JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So here's the story. My Wife's uncle has lung cancer and is close to the end. Before he passes he had me come look at all of his guns to get an idea on value and how to sell them. His kids aren't interested in them. He can't really make it to a gun store to sell them. Plus I want to get him the most money I can to leave with his wife.

He has a mix of old/very old firearms and there's 22 in total.

Ideas on the best way to handle this? Thank you.

Are you unsure of the value of the firearms?

He can transfer them to you (immediate family) without an FFL transfer, and you can sell them for him/his wife on NWFA.

If you are unsure of the value of any of the firearms, I would start with looking here for similar firearms and see what people are asking for them, then ask for the average.

If you can't find similar firearms here, I would suggest posting pics and info about the firearms in this thread or another (not a for sale thread) and asking for opinions on value. Then as you determine the value, post them on NWFA - IMO this forum is one of the best market places for selling firearms.

In general, the members here are honest, law abiding and have a proven interest in buying firearms. Also, they are mostly local, which reduces the hassle of selling by quite a bit IMO.

There's a lot of variables there. If he's in advanced stages of lung cancer, he's not going to have the time/energy to deal with selling. And it doesn't sound like the family really has interest (or, for that matter, time if they are also sealing with his disease). If he and his wife trust you, and you're up to the task, I would probably look at transferring the whole lot to you and then you take the time/effort to handle selling through places like here, gunbroker, etc. That's going to get them the most return, but going to take the most effort. Other options are to consign them through any number of FFLs that do so...that will get you/them more than selling them used to an FFL, but will require less effort - unless something doesn't sell and the family has to retake possession. The lowest return but least effort would be to sell it all to an FFL outright. My experience there is that they'll typically offer roughly 20-30% less than what they claim they can sell it for, which is often less than half of what it would cost new.

So just by the first two suggestions I should probably have them all transferred to my wife. Since it's her family. Then I could take on the task of selling for them.

And yes it's mainly because of value. Some of these guns are over 100 years old and are unfired. Others I have a decent idea about but still not sure and I'd like to get as much as I can for them so when he passes they have that money.

You can accept the firearms for transfer yourself if you find it easier:

(A)A transferor's spouse or domestic partner;

(B)A transferor's parent or stepparent;

(C)A transferor's child or stepchild;

(D)A transferor's sibling;

(E)A transferor's grandparent;

(F)A transferor's grandchild;

(G)A transferor's aunt or uncle;

(H)A transferor's first cousin;

(I)A transferor's niece or nephew; or

(J)The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.

Since there is no paperwork required, it doesn't really matter whether it is your wife or you. Both are legal, and if your wife doesn't want to hassle with being present at an FFL when the firearm is sold, then you can sell them instead of her. Also, her uncle/aunt can transfer them to your wife and then your wife can transfer them to you. It doesn't really matter as far as the law is concerned IMO (IANAL, but the law is fairly simple and plain in this regard - again, IMO).

Yes, not 100% sure how the Oregon rules are, but here in WA that would be the path of transfer: Uncle -> Wife, then Wife -> You. Sounds like there are some potential easter eggs in that collection (really old and unfired condition) that aren't going to return their true value without someone taking the time to really work at selling them.

As Heretic said, the group here is a community that, by and large, will be looking to help out in placing value and even helping move some of that collection for you at a fair price. Best of luck. It sucks to lose a member of the family (lost my FIL to lung cancer 5 years ago tomorrow), and having someone that can step in and help take care of things with honest intentions during a time of grief is a huge help.

ETA: There you have it, Heretic beat me to it with real info on the transfer.

WA state law is very similar:

This section does not apply to:
(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan;

Thank you both. Sounds like transferring them to me would be the easiest and I can start getting more info on them.

Yea there's a few gems in there as well as some very old junk. I'll wait for a police buy back to turn the junk in. But just general estimations based on preliminary research there's between $5000 on the low end and $11,000 on the high end.

However more accurate information will be needed before I move forward on any of them.

If any of the firearms are muzzle loaders...I'd be happy to assist in determining a ID or value.
Andy
Nope, no muzzle loaders. To give you an idea they're things like:

Springfield M1 Garand
Springfield 1903
Colt Trooper MK III 357 mag
Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32
Argentinian Mauser Model 1909
1941 Winchester Model 1894
Winchester Model 1890 in .22 Short
Etc.

A few more bolt action rifles in there too.

Are you unsure of the value of the firearms?

He can transfer them to you (immediate family) without an FFL transfer, and you can sell them for him/his wife on NWFA.

No offense to NWFA, but this is not the site to move a firearm that's worth a whole lot of money. If I was looking to unload a Glock for $400, sure. But if I was selling a Colt Diamondback or a Pre-64 M70, I'd go to a nation-wide sight where there is more money.

Last Edited:
Isn't there some issue with the number of gun sales a private citizen can have in a year? Or more correctly, I think you are limited to 5 sales transactions per year. That may only apply to handguns but I am positive there is some rule at the federal level about how many guns a non-FFL can sell in a 12 month period.

Now offense to NWFA, but this is not the site to move a firearm that's worth a whole lot of money. If I was looking to unload a Glock for $400, sure. But if I was selling a Colt Diamondback or a Pre-64 M70, I'd go to a nation-wide sight where there is more money.

I don't know? The guns are worth what heir worth. I think there are quite a few members here that would like to pay what their worth. Garand, 1903, Mauser....OP has had quite a few sales here, it would be nice to see something put up for the members that make this site what it is? If a proper price can't be realized then they could always be put up to a wider audience?

Springfield M1 Garand
Springfield 1903
Etc.

Tough times - lots of emotions and stress when this happens to loved ones. Be strong and calm for them and your wife.

Some really great advice earlier about his firearms, and there are many people on the forum who will give you experienced free opinions to weigh values with. An FFL or gun shop will take more like 20% on a consignment or 50% if they even want to buy it outright. The forum members will probably get you a better return on them.

Also, even the less desirable old firearms will have value for some of us as parts guns or "wall candy" so try the forum first with them all.

Turn ins' mean those firearms will probably be destroyed...give the forum a chance with those first. :)

I don't know? The guns are worth what heir worth. I think there are quite a few members here that would like to pay what their worth. Garand, 1903, Mauser....OP has had quite a few sales here, it would be nice to see something put up for the members that make this site what it is? If a proper price can't be realized then they could always be put up to a wider audience?

Its worth a try, but nothing sells here if it doesn't have lots of acronyms in the title or is bolted into a "chassis".

Springfield M1 Garand
Springfield 1903
Etc.

In the case of the Colt 1903, be aware that ORIGINAL factory two-tone magazines run $200 each, while aftermarket repros are more like $40. Also, be aware that the Colt 1903s were fire blued, giving them a bluish, less deep looking finish than a chemically blued gun. This is NOT a defect. $500 and up, depending on condition.

The 1941 1894 Winchester, if unfired would be priceless.

So here's the story. My Wife's uncle has lung cancer and is close to the end. Before he passes he had me come look at all of his guns to get an idea on value and how to sell them. His kids aren't interested in them. He can't really make it to a gun store to sell them. Plus I want to get him the most money I can to leave with his wife.

He has a mix of old/very old firearms and there's 22 in total.

Ideas on the best way to handle this? Thank you.
I would get a gift letter from your wife's uncle describing the firearms, serial numbers, etc. and have it notarized. That way there are no arguments or hitches down the road.

Isn't there some issue with the number of gun sales a private citizen can have in a year? Or more correctly, I think you are limited to 5 sales transactions per year. That may only apply to handguns but I am positive there is some rule at the federal level about how many guns a non-FFL can sell in a 12 month period.

No.

If you are not in the business of buying and selling firearms then you don't need an FFL to sell personally owned firearms. ATF uses the liquidation of inherited firearms as an example of not needing an FFL, and states there is no limit on the number - it is intent combined with action that determines whether you are "in the business". I sold a number of inherited firearms when my father passed.

Now offense to NWFA, but this is not the site to move a firearm that's worth a whole lot of money. If I was looking to unload a Glock for $400, sure. But if I was selling a Colt Diamondback or a Pre-64 M70, I'd go to a nation-wide sight where there is more money.

I just recently sold a rifle and some ammo to go with it for almost $3K here on the forum.

Sure, there are other forums, especially those dedicated to particular brand and types of firearms where you may sell something faster, but then you wind up dealing with shipping, payment and so on. I've only done that once and it was 15 years ago when there weren't so many scam artists out there with so many scams to work. Today I would only sell FTF, no shipping - just too much hassle for me to do otherwise.

Of course, the wider the market, the more exposure and the better the chance of finding a well funded buyer for a high ticket item.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top