JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Took my 6 inch model 17 Smith out yesterday for some practice. I bought it from a Lebanon pawnshop for $400 and couldn't figure out why they sold it so cheap. (in my opinion). When I first bought it and shot it the double action wouldn't fire but four times out of six. Yep that is why they sold it

Told a good friend about my problems and he gave me a new mainspring. I put it in and finally yesterday got to try it. She really shoots now. Boy does she shoot good.

The gun is interesting as it has a white outline rear site and a post front with a brass bead on it. It is an early gun and shows little wear yet has a few spots of missing blueing. Grips are perfect. Boy I sure like them 22s.

jj

I just purchased an H&R 629 (I have wanted one since I read an old book about trapping when I was in the 3rd grade).

The DA trigger on the gun is like something you would find on exercise equipment, but the SA isn't too horrible.

However, I now have a gun that I can push 1,000 rounds through for under $14.00. That is good, cheap practice in my book. I missed squirrel season this year, but I'm looking forward to chasing grays next year.

I only have one .22lr handgun - not sure why I don't own more. They sure are fun, cheap and easy to shoot.

I'm thinking that my next .22 will be a single-six or a used S&W X17 if I can find one for a good price. I'd really like a S&W 317 3", but they're too expensive.

Well if you think about it they make a 22 in just about every action type there is. If you buy a 22 in a K Frame Smith then you can work on your site picture and trigger pull for K Frames. Same with the J-Frames, it is so much cheaper to practice and get good with a 22. Then move up to your big calibers.

They have great kits for 1911s etc to convert your gun. Use it to keep practicing your trigger pull on the 1911 frame that you mount it on.

22s are the way to go and more fun than most give them credit for. Next time you go out take some old empty shot shell cases and shoot them till you can't see them.

jj

I've got a .22A as well... It came with two barrels and I mounted a red dot on the shorter one... Since then I have never tried the long barrel. No need to, the shorter one makes teeny little holes... By far the most accurate handgun i've ever fired..

Alright, noob question.....

I have asperations of getting a Glock 21SF. But I have decided that since I haven't owned a handgun before, and its been forever since I have shot, it would be a good idea to start with a .22 for training.

My question is, is there any specific .22 that would be a good gun to start with?

Buy a 22lr in the action and style you intend to buy later in centerfire. If you want to carry a Ruger Blackhawk then get a Super Single Six ect.

jj

I have aspirations of getting a Glock 21SF. But I have decided that since I haven't owned a handgun before, and its been forever since I have shot, it would be a good idea to start with a .22 for training.

My question is, is there any specific .22 that would be a good gun to start with?

Probably any semi-auto .22 lr would work. S&W 22A series guns are cheap and seem to get good reviews. Ruger Mark-series and Browning Buck Mark would also be good choices.

There are .22 lr conversion kits you could get for the Glock, but I think having a separate .22 lr handgun isn't a bad choice in the long run. Good for taking new shooters to the range. Good to have something different to shoot.

There are .22 lr conversion kits you could get for the Glock, but I think having a separate .22 lr handgun isn't a bad choice in the long run. Good for taking new shooters to the range. Good to have something different to shoot.

thats kinda what i was thinking. I have a 6 year old son that I am sure will become interested in shooting sooner or later. And after looking at some youtube vids and checking out the TCGC site, I have become interested in maybe trying out some .22 competitive shooting. Looks pretty cool. Thanks for the info.

+1 on the Browning Buck Mark!
Though I have a Glock G21 and really like it I sure would not recommend one for a first pistol. I think Ryan is on the right path.

I have a Colt Ace conversion for the 1911 and it's a useful tool, not really accurate but fun and does expand the capability of the 1911 platform. All that said I think a dedicated .22 is a better way to go...

I do like my S&W 22A. :s0155:

I've also got a Glock 21 and I'm in full agreement that it would not be a good choice for a first handgun. Any .22lr semi-auto pistol makes a great first handgun AND even when experienced it's great choice for casual plinking because the ammo is CHEAP by comparision! :D

Plus they are great training guns for teaching the kids proper gun safety.

Gots to agree, 22 handguns are a blast to shoot!

Is it really because it's the cheapest way to shoot? Probaby somewhat.

I have a Beretta U22. This is my most favorite, fun firearm to shoot.

Anyone else had the pleasure?

Frog.

I have asperations of getting a Glock 21SF. But I have decided that since I haven't owned a handgun before, and its been forever since I have shot, it would be a good idea to start with a .22 for training.

Sig Sauer has a special offer right now for the P226 or P220 in .22LR.

It comes with a coupon for a discount toward a 9mm, .40, or .357Sig complete slide/barrel assembly.

In the end you get a gun that fires .22 and a centerfire cartridge for less than the price of the regular centerfire gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top