JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am going to begin searching for an AK. My wife is not too hot on the idea, but I can probably talk her into it.

I don't have a ton of "gun" knowledge, but I have gone through a great gun safety course and I shoot every once in a while. I have a few good friends that are gun junkies and my father-in-law is a police officer.

I have shot my friend's AK 4-5 times and I love it. Probably my favorite gun I have shot. It is a Chinese issue (Norinco??) from the early 90s (pre-Clinton ban).

I would like to get one that is simple and reliable. What are your guys' suggestions on a good AK to buy, and when do you think is the best time to buy? I know the recent election results have caused gun prices to shoot up, so I don't know if you think I should give it a couple months for excitement to drop or what.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You should buy a parts kit and build one yourself.

I'm not sure I'd recommend a parts kit for someone with limited gun knowledge. Especially since AK's are relatively cheap right now. Your mileage may vary...

I think you'd be fine going with a WASR - search online for what to look for before you buy (mag wobble, canted sights/gas blocks, etc). There's a bunch of sites out there dedicated to AKs: AK47.Net, AKFiles.Com, etc. I'd just start googling for WASR-10 and see what pops up.

It's hard to say whether to buy now or wait. Personally, if I was in the market for an AK, found one in decent shape, and it seemed in-line with other AK prices, I'd pick one up. WASR prices (around Seattle) seem to be around $480-$495 when I looked on Tuesday. I paid a lot less for mine, but I didn't wait until after the election to buy. If you really want one, better to have now than wish you had later - my opinion.

You'll also want to start looking for magazines & ammo. Both could be in short supply; or not.

What is involved with this? Links to places to buy? That might be fun and a great learning experience.

Ya, links to places to get these would be awesome! I'm in the dark when it comes to gun shopping, so feel free to hold my hand. :p

Do some reading here. http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=4
the "Build it Yourself" forum is very helpful.
If you score a kit and a receiver from Nodak Spud, all you need to do is find a build party. Anyone can complete an AK with some skilled AK builders around.

If you get a kit, make sure it isn't a "virgin" kit and has the original barrel.

AR15.com equipment exchange usually has a few kits also.

This is my first AK build:
DSC00224.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews