to the price-sensitive. I have tried the 586/686 2.5", and it's no better - it has the greater strength of the "L" frame but it is unbalanced and much more annoying to carry.

When I go ".357 solo," in the mountains, meaning I'm inspired by nostalgia or circumstances to not bring the .30-30 or .44 magnum, I really like to take the 3.5" S&W 27. That is one very serious .357 in a very handy package. Here's a pic of the 2.5" 19. This is the one I use for "social engagements" - meaning going to the theater in Seattle or such. For the woods i have a stainless and a nickel one. It's a gun so versatile it's worth owning in multiple finishes.

IMGP3117.jpg

My Ruger SP101 3 inch in .357 was comfortable to carry,but I never got very accurate with it, so it was sold in favor of a 1911. Still wish I had it, but I want to keep them all.

Definitely shoot the light 357 guns with the ammo you intend to carry before you buy. After having both a S&W 60 and Ruger 101 in 357 I would not buy a lighter weight gun for this cartage. The steel guns are shoot able with hot loads but not a fun range gun. A light J frame with 38+P is all I want. It is not a matter of man enough but if you can shoot effectively (not a good choice for me). Good luck with your selection.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top