Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I LOVE MY DPMS CARBINE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by kenno, Apr 15, 2011.

1. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

OK so it aint all James Bond!
    It aint all Transformer(s)
    It does the job, thats all I need@!
    2MOA and reliable!
    Hugh O'Brian once said he was the fastest gun alive, he actually said that several times and says it even today.
    My mentor called him on it several decades ago demanding they use loaded six-guns. Hugh shut his mouth and only started yapping after my friend was declared dead in an air crash.
    Connection?
    Yes
    The Bullsheeters never stop talking
    They never start walking.
    It's easy to get a 10K M-4 if the tax payer is paying for it. Don't mean he man behind it can walk the talk.

2. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

i'm not really sure what your point is.. but i'd encourage you to bring your DPMS carbine out to one of our PNW shoots and put it through it's paces, if it's your claim that you're a better shooter because you have a low-end gun.

it'll give you an opportunity to better asses your own abilities, relative to other serious shooters, and to assess how your weapon performs during the rigors of a hard and hot firing schedule.

3. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

Dude thats harsh why burst a mans bubble just because he did not dump 2k into a rifle. as long as he is happy better to have a $600-700 ar than no ar

4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Actually, it seemed like an invitation to come out to a shoot. The fact is that most people never work guns hard enough to make them fail. I am guilty of it like everyone else. I enjoy busting clay pigeons off the hillside with my AR's. But if you want to evaluate how well a gun will hold up, going to a competition or class with it will more than likely expose it's weakspots. As for the "if it's your claim that you're a better shooter because you have a low-end gun", I don't think I saw that attitude in the OP (just my opinion). I think the OP probably could have ended his post after four lines, as I'm not sure what the Hugh O'Brien story was about...

No bubble bursting meant. If all you ever want to do with your AR is plink and have fun, then the DPMS is more than adequate. And cost effective too. But if you have aspirations towards using it for self-defense, classes, or competition, you should definitely get it out and run it hard to find out its weak points (as even the "10K M-4" has weak spots).

Either way, have fun with the gun. My first AR was a DPMS build...

5. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

uh....um...

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Obviously kenno has run into more than one bkb000 in his hunt for the best AR for HIS BUDGET and needs.
    It's funny that some dis DPMS and Bushies and others laugh at them because theirs runs perfect every time.With some tasty accuracy.
    Now I know when you have spent $2k+ on a gun,or say 50-100% more than necessary for most,you need to convince yourself it was money well spent. Kind of "I'm more tacticool causin I bought this gun" type thing.You look better at the range huh?

The DPMS should run great for you.And the beauty of it is,it's easy to change the stuff that doesn't work as good as you want. Plus you can buy a few for the price of some of the Noveskis.

7. Dieselfuel12v

Dieselfuel12v Bellingham Member

Shoulda got a $3k carbine, now you can't hold your head above others, and your gun will jam.

8. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

high end ar15 $2000
    high end optics and mounts $2000
    gizmos to go on the high end ar15 $500

The look on your face when when you ar jams -priceless

Scott, sandman1212, mjbskwim and 3 others like this.
  9. eldbillbo

Or

high end ar15 $2000
    high end optics and mounts $2000
    gizmos to go on the high end ar15 $500

The look on your face when when your AR is out shot by a $700 AR - priceless

"What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?" thulsa doom

sandman1212, mjbskwim, Scott and 5 others like this.
  10. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

@eldbillbo:thumbup:x2 to both comments,, so true!;)

11. Shooter98

Shooter98 McMinnville, Or. Member

I shoot 3 gun and have been using 2 different DPMS m4's for a few years now and I consistantly place in the top 5 no matter where we shoot. So, I'll take your challenge.

12. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

Someones been trolling ARFdot com!

Lol

That's why I like to build mine. But then that's half the fun with guns IMO. The build is what I look forward to the most!

13. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

My DPMS AP4 was a choice I spent 3 years making, initially wanting a Colt, since that is what I carried in the war, and had good info it was the best. I shot with Delta Force and FBI during Leupold's development of their CQB scope, and talked with those guys. They gave DPMS favorable reviews without exception (for my purposes of a good, reliable and accurate hunting gun for coyotes and the like). A dedicated Colt collector, but a working man on limited funds, I chose the DPMS. It continues to scare me where accuracy is concerned. 1.5" out of the box with iron sights and crappy "America Eagle" ammo. Now, with Timney trigger, Leupold 3x-9x ultralight and careful handloads, it shoots coyote-eye sized groups. I have shot it rapid fire, sideways, upside down and everything I could think of to make it fail. It has not. I intended to start with the carbine, and upgrade to a heavy-barreled target version upper later for my quest toward accuracy. Not necessary. Kenno got it right with a lot less research than I did.

14. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Yeah well spitpatch,you better not take that poo poo to ar15 dot cause you'll hurt their feelings.

15. Ben Beckerich

16. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

IMO the reliability of the AR is more related to the operator, not the roll mark.

Give a idiot a Noveske or BCM, he's still an idiot.

17. Ben Beckerich

and give a DPMS to larry vickers, it'll still malfunction.

18. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

glad you like your DPMS...enjoy

19. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

I think Larry Vickers will malfunction before the gun.

yes I was in the military NAB Coronado, CA and right on the strand. Research about it and you might learn what it is. There is a big difference then playing guns and in battle. I will take any gun in battle as it is better than nothing.

What's wrong with DPMS? You seem to think they suck. He could take his DPMS and put loads of useless crap on it still will shoot.

20. Ben Beckerich

i don't think they "suck." it's more complicated than that. but they do have more shortcomings than other big-name commercial manufacturers.

-DPMS's bolts follow none of the standard conventions for bolt durability, including steel type, HPT and MPI verification, shot peening, and proper heat treating, machined extractors and five-coil extractor springs. hence, DPMS bolts are basically the only big name AR bolts that ever break anymore.
    -DPMS chambers their barrels inconsistently tighter than just about any other manufacturer in history, which explains frequent problems with blown primers, bad extraction, and exacerbating extractor breakage
    -DPMS rarely adequately torques and almost never adequately stakes threaded parts, if they stake them at all (like the end-plate)
    and so on, and so forth. and i'm not even going to address the less important, but equally quality-and-cost-cutting measures, like barrel steel, FCG consistency, receiver extension type and diameter, WAY over-sized gas ports, all-steel weight buffers, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

and this is what we see on the range, and in my shop- popped primers, failure to extracts, case-head separation, by way of functional malfunction.. and loose receiver extensions, short stroking from loose gas components, failures to extract from broken extractors, up to and including broken bolt lugs, by way of part or assembly failure. there is no other manufacturer that has so many consistent problems.

i'm not saying this to be insulting, but most of you obviously have no clue what actually goes into these guns, or what makes them "good" or "bad," yet you'll hail the merits of one gun or another and never offer anything of any substance. what i never see, from a DPMS user, is hard facts from a personal knowledge base. just "i've had mine for 5 years and never had a problem," failing to mention that you've only put 500 rounds through it in 5 years. or "i've put 5,000 rounds through mine and it's been flawless," failing to mention that those 5,000 rounds were throughout the course of 5+ years. or "my special forces/FBI/Navy SEAL brother/uncle/friend/trainer says ___________," which means absolutely nothing as hearsay, but especially since professional shooters rarely actually know anything about the guns they're issued, aside from how to maintain them and shoot them well. you ask 9 out of 10 SFG soldiers what steel the bolt in his Mk18 is made out of and you're likely to get a blank stare. why should he know or care? his weapon has a shot-peened, heat-treated, high-pressure load tested, magnetic particle inspected, bolt made from Carpenter 158 with an o-ring, five coil spring, and forged/machined extractor... his bolt is statistically very unlikely to fail him, therefor it's a non-issue.