JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a new SKS!!! A Chinese one, barrel looks great but still has Cosmoline all in the small parts. So I fully disassembled and threw it into a parts cleaner I have for reloading. It worked GREAT, too great:(.....

All of the finish came off pretty much all of the parts! What do I do? I know I have to put new finishing on them but what should I use?What would be best? What would be easiest? HELP!!!!

Blueing is controlled rusting, if his brass cleaner was acidic, it makes sense that it stripped it all off.
How bad we talking, trigger group or all the small parts?

Tapico stock it and chop the barrel if your going to go full bubba now lol.

But seriously any gunsmith can refinish that gun in a traditional blue finish. It wont be super cheap.....

I would probably Duracoat it. Its pretty easy to use and seems really strong on the ar15s ive seen it on.

Now's your chance!!
8a2df82d0868ee49e292e6d3188486db.jpg

Blueing is controlled rusting, if his brass cleaner was acidic, it makes sense that it stripped it all off.
Thank you that is helpful here are some pictures, I wire brushed the bolt and the finish(whatever it was cane off) and it comes off on my hands

10E433D8-7BFF-4D3D-9E05-A44BE8278B68.jpeg 5CC411E8-FF8D-45E8-A96D-B4D38C5558C9.jpeg 692B84DA-0D9F-4C3D-88DF-64DEDB5B523A.jpeg D642F703-9E18-43CD-AF2D-C60F65DA9C00.jpeg

Thank you that is helpful here are some pictures, I wire brushed the bolt and the finish(whatever it was cane off) and it comes off on my hands

If you want to keep the bluing and do it yourself, the following is what many of us C&R guys use to touch up our old firearms. It works well.

Oxpho-blue is about the best of the cold blues, in my opinion. It works great on some things, but there have been some steels that I haven't gotten good results on with any cold blue. Cold blue is a very different process than hot blue. If you follow the instructions carefully, you might have good results with Oxpho-blue on that gun. I'd bet it would turn out acceptable. The trick is following instructions carefully.

A gun smith would do a nice job, if you're willing to spend the money. It's not cheap to have something professionally hot-blued. The last time I looked into it, I was quoted $150 for a pistol. Proper prep work is laborious, and set up with all the hot tanks and nasty chemicals is not cheap.

Here's a cheap, hill-billy option:
1592437549806.png

Believe it or not, it works fairly well. It's a bake-on enamel that's pretty durable. I used it recently on a cheap, abused old Marlin .22 rifle that just wasn't worth the time and work required for a nicer finish. You can bake it on, or just let it cure for a couple weeks. Done right, it's really not bad, if you're not picky.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top