JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am going to begin searching for an AK. My wife is not too hot on the idea, but I can probably talk her into it.

I don't have a ton of "gun" knowledge, but I have gone through a great gun safety course and I shoot every once in a while. I have a few good friends that are gun junkies and my father-in-law is a police officer.

I have shot my friend's AK 4-5 times and I love it. Probably my favorite gun I have shot. It is a Chinese issue (Norinco??) from the early 90s (pre-Clinton ban).

I would like to get one that is simple and reliable. What are your guys' suggestions on a good AK to buy, and when do you think is the best time to buy? I know the recent election results have caused gun prices to shoot up, so I don't know if you think I should give it a couple months for excitement to drop or what.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You should buy a parts kit and build one yourself.

I'm not sure I'd recommend a parts kit for someone with limited gun knowledge. Especially since AK's are relatively cheap right now. Your mileage may vary...

I think you'd be fine going with a WASR - search online for what to look for before you buy (mag wobble, canted sights/gas blocks, etc). There's a bunch of sites out there dedicated to AKs: AK47.Net, AKFiles.Com, etc. I'd just start googling for WASR-10 and see what pops up.

It's hard to say whether to buy now or wait. Personally, if I was in the market for an AK, found one in decent shape, and it seemed in-line with other AK prices, I'd pick one up. WASR prices (around Seattle) seem to be around $480-$495 when I looked on Tuesday. I paid a lot less for mine, but I didn't wait until after the election to buy. If you really want one, better to have now than wish you had later - my opinion.

You'll also want to start looking for magazines & ammo. Both could be in short supply; or not.

What is involved with this? Links to places to buy? That might be fun and a great learning experience.

Ya, links to places to get these would be awesome! I'm in the dark when it comes to gun shopping, so feel free to hold my hand. :p

Do some reading here. http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=4
the "Build it Yourself" forum is very helpful.
If you score a kit and a receiver from Nodak Spud, all you need to do is find a build party. Anyone can complete an AK with some skilled AK builders around.

If you get a kit, make sure it isn't a "virgin" kit and has the original barrel.

AR15.com equipment exchange usually has a few kits also.

This is my first AK build:
DSC00224.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews