JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
EDIT- . I went and bought a wire feed welder. I suppose I have to learn to weld at some point.

20210716_194855.jpg

Last Edited:
Cold weld would be easier for DIY and would be harder to see repair.

I wouldn't try a wire feed on something so thin. If it's cast, it's out anyway

It may have been cast, after checking it out. So it'll have to be brazed then?

It's from a W.H Davenport, Acme model 1896. Produced between early 1897 to mid 1900, so the chances of finding a replacement are pretty slim.

Heavens no to a mig weld -- that would look like someone took a dump on it.
If you know anyone with a TIG, they might try to fuse it, but it alters the material in place and will never look right without cosmetic fixing.
Don't know what "cold weld" is, so cannot comment.
Looks like an investment cast piece, and dependent on the material, means brazing with nickel rod, silver solder or another compatible material. The question is whether it's steel or iron.
You might find a jeweler, custom jewelry maker, sculptor or steam-punk afficionado to fix that for you (or get a good recommendation) because they (good ones) have the equipment and skill set to fuse delicate, small pieces together without distortion and keep it looking good. Make sure they can work with iron because there's a galaxy of difference between copper family metals vs iron based.

You might also consider taking a cast of it, making an investment mold using lost wax and making one out of bronze. Then you can give it a good patina.

I'm amazed they have one :)

Though the threading on it does look mangled, I'm hoping it would be usable.

It does look like they ground off the screw head on the rear of the guard to get it off the receiver.
Hopefully, you can clean the threads a bit and if it's too loose, try a couple drops of blue loctite to grab the internal threads.
I've used the new blue loctite that comes in a tube and looks like Chapstick.
You can fill any voids with it and not have to worry about it dripping inside the receiver. Takes 24 hrs to cure.

1628521264664.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top