JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought my first AR last week. It is a brand new ANderson kinda the low buck model. I took it out yesterday and first mag went like it should. About halfway through the second mag it stopped firing. It wasnt a ftf of the ammo and it cycled a fresh round it is more like the trigger didnt reset. It would fire if I pulled the charging handle back and chambered a new round. So just wondering if there is something I should look at first or if anyone knows what needs to be fixed etc. Thanks

Lube the bolt carrier just short of dripping for a while until it breaks in.

In a pinch when out shooting with no lube, get some off your vehicle's oil dipstick and smear it on the bolt carrier.

So many things can happen to cause what sounds like your experiencing.

I would say you are short stroking. In other words the bolt is traveling far enough back to eject the spent case but not enough to strip a new round off the mag and chamber it.

Ammo can cause this. This is usually the first thing to change, especially if using inexpensive steel case ammo.

Gas system is usually the second cause if there is nothing wrong with anything.

In other words, if the bolt carrier is fine, buffer and spring are fine, nothing is not installed incorrectly or not to spec like an oversized bolt catch dragging on the carrier or a off spec mag catch allowing the mag to sit too high causing the bolt to drag on it. All those things would need to be checked, then I would likely look at the gas system. Anderson cranks out rifles so I would not be surprised a few are off spec here and there.

Other things like having an incorrect buffer weight can also cause short stroking.

I would check your buffer first. Even dry you should not have to tug too hard on the charging handle to manually cycle. Chances could be the roll pin in the buffer wiggled loose and is dragging inside the buffer tube.

If you didn't lube it prior to your test shoot don't do anything until you lube it well and put a hundred rounds through it.

Rifles need broke in and a dry AR will do all kinds of things people will tell you are ammo or gas system problems.

Lube it, shoot it. If it still doesn't run then you have somerging to talk about

On a new AR type weapon, I like to GREASE the charging handle, the buffer spring and the buffer.

Check the buffer tube inside by just dropping the buffer sans spring to make sure it is not tight. Do both ends of the buffer. I had one that was out of spec halfway down the tube!

Some charging handles are 'stiff' because of many reasons but they do wear in (soft metals).

Despite the cost, Andersons are good to go 99% of the time. I have run several and own several with no issues.

I just bought my first AR last week. It is a brand new ANderson kinda the low buck model. I took it out yesterday and first mag went like it should. About halfway through the second mag it stopped firing. It wasnt a ftf of the ammo and it cycled a fresh round it is more like the trigger didnt reset. It would fire if I pulled the charging handle back and chambered a new round. So just wondering if there is something I should look at first or if anyone knows what needs to be fixed etc. Thanks

Check to make sure your sear is in correctly. Something may have come loose with your fire control group.

Lube schmoob....I know ARs like to run wet.....but....
If the OP knows what normal AR charging feels like.....the above is a clue.
Just need more info on the receiver extension (buttstock system).
I actually have never played with an AR much but like I said it seems much harder to pull back than it should. I really dont know much about these I have never owned one or taken one apart yet Im guessing that will happen soon. This is an off the shelf rifle so im not sure what it has in or on it as far as parts. I will post a pic here in a minute.

20170223_202245_zpsivns3qto.jpg

I'd be inclined to lube the heck out of the charging handle and bolt before trying anything else. Without shooting it, you'll know right away if that identifies the problem.

Also the charging handle seems really hard to pull back. Not like it is grinding just a heavy pull.
Check the buffer spring if it's hard to pull charging handle your sping could be binding or sticking or you could have a bent buffer tube but if fired a Mag I doubt that is it I would check the sping then the gas system but like they said dump some lube in it first

I actually have never played with an AR much but like I said it seems much harder to pull back than it should. I really dont know much about these I have never owned one or taken one apart yet Im guessing that will happen soon. This is an off the shelf rifle so im not sure what it has in or on it as far as parts. I will post a pic here in a minute.
OK.
My guess is that you probably ran it a little dry on the maiden voyage ?
If yes, then hose it down with CLP and run some full power ammo through it.
Preferably some Lake City XM193 or M855....the PMC is OK as long as the box does not say .223

Give it a good blast with this, then run some full power ammo through it.
188140.jpg
I think even Wally World has it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews