Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I need a trumpet!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by humdrum, Sep 28, 2012.

1. humdrum

humdrum Lakewood Active Member

My son decided yesterday to join the school band, which I feel is amazing, but the only problem is that the school (elementary) does not provide instruments. So my question is: Does anyone out there have a student-quality trumpet they can donate, sell cheap or trade? I can't afford retail so a music store or pawnshop is out of the question, and Craigslist is a joke. Any help from the NWFA community would be appreciated. If anyone can help us find a trumpet in the South Sound area please PM or call/text (253)380-2987.

Thanks in advance, Ray.

2. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I bought my trumpet and one for a friend on Portland Craigslist, cheap. If you have a friend who plays, it helps to get a functional quality inspection on any used instrument. A sluggish valve can be as simple as needing a few drops of oil, or indicate the need for a total refurb including springs, felts, etc.

Not to plan for failure, but it might make sense to rent one from a music store for a few months to see if it "takes." Many merchants apply the rental to purchase price. My young friend played in school band for 2-3 years, so it was worth the investment to buy him one. But some of his pals showed up a few times and decided it wasn't for them. The band teacher might have some leads to people who want to sell their horns.

Good luck. It's cool that your kid is interested in music - and doesn't want to lug a tuba or cello around.

3. humdrum

Thank you for the advice, Teflon. I understand what you mean about it "taking", and luckily he has alot of follow-through after he makes his mind up on something. The music teacher had a hands-on instrument day at the school and he has taken to the trumpet thus far. I would rather just find a trumpet for a decent price and be done with it.

I actually played concert tuba in symphonic band, sousaphone in marching, and string-bass in the jazz band when I was playing for school so I am pretty happy that he wants to play. I feel music important (along with properly teaching our children the safe handling of firearms) to a well-developed youth.

I've got guitars, electric basses, ukulele's and of course gunstuff if anyone wants to do some horse-swappin'!!!

4. xd45acp

xd45acp molalla Active Member

another vote for craigslist.

5. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Cool, with your brass experience you'll surely be able to recognize a defective instrument when you see one. Too often people sell broken or worn out crap, but you'll be nobody's fool.

That whole trade thing is catching on more and more. Exact dollar amounts become less important when two people have stuff they're not using and work a swap instead. Craigslist has a section specifically called Barter, and I tried it. I traded off a fiddle I cannot play for a proper piano tuning. If there's a way to watch your survivors after you leave this life, my dad is grinning.

6. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Kids change their minds as quickly as they change their underwear.
    My advice is, for now, just rent one.
    My daughter played 3 different instruments before she settled on sax in high school.
    I played 3 different instruments in school too, two of them in the same age period, like you. (Guitar and clarinet)

7. Sincere

Sincere Between Cascadia and Jefferson Active Member

I've got a nice quality trumpet, perfect for a student but nice enough that he could grow into it beyond that.

Shoot me a PM with gun goodies you'd be willing to trade for one.

Brand new value was aprox $500, but of course we would be trading so cash value isn't primary.

8. 9mmD

9mmD sw wa Member

I was in the same boat. My son played in 5th grade. so we rented from the local shop. Ended up paying quite alot by the end of the year. Now this year he still in interested ini the trumpet so i ordered one from costco. com for 200. Mind you they are not professional quality but more than good enough for entry level band stuff. And for that price it is cheaper than renting on for the year, plus now i have something he can play for more years or even sell/trade for some other insturment down the road.

9. humdrum

Cool guys, and thanks for all the comments. I'm still in the market, but as soon as I find one I'll let you know. Now where is Cascadia, Sincere?

10. KONE KILLER

KONE KILLER WASHOUGAL, WA Active Member

As the husband of a instrument repair tech, and being a musician, I gotta tell ya, dont do the First Act brand instrument shaped toys from costco!!!
    They are made from cheap pot metal and no qc standards at all. My wife has had some trumpets come in new that the valves that are already starting to loose the plate metal they put on them to work.
    She has had the trombones come in with the slide so out of alignment it would not move.
    99% of the time she does not work on them due to the fact that the metal is such a poor quality that it will crack if she is trying to align something or roll a dent out from an 'accident' at school.
    Check out some of your local music shops, you might be amazed at how cheap they really are. Also, the rent to own deals they do are well worth it.

11. humdrum

Thanks for the advice, Kone. PM inbound.

12. ArgyleAdams

ArgyleAdams Portland, OR Active Member

A lot of pawn shops don't really know what they have with wind instruments, or don't expect them to sell so price them low. I managed to get a playable French horn from one for $200 (I needed a beater), and trumpets tend to run cheaper. Garage sales are also worth looking into. I have a friend who got 2 used King trumpets for $25 that way. One of them didn't even need a tune-up to be a decent instrument.

I totally agree with you about the importance of music. Good luck!

Sent from my phone; typos likely.

13. KONE KILLER

KONE KILLER WASHOUGAL, WA Active Member

Dang!! That is a smoking deal for a horn!! I remember Pawn Xchange up north would have some good deals some times on horns.
    I went on a 'field trip' with my wifes Band Instrument Repair class. We went around to half a dozen pawn shops, picked up decent stuff that might need some dents pulled out or pads replaced, and then people would either keep them or sell them off. The only thing we got was an Olds trumpet with a rose gold bell from around the mid 50's. Still have it and play it from time to time.
    I am a horn player or flute (let the jokes begin...) player for the most part.

14. humdrum

Looks like the community is pulling through! Kone Killer has been working hard to set us up with a quality horn at a fair price, and it looks like he may have succeeded. Thank you!