Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

i need some help please with a AR

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by nitestocker, Oct 20, 2011.

1. nitestocker

nitestocker woodland washington Well-Known Member

to anyone who is knowledgeable thanks in advance . im going to buy a flat top upper. i have a a2 upper now im going to keep the barrel and hand guard and replace the a2 with the flat top. my questions are i need one of those thing that hold the upper in a vice ?what are they called ?and where can i get one . the other question is when i put this back togather do i need one of those things that look like a bullit thats a go or no go . or does it just bolt all up . im sorry about these questions i just dont know. i need the flat top becouse i need a better scope platform im getting older :D

2. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

Custom Firearms Stands on this site used to sell those mag blocks.

3. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

you need a barrel wrench and receiver block and a bench vise and torque wrench

you can get barrel wrench and receiver block from brownells or midway or several other gun dealers do a seach for best price if you want to save a few bucks .

torque wrench and vise can be bought at harbor freight and should also be at fred myers walmart bimart sears ect

you will not need a head space guage (bullet looking thing) if you are using your original working mated bolt and barrel
    from your original working upper

you will also need a small punch to knock out the gas tube pin i get those at sears but harbor freight has them as well and maybe some of those other places mentioned

make sure you torque the barrel nut correctly

4. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

5. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

6. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Also check the Bushmaster site under parts. I just ordered from them. Got the barrel blocks, receiver blocks, and barrel wrench.

7. RockKrawler

RockKrawler Gresham Member

If you don't want to buy the tools,i have everything needed on hand to do the job.
    Should you want to do the work yourself with some experienced guidance let me know,we could set up a time and it can be swapped over here.
    RK

8. nitestocker

nitestocker woodland washington Well-Known Member

RockKrawler id like to take you up on that it will be a couple of weeks if that would be ok i have to sell a couple of things so i can buy my upper i have the vice and armors tool but thats it

9. RockKrawler

RockKrawler Gresham Member

Not a problem,when you get the parts and are still interested in the offer shot me a PM.
    RK