JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My dad was raised with a gun in his hands. 77 years old.
He owns a single action ruger .22

He owns two LCP's because I told him it's a nice small conceal gun. He hates any gun without a safety.

Old school.

Contractor on the jobsite was mouthing off about how he's good with banning these big guns that spray bullets everywhere. I asked him what kind of gun was that, and he said those machine gun AR15s that the military uses and people buy at the gunshops. He said they are made for killing and can spray hundreds of bullets at a time and no body needs one because you can't even hunt with them.

I told him I had three AR15s. His eyes bugged out. I asked him he knew the difference between an AR15, an M4 and/or an M16. He started yelling at me and said it doesn't matter. I told him that special kind of ignorance is why we have a problem in this sort of debate where the person yelling has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. This pissed him off even more...lol

So, I asked he was cool with a semi-auto 30-06 "deer rifle" and he said only if it is a bolt action.

I normally miss this sort of interaction with the ignorant in our midst, but I sure stepped in it today. Nothing good came out of it.

Were you able to wash it off?

I have met "them" before.
Many times it seems as if its best just not engage as it does not often end well.
But...
I have a neighbor and friend who when we met really did not like firearms , didn't understand why some folks own them or understand how guns work and have knowledge of the many different types of firearms etc ...

So after politely asking some questions like:
Have you shot a gun before?
Would you like to learn more about guns so you can have a better informed opinion on guns?
What gun of mine do you like the best?
All while talking about safety and the history of firearms as well.

Long story short she now is or has :
Competed in many matches.
Owns guns of her own.
A better working knowledge of guns / other gun owners.
Become a excellent shot and safe respectful shooter.

She is one of the reasons that I am willing to talk with others of a opposing view.
I get that a case of one is not much , when compared to the majority who may be entrenched in their view.
But if you can find someone who is willing to listen and gain more knowledge or insight , you might find someone , who at least you can work with.
Maybe even , have them decide that guns aren't bad and evil ... That shooting is fun and safe and that owning a gun brings much into their lives.
Andy

Last Edited:
...She is one of the reasons that I am willing to talk with others of a opposing view.
I get that a case of one is not much , when compared to the majority who may be entrenched in their view.
But if you can find someone who is willing to listen and gain more knowledge or insight , you might find someone , who at least you can work with.
Maybe even , have them decide that guns aren't bad and evil ... That shooting is fun and safe and that owning a gun brings much into their lives.
Andy

Nice Andy!

You never know, one of these positive interactions could end up:

...And they tell two friends, and they tell 2 friends, and they tell 2 friends...

Thanks Camelfilter.
Yep , never know how these things will turn out.
In my view , even if I do not turn someone into a gun owner or shooter , if I just help take away some ignorance and or fear , then it was time well spent and a worthwhile talk.
Andy

I get into a lot of conversations with folks who are surprised to find out I shoot 'those old fashioned guns.' Once the discussion has started on Muzzleloaders, which seem to be less threatening to those unfamiliar with guns, I can sneak other gun info into the conversation... and it's usually acceptedcalmly, maybe because I seem 'safe' since most modern terrorists don't choose Muzzleloaders as their weapon of choice.

Most like that you cant engage in, my own interactions are usually when someone catches a glimpse of my CC.
It usually a few snide remarks havent had anyone say anything in recent years, my sons neighbor get along great one day my son was open carrying his 8" SW 357 MAG, his neighbor saw it and said I have kids you know what the hell are you doing. My Son had no clue what the guy was talking about until he point at it. My son said maybe you should teach your kids to respect them instead fearing them like ( insert another name for a cat ) The kids were not even there. I laughed my arse off . Probably shouldnt have but my son is calm and collected until you act like a arse.Probably was not the best response but later the neighbor apologies and they have talked more about them.

IMG_4238.GIF

I have a fully automatic 302 with a C4, but I couldn't get enough to light up my cragers, so I bough a 350 with a turbo 300. Now I want a 427 with a 4L70E, my 302 could hold 5,000 rounds, my 350 maybe 10,000, but with the new design the 427 can hold only about 3000, but either one of them could go fast. Even with the 302 you could take down a telephone pole! Now its out there, if the government wants to come git-em. If you don't understand guns you should blame your step daddy for raising a liberal kitty.

I have a feeling that a lot of 'them' don't even know why they don't like guns. Maybe they've unknowingly accepted the anti-gun messages floating through the atmosphere... When I converse with 'them' without anger or conflict, some of them remember grandpa's old hunting rifle, or plinking with a .22 when they were younger, or some other non-threatening gun memory that makes them rethink their attitude. Maybe the militant anti-attitude is a knee-jerk reaction without roots that can be conversed away without putting them down or making them feel stupid. It's probably worth our time to try, biting our tongues when they spout silly stuff and calmly asking another non-threatening question, or offering an alternative viewpoint.

I have met "them" before.
Many times it seems as if its best just not engage as it does not often end well.
But...
I have a neighbor and friend who when we met really did not like firearms , didn't understand why some folks own them or understand how guns work and have knowledge of the many different types of firearms etc ...

So after politely asking some questions like:
Have you shot a gun before?
Would you like to learn more about guns so you can have a better informed opinion on guns?
What gun of mine do you like the best?
All while talking about safety and the history of firearms as well.

Long story short she now is or has :
Competed in many matches.
Owns guns of her own.
A better working knowledge of guns / other gun owners.
Become a excellent shot and safe respectful shooter.

She is one of the reasons that I am willing to talk with others of a opposing view.
Andy

Think of it, at one time in the US shooting was a bigger spectator sport than baseball. Football and basketball weren't even on the radart

Last Edited:
Too many people, regardless of political affiliation, prefer to lead their arguments with words that came out of someone else's mouth
I've often noted I can tell when a woman is going to say something intelligent. If she starts her statement with "A guy once told me" it may be worth listening.:D JK

These people can't be reasoned with. No matter how correct you are and no matter how many facts are on your side, they are blood bent on shoving their ideology and psychosis down your throat. Unless you are physically attacked, best to just smile and walk away. Look at all they energy those idiots spend every day trying to prove their points. Why bother with their sad little lives?

I wounder.. Andy was able to successfully convert one, so what if the NRA invested in a missionary program similar to what the Mormon church does. If a couple 19 dudes can convert people to mormonism through scripture and prayer, I'm sure going door to door handing out copies of american rifleman and inviting nonbelievers to the range to experience the recoil, and sweet smell of Hoope's #9 and burnt gun powder could work!

Last Edited:
And there ARE the type who support the bans (on semi autos) and have LOTS of firearms knowledge. Try the 'Professional Sportsman' types. Like the ones on the Outdoor Channel, Bill Dance Outdoors etc. You can't say these types are firearms ignorant. If they lack knowledge it is because they are simply not interested in that particular format of firearm but still support banning them. Heck my OWN practical knowledge of ARs ended with A1s in the service but I do NOT support banning them - just not particularly interested in them is all.
I only buy them to compensate for my financial shortcomings... lol

You have to look at it this way, there are the kids who cut school, don't study and grow up not knowing much about the world at large. Then there are kids who work hard at home and school even if they get crappy grades they keep going and they end up realizing a whole world with its pains and pleasures.
Probably like most of you I could write a freaking book on lives ups and downs and how f-ed it can be. But all that makes me who I am today. I think that we are protecting our kids so much they are like the brain washed Nazi's of Germany they know only from the world what little they are taught. China has wind power and solar and is one of the biggest polluters in the world. You know what " THEM" focus on in all this global warming BS? they focus on China having wind power and solar and ignore they dump about 10x more pollutants per-person then we do here. But like talking to a wall so when it comes to firearms its no wonder if can be hard as they have this narrow condition.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads