JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
we shot 'in the dark' scenarios last night,using flashlights only, and the fella with the hi-cap,laser equipped pistol SMOKED the stage. 5 rounds on three targets,all center of mass,in just a tad over 17 seconds.
I may just have to get a more 'tactical' pistol because u can time my reloads on my 1911 with a sundial.

What if your battery or laser fail at the worst possible moment?

Train for the worst case scenarios FIRST.. then add useful gadgets. Nite sights are a must on most fighting guns, IMO

If you are working on home defense then nite sights and a suitable long gun should be first. Consider Atlantic Firearms (.com) quick-use body armor solutions with the built in pistol and magazine carriers..

Is your light mounted to your pistol? Or, were you using a Harries/Chapman hold or something similar? If you're holding your flashlight in your weak hand, reloading can be a challenge.

If you're light is mounted, I have to ask how often you practice reloading in the dark? Do you ever run reload drills or immediate action drills with your eyes closed? I'd suggest this before dumping $800 on a new pistol, the 1911 is a fine platform. Oh, and night sights are a MUST!

What if they made a glow in the dark mag and a magwell with lights?

I'm joking. I suggest training with a blind fold reload, reload, reload. Clean a jam, reload.
Holster, draw, reload, clean jam, holster draw, reload, holster.
Take blind fold off , look in a mirror and see a badass.

Muscle memory will beat flashlights, tacticool anything, jedi mind tricks all that.
When you don't have to see what your doing to do it correctly you won't need to look at what to do just react and survive.

And for shooting, nite sights help, but listening and keeping a stable body and the muscle memory of a directive fire will do even better when in low light or no light.
Think kevin costner in the bodyguard after he bust through the window of the cabin.

What if they made a glow in the dark mag and a magwell with lights?

I'm joking. I suggest training with a blind fold reload, reload, reload. Clean a jam, reload.
Holster, draw, reload, clean jam, holster draw, reload, holster.
Take blind fold off , look in a mirror and see a badass.

Muscle memory will beat flashlights, tacticool anything, jedi mind tricks all that.
When you don't have to see what your doing to do it correctly you won't need to look at what to do just react and survive.

And for shooting, nite sights help, but listening and keeping a stable body and the muscle memory of a directive fire will do even better when in low light or no light.
Think kevin costner in the bodyguard after he bust through the window of the cabin.

that takes care of be "sure of your target and what is behind it"

That would all depend on the senario and environment.
I was referring to firearm manipulation.

Now environment and senario can change everything and action in a dangerous siuation.
You in the house, apt, middle of the woods?
If i'm in the woods alone and feel threatened i'm shooting at anything that moves.
If I'm in an apartment i'm holding fire at any and all costs.
If i'm in a house, did I already gather my family? Or are they all around the house?
Did my kids sneak out and sneaking back in?
Did my wife?!

I guess to simplify always be ready. Have a flashlight and replace your batteries every week/ month depending on how often you use it. I keep flashlights by the bed, in my bathroom, in my kitchen, living room, and a couple in the car. And always have extra batteries.

But still repetition and muscle memory will save your life just as fast as a light, sights, magic, etc

That would all depend on the senario and environment.
I was referring to firearm manipulation.

Now environment and senario can change everything and action in a dangerous siuation.
You in the house, apt, middle of the woods?
If i'm in the woods alone and feel threatened i'm shooting at anything that moves.
If I'm in an apartment i'm holding fire at any and all costs.
If i'm in a house, did I already gather my family? Or are they all around the house?
Did my kids sneak out and sneaking back in?
Did my wife?!

I guess to simplify always be ready. Have a flashlight and replace your batteries every week/ month depending on how often you use it. I keep flashlights by the bed, in my bathroom, in my kitchen, living room, and a couple in the car. And always have extra batteries.

But still repetition and muscle memory will save your life just as fast as a light, sights, magic, etc

once again that takes care of be "sure of your target and what is behind it"

Remember:
MOVE
shoot
MOVE
shoot
MOVE
did you notice that 'Stand' is missing from that Drill?
I have lasers, I love em as training tools AND as targeting devices, but if you turn on a light and stand there,,,guess what?
Of course if your inside an average home you may well have to stand and fight, be the guy with the largest magazine and simply overwhelm the opposition with a wall of well directed lead. If you have a Laser use it, don't rely on it. I would rather have an 800 lummin Tac light that blinds everything in front of it but lets me ID the target rather than rely on a TINY laser dot in darkness

Over dependency on gadgets leads to bad habits. Then, when those gadgets die, people with bad habits have nothing to fall back on. If you do use gadgets, use them as a force multiplier, not as a replacement for the fundamentals.

I know your frustrations with said gadget man smoking the course...just remember that most shootings are within 7' and end in the first two shots.

My suggestion? Work on your reloads until you can do them in your sleep. Work on the basic fundamentals until you don't need to see the sights. Then, and only then, if you have the money and desire to buy gadgets (laser/flashlight mounted tools, speed holsters, etc.) should you do so.

Night sights, however, are invaluable. They are worth the investment and I'm surprised that all modern firearms don't automatically come with them.

*Riot Out*

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads