JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I actually have never played with an AR much but like I said it seems much harder to pull back than it should. I really dont know much about these I have never owned one or taken one apart yet Im guessing that will happen soon. This is an off the shelf rifle so im not sure what it has in or on it as far as parts. I will post a pic here in a minute.
My Tubbs precision flat coil buffer springs are a bit harder to pull back then the std setup.

But they work lots more gooder, so I roll with it.

If its all Anderson the issue may be the hammer. My friend had one that had a burr on it that required little (emphasis little) filing. Try to eliminate every other possibility, if its the trigger or hammer then continue shooting until its gone or just replace.

If its all Anderson the issue may be the hammer. My friend had one that had a burr on it that required little (emphasis little) filing. Try to eliminate every other possibility, if its the trigger or hammer then continue shooting until its gone or just replace.
I already said that check the trigger and trigger pins best bet if that is problem buy after market trigger Timmy or whatever there lots out there

The issue I was referring to had nothing to do with pins or the trigger itself. His (my friend) hammer had a burr on it that kept it from resetting. The pins were fine, the hammer was not.

Aftermarket may not be needed, just easier and comes with the bonus of a better trigger anyways.

The issue I was referring to had nothing to do with pins or the trigger itself. His hammer had a burr on it that kept it from resetting. The pins were fine, the hammer was not.

Aftermarket may not be needed, just easier and comes with the bonus of a better trigger anyways.
YES I know I don't have a stock trigger system in any if my ARs and I have 4 all have after market trigger 's if really look at a stock AR trigger there is to much parts more of a chance for something to go wrong

Lol that's great advice but in like is second post he said this is his first AR and he doesn't know much about them so pretty much most of the stuff you told him went right over his head just saying LOL
Yes I am new to AR platform but not new to guns so I got what he was saying. LOL

yeah ive had that too! i think its most likely oil burning off.

im talkin bout the smell while cycling the gun by hand without shooting it. every AR ive ever built has had the same smell. maybe its the coating on the parts scraping off on the bearing surfaces? anyway, i cycle them manually until that smell goes away then i fire them.
Im pretty sure that is the smell of aluminum filing off.

Well I took it apart last night and did a thorough cleaning and inspection. I didnt see any problems really no loose particles etc. I did cycle it a bunch and did smell the what yall refer to as the AR smell. If the sun is out today I might run up to my spot and try to run a few mags through it and hope for the best. Also im thinking the problem with the heavy charge handle pull is the buffer spring. Can this be adjusted by cutting some of the coils off or should I just buy one with less tension? I really bought this because my AK is a .223 platform and I love it but my wife thinks its too heavy so I bought the AR so she can shoot it sometimes but if its too hard to operate she wont do it. So thats why I am asking about the buffer spring. I mean its cool if she likesa it but I got a new rifle out of it anyway!!

Don't cut anything. Lube the bolt carrier and shoot it.

If that rifle is too much for the wifey, look into the M&P 15/22. Same shape and controls at half the weight and little to no recoil for about $375.00

If that rifle is too much for the wifey, look into the M&P 15/22. Same shape and controls at half the weight and little to no recoil for about $375.00
We have one already. She just wants the power of the .223. Love that woman!

Yeah, don't cut anything.
Leave that for the Kitchen Table Gun Plumbers Union.

From your pics it looks like you have the carbine buttstock system (there are a few hybrids around, so verify what you are supposed to have).
You could check and make sure that you have the correct buffer and spring installed.
Should be a standard carbine spring and standard carbine buffer in the carbine system.

BufferSpringInsp.jpg

So you already took it down to clean it. Did the bolt slide in the receiver freely ? It should feel like it's on ball bearings. Smooth. Is the charging handle moving freely ? If that's all good look at your buffer and spring. One small spring loaded pin holds in your buffer and spring. It's under tention but easy to remove. Press the buffer back, push the pin down and let the buffer and spring come out. Inspect your spring, buffer and tube. These should be lubed and move freely as well. Your buffer tube should be smooth inside. Make sure your spring is correct and buffer . As Direct Drive illustrated. It may be as simple as more lube and hotter ammo. Good luck.

Last Edited:
split your upper and lower.. make sure something has not broke inside your lower trigger group. ( never dry fire a trigger group with upper and lower split, without physically catching the hammer., or it will break your mag well) look for any debris that might have fallen in there.. I once was shooting someones reloads and a spent primer came out of the case and fell down inside my trigger group and made it stop functioning properly.
P.S. tell us what you found so we all don't go insane.:)

I broke in a budget pistol lower trigger with one of those fancy vise blocks with a nice plastic chunk to catch the hammer. Name brand escapes me but it can fit in a vise/bolt to a bench and rotates as well. One of the better $30 or so dollar expenditures I made if you like more than one AR, and who doesn't? I had a malfunction at the range once when I changed buffer tubes and was waiting on some more parts for the build so I got lazy didn't stake the castle nut....and a little spring migrated into the trigger action.... easy fix once you separate lower from upper and see the issue. :eek:

Before we broke it down, though? Even my buddy who is a former 11B wasn't sure why the gun was jammed.

Brutus Out

If you fired a full magazine through it and had no issues, and then the problem occured when you tried the second magazine, then it kinda sounds like you ran it dry. I would break it down and check the bolt carrier for excessive wear marks on the obvious spots. Should be easy to see if the rifle is new and just fired. Then check your buffer and buffer spring and make sure its not TOO hard to push, take it out and inspect the tube and spring. Lube the hell out of the rifle with some CLP spray and shoot some good ammo through it. If problem occurs again, then I would definitely check out the gas system.

Could be loosing some gas pressure. I had a rifle do a similar thing. Inside of my bolt carrier was grooved and ruined the rings inside after about a mag or two. Never got enough gas pressure to cycle properly or consistently. Take it apart and see if it's amooth

So im feeling a bit dumb now. I took it out yesterday put in a mag of .223 and it did the same thing. Put in a mag of 5.56 it did the same thing. For some reason I stuck my finger behind the trigger and it clicked forward and then was able to fire again. So I guess its a trigger thing and got better as I shot a couple mags just a little hang up and wasnt fully resetting. I guess I will figure out how to take the trigger out and check for burrs. Again thank you all so much for the help. I really do appreciate it!!!

This shows the basic FCG action and orientation of the main springs...
AR-15-Fire-Control-Group.gif

Here is the orientation of the disconnect spring...
Stainless_Trigger_WEB_1024x1024.png

And an overview with the receiver...
mgr_b15.jpg

I would make the builder send me another FCG.
Or if you want to fix it, make sure that the assembly is correct and nothing is binding due to an out of spec part.
I'd still make him send me another FCG, though.

Last Edited:
^^ great post^^
It's always a good thing when a member throws a little more education out to the rest of the hive. Even if it's just a refresher, it helps all of us.

I agree with opening a dialogue with the builder. They might even consider throwing in a better trigger.

One thing that I forgot to mention and someone also brought it up above somewhere, is that this malfunction could be caused by some debris falling into and fouling the FCG.
So first, I would check for any illegal immigrants around the FCG.
Then if no, verify the correct assembly/function of the FCG.

Often a primer can fall out of some reloads with loose primer pockets or even some cheap, imported .223 with no primer crimps can deposit a primer into the FCG and foul it.

Edit:
If I found that it was my ammo that caused the malfunction, I'd fix it and walk away.
If however, I found that it was the FCG either binding or assembled wrong, I'd hammer on the builder to put another FCG in the mail.
Because he probably sent my rifle out the door without even doing the simple AR Function Test.
(in the meantime I'd fix it, but I wouldn't tell him)

Find my post above that has the PDF file with Quib's AR Maintenance document for specifics on the Function Test.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads