Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I need better shoes

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Modeler, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

I've recently picked up a second job that has me standing a lot, sometimes on concrete and sometimes on thin carpet glued to concrete. My Doc Martin's just aren't doing it for me on the concrete; does anyone know of any shoes that would work well for standing on hard surfaces? Preferably black...

2. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

I have a pair of redwings, that I puts cushion soles in, they seem to work alright.

3. Modeler

Who makes the cushion soles?

4. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm going to go a different direction and suggest you check out some shoes that have a Vibram sole. I have several pairs of shoes with these soles. They make you stand more flat-footed on the balls of your feet rather than put pressure on your heels like most shoes do. There are several shoe companies that use these soles, just type Vibram on the Zappos.com site to see some examples.

5. Modeler

My heels, mostly. They are getting worn out, the insole started to separate a few weeks ago. I have a very narrow foot (my size is 12A) and it's hard to get shoes that fit really well.

6. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

Get your feet checked, when i welded for a living my feet hurt so bad i wanted to cut them off. Found out i needed orthotics because my feet were flat.

7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

"Walking shoes" is the type/class you are looking for. Go to any hospital and take note.. those are usually white though.
    And get fitted.. there are quite a few shoe/sports specialty shoe stores that carry what you want and will fit/advise you.
    I'm thinking minimum $60. good luck

8. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Do you have a high arch? I had the same problem with my heels and found that Birkenstock boots/shoes/sandals with the cork insole made all of my problems disappear.
    They don't give them away, but they last a real long time and it's less then half to get them rebuilt by the factory repair shop

MTpockets and (deleted member) like this.
  9. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

Dr. Scholes (I think that is the spelling)
    I use the gel style.

Ok, sorry I used the wrong terminology.
    I should have said insert....

10. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

2nd the "get some high quality running shoes". Also, rather than toss your old shoes, stuff some "Superfeet" insoles into them. They come in different sizes and I thing the green is medium thickness. - But check for yourself. Lots of local shops carry them: to do some research first, this link with start you on that path: Amazon.com: Superfeet Green Premium Insoles,Green,E: 10.5 - 12 US Womens/9.5 - 11 US Mens: Shoes Before you consider that too expensive, consider some things:

1st) I spent @ $150 for a set of custom orthodic insoles as a gift to my wife when she was getting into Marathoning. She needed 2 pairs. She is a nurse and her income is important, and she would not have paid that much for herself, yet it was super important to the family that she be able to survive the stress's of training. This may be teh case for you?

2nd) If your feet and knees were to be nearly destroyed, so that each step was very painful, and all you wanted to do was to sit and cry from the pain, what would that be worth to you to avoid that?

3rd) Superfeet are @ $29-39 a pair. You can buy them slightly oversized and trim to fit. I got a couple of sets on the advice of a Physical Therapist buddy when I developed "Plantars Faciatius" and still have them 10 years later.

4th) They make soft cushy rubber mats so that standing all day doesn't end in a workers comp claim. See your new boss if you feel comfortable discussing it.

Good luck!

11. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I think you should quit that job and become a professional barefoot water skier! ;)

12. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Dansko
    They make clogs and lace up shoes. I have plantar issues in both feet. You get what you pay for. Usually soft sole shoes are the worst. Inserts are mandatory. They can run up to 350.00 a pair.

13. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I like Merrells, but like most footwear manufacturers they are now made in China.

Not that they aren't decent shoes and boots, I just bought some more, but they vary in size for a given size labeling, so you really have to try them on.

When I walked out of the store it felt like I was walking on carpet despite the fact I was walking on a hard surface. A lot of that was probably the inserts, but they are good shoes and boots.

14. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

"Chuckle"

If your not needing work boot/steel toe look into New Balance. Wifey has bad feet, spends her work days on hard floors, NB has been the ticket.

15. Inspector

Inspector Washington State Member

I'm on concrete at work... Sometimes for 17 hours straight. I bought a pair of Keen shoes 5 years ago. I buy a pair yearly now. They are the only shoe that lasts me for more than 6 months. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

Fast Eddie and (deleted member) like this.
  16. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

If you want comfort, and durability there are no better shoes than Z-Coil. I won't wear anything else.

17. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I quit sitting at work a few months ago (for a few reasons) and learned some things in a hurry:

The first month was horrible. My feet ached and throbbed, making me want to sit back down. I took short breaks in a chair (5 minutes per hour) but stuck with it. I could always walk all day, but standing still really makes the dogs ache - until they get stronger after 5-6 weeks.

I got some soft generic brand insoles which helped a lot right off the bat. Now that I'm used to standing for 10-11 hour shifts, I've switched back to my harder Superfeet insoles to prevent recurrence of plantar faciitis (+1 to billcoe, I'd use Superfeet if they cost hundreds).

Do you often stand in one location like a desk or workbench? Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive ($10) 4'x4' foam-rubber mat that helps a lot.
    4 Piece Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set

Oh yeah, thick wool socks are great too if you like them!

Anyone interested in the health benefits of standing up more might be interested in googling a phrase like "sitting death." It's sobering.

18. CJ1089

CJ1089 Aloha, Oregon Marveling at the world.

Another suggestion, change out your shoes every day. If you can change your socks on a break. Whenever possible let your feet air out (bare foot at home). I found over 30 years as a 'grunt' worker that I could take even a mediocre shoe for a day but even the best shoes killed my feet after 4 to 5 days. Moisture builds up in the shoe, the skin softens and then a boatload of secondary issues show up (blisters, fungus, infections etc.).

OBTW, Redwing has an excellent insole they sell for $50, I have two sets of boots setup with them and I alternate days. Truthfully, a lot of cash but if it keeps you healthy....

19. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

Rockport. Most comfortable shoes to stand in I've ever owned. I stand on steel deckplates 10-12 hours a day.

20. firemedic15

firemedic15 Jefferson Active Member

Redback boots "easy escape"

redbackboots.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk