JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Geez, when will people stop selling/giving ammo to unsuspecting folks. If you're not sure about the providence of ammo, DON'T SHOOT IT!!! Holy crap. Enough said.
This is kinda like saying dont drive because you might get a flat tire or a rock chip in your windshield..
bubblegum happens. I would have had NO problem shooting it up until the point it started flaking out.

Even dangerous things can be done in a safe fashion (such as flying Bloeing lately) if your paying attention we do it all the time. Hell hollywood has entire industry built on that concept. Only every once in a while a Brandon Lee dies.
Even some well known manufactured ammo has some issues every now and then. Relax..

Today I shot 40 rounds (2 boxes of HSM 30-06 Springfield 180 gr ammo) with my old sporting Mauser (Gew 98 with K98 bolt and Remington RA 2-44 barrel). I recently purchase the rifle through this forum and the deal included few boxes of 30-06 factory ammo including 2 boxes of HSM brand. Last week I shot 40 rounds of Federal 180 gr and the rifle was performing great, smooth action and accurate. However, I had a serious problem today with the HSM ammo. The first box of 20 rounds was all smooth and everything was perfect. However, when I started using the second box of the same ammo, about every 3rd shot was not correct. When I pulled the trigger, I could hear "click" and then the rifle fired (delayed action). The shots were accurate, but I could feel much more recoil and it just did not feel right. However, being kind of risk taker (I am adrenaline junky), I kept shooting until I finished all the rounds. The last shot was the creasiest. It was delayed and the primer was blown, and the rifle felt it was going to disintegrate. I had to pull the bolt really hard to eject the last shell. Here I posted some pictures of the cartridges including the one that had its primer blown. My question is simple. Is this 100% ammo related (I asked 3 people so far and all 3 said it is ammo issue), or could it be rifle related (firing pin issue)? I still have few 30-06 ammo boxes, various brands. I am concened to shoot the rifle if the problem is firing pin related. I can easily buy another firing pin and spring and replace them. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Dan

View attachment 834104 View attachment 834105 View attachment 834106
I would buy myself a bullet puller,, break that stuff down and throw it away!

I know the guy who sold me the rifle and ammo, so he would definitely sell me factory ammo if he was not convinced it was factory packed. I also shot Federal ammo from him and it was good. So, at the end this is 99% factory loaded ammo. It is just that HSM did not do a good QC job. It is a nature of the business. Also every time we shoot guns, there is always a risk. I do not live my life in fear.

I would buy myself a bullet puller,, break that stuff down and throw it away!
Powder is a decent fertilizer. You can throw it on your lawn no problem.
The cases are probably worth savings. Its not toally useless.

If you want offer them up for free in the ammo classifieds or pay it forward.
Someone will be glad to have it regardless. It will probably be gone instantly to.
Just link this thread or put a warning on it.

100% thats why i said ammo..

if you want i may be in Seattle next weekend i may be able to stop by and grab them strictly for the purpose of measuring all of them checking seating depth, shoulder uniformity, i could weight the bullets as well and pull them with a collet style puller as to not disturb the powder and see what it all looks like.
if someone else wants it though be my guest. honestly that will take a bit of time i dont really have.
Let me know and we can meet at my place. It is always nice to meet some gun-loving people, especially when living in Seattle where too many hate guns.

Would you take pills from someone else's medicine cabinet because it looked like something you took from your own? Point is (Dr Prepper missed it) if your not sure, err on the side of caution. I don't mean to squint your eyes tighter, I mean pull, pour, resize, and reload. I'm very careful about reloading and I don't shoot reloads from a tattered box. I do shoot reloads but I must be sure. I had a SAA Uberti blow up on me once and it's no fun. Just be careful.

Its the ammo. HSM = hardly satisfactory munitions. They are a handload outfit, and their quality is and has always been, seriously lacking. It is such crappy ammo, it is pretty much all you find on the shelf right now.

You might consider holding off a little on getting rid of that ammo. HSM might want it. I had a bad brick of Winchester .22lr ammo once (seriously underpowered, constant jamming). I contacted Winchester. They wanted the remaining rounds from the brick, even sent a shipping label for them and a Fedex guy to the door to pick them up. They eventually made it right by sending a new brick that shot great.

If you happen to come waaaaay down south to Oregon, I have a 30-06 "field" headspace gauge I'd be willing to toss in there for you.

If you happen to come waaaaay down south to Oregon, I have a 30-06 "field" headspace gauge I'd be willing to toss in there for you.
That is too far to drive. It would be cheaper for me to just buy a set than to spend money on gas. I do drive to Idaho often, but I always take I-90 as I have a good friend in Superior, MT.

You might consider holding off a little on getting rid of that ammo. HSM might want it. I had a bad brick of Winchester .22lr ammo once (seriously underpowered, constant jamming). I contacted Winchester. They wanted the remaining rounds from the brick, even sent a shipping label for them and a Fedex guy to the door to pick them up. They eventually made it right by sending a new brick that shot great.
I am going to send an email to HSM to see what they reply.

That is too far to drive. It would be cheaper for me to just buy a set than to spend money on gas. I do drive to Idaho often, but I always take I-90 as I have a good friend in Superior, MT.
Right. Like i said, if you just happen to end up here. I certainly wouldn't make a special trip.

Would you take pills from someone else's medicine cabinet because it looked like something you took from your own?
BOY WOULD I!!!
what kind of pills do you have over there? i take any random thing and stuff em in the their throats without remorse or inclination as to what they might be just so long as the diameters are generally in the right ball park! ive tried peanuts, frozen peas, little baby carrots. frozen corn works the best most consistent so far.

in all seriousness if you read up further i pretty much said the same thing. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top