JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Contractor on the jobsite was mouthing off about how he's good with banning these big guns that spray bullets everywhere. I asked him what kind of gun was that, and he said those machine gun AR15s that the military uses and people buy at the gunshops. He said they are made for killing and can spray hundreds of bullets at a time and no body needs one because you can't even hunt with them.

I told him I had three AR15s. His eyes bugged out. I asked him he knew the difference between an AR15, an M4 and/or an M16. He started yelling at me and said it doesn't matter. I told him that special kind of ignorance is why we have a problem in this sort of debate where the person yelling has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. This pissed him off even more...lol

So, I asked he was cool with a semi-auto 30-06 "deer rifle" and he said only if it is a bolt action.

I normally miss this sort of interaction with the ignorant in our midst, but I sure stepped in it today. Nothing good came out of it.

I've heard some people who do support the right to keep and bear arms but have suggested banning semiautomatic weapons simply because they have zero firearm knowledge. Once I explain to them everyone has responded that such a law would be complete BS and an attack on the 2nd Amendment.

Education is key --- especially about terms that people without firearm knowledge lack. Ie, assault rifles. In the movies and TV shows they see the military rifles in fully automatic...and think civilians are the ones buying the same gun. Not true.

And therein lies part of the problem. The ignorant anti-gunners are usually fueled by false information, twisted statistics, emotion (fear, anger, hatred) and just a general misunderstanding of guns and gun owners. The type you ran into today are not able to have an open mind (though they will scream at you that they do). They cannot have the 'open and honest' discussion the President says we need to have. They are a walking bag of hypocrisy and hatred, wrapped up in bitterness and uncontrolled emotion.

I'd love to talk to folks like this myself, and sometimes I get to. Main difference is that I can keep my emotions and the volume of my voice in check and...I can stop talking long enough to listen. If they can afford the same respectful manner, then we could have a conversation that might give them a chance to learn something that is actually true.

Contractor on the jobsite was mouthing off about how he's good with banning these big guns that spray bullets everywhere. I asked him what kind of gun was that, and he said those machine gun AR15s that the military uses and people buy at the gunshops. He said they are made for killing and can spray hundreds of bullets at a time and no body needs one because you can't even hunt with them.

I told him I had three AR15s. His eyes bugged out. I asked him he knew the difference between an AR15, an M4 and/or an M16. He started yelling at me and said it doesn't matter. I told him that special kind of ignorance is why we have a problem in this sort of debate where the person yelling has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. This pissed him off even more...lol

So, I asked he was cool with a semi-auto 30-06 "deer rifle" and he said only if it is a bolt action.

I normally miss this sort of interaction with the ignorant in our midst, but I sure stepped in it today. Nothing good came out of it.

You should offer to take him shooting. He might be surprised what a real AR does and doesn't do. And, he might even get hooked. That is, if you can get through the ignorant rant first.

Yeap... But this isn't the only topic people claim opinions on for themselves that they don't know jack bubblegum about. Look at........ well, every single politically divisive topic............. in existence.

It's definitely better to educate when you get the chance... but you're not going to make someone who's stupid about guns "educated" on the topic in a 5 minute interaction. And if the conversation is adversarial, it's definitely not going to do anyone any good. Just walk away from those situation.

Trust me.... I have a LOT of interaction and experience with gun re-tards.

Yeap... But this isn't the only topic people claim opinions on for themselves that they don't know jack bubblegum about. Look at........ well, every single politically divisive topic............. in existence.

It's definitely better to educate when you get the chance... but you're not going to make someone who's stupid about guns "educated" on the topic in a 5 minute interaction. And if the conversation is adversarial, it's definitely not going to do anyone any good. Just walk away from those situation.

Trust me.... I have a LOT of interaction and experience with gun re-tards.

Surprisingly enough, some people will listen. It really depends on the general attitude and demeanor of a person. I enjoy debate. I enjoy talking to people that disagree with me or shares opposite opinions. Even if we don't change each other's minds, I usually learn something - something about what they believe and why they believe it. The added bonus of having a well mannered debate is that you are forced to know your stuff - if you don't you either go back to the drawing board and do more research, or you just agree to disagree.

Too many people, regardless of political affiliation, prefer to lead their arguments with words that came out of someone else's mouth. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that do that. And they tend to be the ones that you can't have a reasonable discussion/debate with, because they've never learned how to back up their position.

Hey, I do my part when I can. But I've learned to recognize the signs - and I will not get into it with someone who's obviously got his stupid mind made up.

Hey, I do my part when I can. But I've learned to recognize the signs - and I will not get into it with someone who's obviously got his stupid mind made up.

It helps when you can recognize that up front. The fact is that most of us have our minds made up to some extent. The real trick is getting someone to intelligently articulate why they believe what they do. And if you can find those folks, they can be fun and informative to talk to - even if you don't change each other's minds.

It doesn't help any that T.V. coverage almost always refers to the AR as Automatic or Assault Rifle rather then explaining the difference between Auto. and Semi Auto, Assault Rifle and AR 15.

I've heard some people who do support the right to keep and bear arms but have suggested banning semiautomatic weapons simply because they have zero firearm knowledge.
And there ARE the type who support the bans (on semi autos) and have LOTS of firearms knowledge. Try the 'Professional Sportsman' types. Like the ones on the Outdoor Channel, Bill Dance Outdoors etc. You can't say these types are firearms ignorant. If they lack knowledge it is because they are simply not interested in that particular format of firearm but still support banning them. Heck my OWN practical knowledge of ARs ended with A1s in the service but I do NOT support banning them - just not particularly interested in them is all.

I was a bit off my game this morning and let the guy get to me, soooo I baited him a bit. Normally I try to ask better questions because it is the right thing to do.

And therein lies part of the problem. The ignorant anti-gunners are usually fueled by false information, twisted statistics, emotion (fear, anger, hatred) and just a general misunderstanding of guns and gun owners. The type you ran into today are not able to have an open mind (though they will scream at you that they do). They cannot have the 'open and honest' discussion the President says we need to have. They are a walking bag of hypocrisy and hatred, wrapped up in bitterness and uncontrolled emotion.

I'd love to talk to folks like this myself, and sometimes I get to. Main difference is that I can keep my emotions and the volume of my voice in check and...I can stop talking long enough to listen. If they can afford the same respectful manner, then we could have a conversation that might give them a chance to learn something that is actually true.

You Sir have a way with words. SALUTE!!!!;)
Calm seems to pi$$ em off worse than yelling or a well timed throat punch that they well deserved and never saw it coming.....o_Oo_Oo_O

You Sir have a way with words. SALUTE!!!!;)
Calm seems to pi$$ em off worse than yelling or a well timed throat punch that they well deserved and never saw it coming.....o_Oo_Oo_O

Thanks ;)

Funny thing is that I've found folks I'm talking to tend to get upset/angry before I do. When I was younger, I was more of the hothead type. Now, I tend to keep myself calm in all but the most heated of situations. It is funny how ticked people will get when you don't respond to their angry outburst with the same.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top