JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
bought a used rifle for my son. had a new crown put in the barrel. when the smith/ machinest pulled it apart the back space part that ataches to the barrel broke. looks like a ring. if you have one or know of where one is please let me know thanks.

i tried both of those sight and neither one had the recoil lug. i ended up with one from dave tubb's website. so this place has had the rifle for going on 8 months now,....... so i really like the guys in the shop but not impressed with the guy they use as a smith. it took me 4 months of asking how it was going and finally showing back up to see it to find out it was broken. i will admit i am disappointed in them for taking this long and if it only took me less than a hour on the internet to find it then they weren't looking hard or at all.

If you don't mind, I'd like to know the shop name, for future "non-reference". You'd be doing us all a favor (and maybe the shop, too, so they might be motivated to change practices). No need to flame 'em out, and so far all you've done is relate events and facts and timelines. That is good.

If you don't mind, I'd like to know the shop name, for future "non-reference". You'd be doing us all a favor (and maybe the shop, too, so they might be motivated to change practices). No need to flame 'em out, and so far all you've done is relate events and facts and timelines. That is good.

Agreed, we need to watch out for each other. Especially these days, where a good smith seems to be getting harder and harder to find.

It is hard to say this because the shop i love and use is great. I think it was just the guy machining the barrel is what did it. I will honestly say that i will still use the shop[ just not the machinist. they are out of Hillsboro. I just don't want them to get a bad rap for what he did. I said no hurry so they didn't really think anything of it and they did say he had a back log of work. The shop is Willamette valley. Once again the guys there are great with good prices and people skills i am just not happy with the machinist. I do not think i can stress that enough.

So i ordered two recoil lugs from the tubb's website. they say they fir the remington 788 and the 700 series. well come to find out they don't ! the 700 series is a 1 1/16" and the 788 is a 1". how can they say it fits when it clearly doesn't. next in line is i put a call into them 2 weeks ago and have not heard back. I am really not happy with their product or customer support. so once again back to ground zero. and going on 9+ months with out the rifle. Not happy one bit from the machinest to tubb's.

It is hard to say this because the shop i love and use is great. I think it was just the guy machining the barrel is what did it. I will honestly say that i will still use the shop[ just not the machinist. they are out of Hillsboro. I just don't want them to get a bad rap for what he did. I said no hurry so they didn't really think anything of it and they did say he had a back log of work. The shop is Willamette valley. Once again the guys there are great with good prices and people skills i am just not happy with the machinist. I do not think i can stress that enough.

Let it be know that it's NOT Willamette Valley Gunsmithing :D

Sincerely, Willamette Valley Gunsmithing

bought a used rifle for my son. had a new crown put in the barrel.

It's a little late for this rifle but a suggestion. Next time you want only a new crown on a rifle, consider buying the proper crown reamer or tool from Brownell's and do it yourself. I have recrowned several rifles using a crown reamer and bronze pilot. The crowns on these rifles look better than many of the custom rifles that competitors I shoot around have on their rifles that were applied with a lathe.

No disassembly is required to crown using a piloted reamer and best of all, if you have the reamer you can touch up the crown if you end up nicking it in the field or while cleaning.

Midway has some DIY video's posted to show the process. One tip, use a viscous grease like wheel bearing grease on the pilot. It keeps chips from getting into the bore and embedding themselves in the bronze pilot which can then leave tool marks on the rifling. Use the grease and clean off the reamer every few turns. Patience will give you a great crown and no disruption of any other part of the rifle.

+1 for deadshot. Back when I was a machinist (not a smith) I recrowned a number of bbl's for friends and myself (I had quite a little unpaided career going making boys rifles out of bolt action Marlin .22 repeaters!) When you crown on a lathe you must dial in the bore perfectly and I have actually seen smiths dial in the outer diameter of the bbl! This, in addition to the possibility of damage to related parts as in 2006Scooby's case. The pilot on the hand driven crown reamer eliminates all of these problems. You would have to work pretty hard to mess up your bbl. So Scooby, I don't know about the complexity of the part you need but if it is a simple ring have you considered having one made by a competent machinist?

Suggestions for DIY are always welcome, and I appreciate them.

That is not the issue here.

The OP (please correct me if I am wrong) seems to be insulating the store front from a subcontractor under their representation. The storefront IS RESPONSIBLE!!! FOR EVERYTHING THAT WENT WRONG WITH THE DESIRES OF THEIR CUSTOMER!!!!

If a storefront gunshop farms out work (and many very respectable ones do, including some I deal with) THEY are the point of contact, point of responsibility, point of prompt satisfaction to the customer. By their relationship with the subcontractor (more importantly, relationship with the CUSTOMER) they need to be the agressive "water-carrier" on any point of dissatisfaction. There can be no insulation where the customer is concerned. He delivered an item for work, work performed less than professionally, ALL REMEDY is the responsibility of the storefront REGARDLESS OF WHO THEY HIRED TO DO WORK. YES: (and most probably) EVEN IF THEY LOSE MONEY MAKING THE CUSTOMER HAPPY.

Any gunshop that cannot see the logic and fairness and responsibility listed here would get my business exactly once, and I would assure them that my word of mouth would cost them tenfold.

yes. archer's precision sheet metal i know well. i have some good guys over there that can machine one for me. it is just the cost. and i think the guy that messed it up should pay for it. i got a call saying it was done. i asked if they test fired. nope. i said do that then call me. so point being i'm only taking gun's to a true smith from here on out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top