Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

i need info on holsters

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by chevy, Sep 20, 2010.

1. chevy

chevy 64th st Member

what is the best holster to carry a full size 40 cal. pistol in??

2. Tactical SS

Tactical SS Washington Member

What are your preferences?

Leather? Nylon? Kydex? etc

OWB, IWB, Shoulder?

Retention?

Price?

etc...

3. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

I say IWB. And spend some $ and get a nice leather or kydex one molded specifically to your gun. It is also very important to get a good stiff thick belt designed for supporting the weight of a gun. I recommend either galco leather or something like the ares ranger web belt. It will probably cost you around $60-80 for the holster and another $40-80 for the belt. Avoid uncle mike's, avoid fobus. Galco makes great leather holsters, raven concealment makes great polymer ones, and Comp-Tac makes some really nice combination holsters (leather shield, polymer holster).

OWB might be a bit more comfortable, but harder to conceal because the barrel may stick out under a shirt depending on the size of your gun and clothing. If you wear baggy shirts, OWB might work pretty good. Also, if you don't particularly care if it stays 100% concealed 100% of the time.

Shoulder rigs suck. I tried one for awhile (a good one too, not some cheapo uncle mike's). It is very hard to conceal (only works with a jacket on) and very uncomfortable (bangs against your side if you run or walk quickly even with tie-downs, feels very heavy, like dead weight). Draw is a little faster if you are sitting in a car or something, but otherwise much slower than typical belt holsters.

A good belt/holster combo should make the weight of a full size handgun very manageable. IWB holsters make even the largest guns concealable. I am a skinny dude and carry a full size CZ-75 frequently.

4. Tactical SS

Tactical SS Washington Member

+1 on the stiff belt. It makes the difference. In my mind it's a requirement for carrying IWB or OWB.

5. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

raven makes a good system that can be carried iwb or owb. about 80 bucks but they have a long lead time

6. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Lead time on Raven is ~80 days right now fyi.

Check out Crossbreed holsters, their lead time is around 2-4 weeks at the moment.

7. rmlarsen

rmlarsen Seattle Member

thebeltman.net for belts

Milt Sparks for IWB holsters

8. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I make my own, leather and Kydex. Has the EXACT retention I like, rides where I like and has a lead time of about 2 hours.:thumbup:

DSC01481.jpg

9. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Nice... do you make any to sell? (and do you take custom orders?):D

Also, if you made a "how to" thread that would be super cool.:thumbup:

10. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

+1 on Crossbreed

11. RangerEric

RangerEric Southern Oregon, United States Active Member

12. Godspeed

Godspeed Oregon Member

+1 for the crossbreed. I got some cow hides that im thinking about trying to use to make one similar to the CBH. Looks do-able especially from cyclesarge's Pic