Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I need a machanics Help! again lol....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by glockguy, Jul 16, 2011.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

So Heres the deal... I have an 06 Pontiac G6 With a lil over 93k miles on it... but the issue i am having is this:

I turn the and it will turn over and keep turning over like its not getting any gas.. just crank crank crank.... (it also does this when i try to start it with the remote start) sometimes it will eventually start other times it will stall an not start... turn the key again it usually starts... sometimes i will turn the key and it starts then dies... then try again and it starts ok.... now recently (with in the past few days) a couple things stay on when the key is out...1) the passenger airbag light stays on saying OFF... (which it should go off when the key is turned off) and 2) the cruse control button has a green light on it that comes on when its on... Well it continues to stay on after the car is off... and NOW the real kicker... this JUST started to happen as well with in the last couple days.... I turn the key to shut off the car.. pull the key out... and well the cars still running!! its shuts off about 6-8 seconds later.. I can even give it gas and it will rev up.. WTF! lol... im at a total loss... my guess its all connected.. perhaps an ignition switch??

2. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

GG, I would sure start there ...... JMO

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

yep Computer or remote possibility if it has an ignition module that has gone wacko

4. saabin

saabin Eugene Active Member

Without testing anything I am only guessing. Start with the ignition switch. I have replaced several in late 00's GMs. Mostly for parasitic draw problems rather than no start. A wonky (yes its a technical term) relay, ECU or BCM could also be a culprit.

Also let me know what engine it has in it and I'll check AllData for TSB's

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

You may have nailed it Mark.
    First step - Have the shop read the engine codes. The have a meter, a little computer, they plug in and the code helps narrow the problem saving you money on diagnostics.

I recently had emer. flashers come on when i turn off the key. headlights also came on. Turn signal would not shut off after making the turn.
    And all i had wrong was a bad alternator.

6. fastfoot

fastfoot Grant county, Wa. Member

if the check engine light comes on, a fast check w/a OBD scanner can get you a read out on what it could be. If you have an AUTOZONE in your area they do a free computer scan on your car. It maybe able to get you looking in the right area.

7. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Most of the chain parts stores have these available. I always reset the codes to see if they come back.

8. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

Just what I would do, if it's not a factory remote start unit. I would have that disconnected and see if you have the same problem. There might be a short in it, with you saying the car stays on when the key is off. That is something that remote starts have wired into them, they can start and keep the car running without a key in. They basically hotwire the car remotely, They also have sensors in it that will not allow to the car to start, such as if it's in gear, or sometimes done as a security feature if it is with an alarm. It sounds like there could be something going on with that unit there, that could be causing you these headaches.

9. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

The remote start is factory..

10. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Bad ground/intermittent ground. Blown relay or an overheat that caused insulation on some wires to expose bare copper thus arcing between different accessory channels.

That's my prelim assessment.

11. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

Perhaps pull the fuse for it, if it's a problem with the unit, it could do that. Otherwise, I'd start thinking about what darkminstrel said, and that some wires might be arcing together shorting different components.

12. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Why not just check the codes?
    They will tell you whassup

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  13. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

The eternal cranking thing might be a crankshaft position sensor that is going bad. Had that happen on a Jeep of mine. Other stuff leads me to think its in the ignition or pcm as others have said.