JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We should pass a law where government employees and dolesters can't vote otherwise guess what they'll always vote for.? more dole and government.

I have A very large financial investment in my firearms, tens of thousands of dollars. I have carefully stashed a huge supply of ammo & reloading components also.

I used to drive from Portland to the State and Federal Forest two to three time a week to target shoot. I am not fond of local shooting ranges. I like being alone in the woods. Furthermore, I shoot out to 1.5 miles sometimes - good luck finding that kind of shooting range!

I drive a 13mpg jeep. I am deeply saddened because the current price of gas has ruined my favorite retirement pastime! Round trip to the woods usually requires 110 to 190 miles of driving, sometimes more because I simply like driving in the backwoods. I need my jeep because I carry a lot of equipment. An economy vehicle just will not cut it.

WHO can afford these insane gas prices? And I read that gas is going to go up to possibly 10 to 12+ per gallon.

Being retired, I have limited income. My love of shooting was something I looked forward to. Gas prices have ruined my life! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
You said it. You might consider a VR headset to fill the need. Not the same experience, but you could also drive a brand new virtual Jeep To the "range". 😂

Fuel prices are a pain but if you like living in Oregon you are already used to ALWAYS paying higher than whatever the national average is.
I don't drive my diesel as much as I would like as Oregon diesel prices are still crazy high.
Last weekend in eastern Washington, I saw diesel was over a dollar a gallon cheaper than Portland metro area. What's up with that?

Arakboss has been bartering gun power for rice and beans. Pretty cool how he figures it out and even tells people where to get the stuff cheap.
He's managing his supplies like we all would have to when there's a shortage. Gas for shooting supplies isn't unreasonable I guess.

I figure since we have a finite number of days where we are aware of our surroundings, might as well live where you will be happiest.

Be sure and vote!!! don't assume your vote won't matter.
While you are voting, vote NO on measure 114.
Oregon doesn't need more laws.
Criminals don't follow the rules we already have let alone any new ones, and the lawful rest of us already follow the rules we have.

1665081683891.png

Close to the woods, beaches, rivers, shopping, NO 10% Washington sales tax! I don't like ALL of Portland, but since I live in West Linn, Life is good.
we live in Clark Co so we can shop in Oregon, and live in Washington with no state income tax
having moved up here from Lake Oswego, Oregon, I can tell you one will come out ahead
as for travel to gun ranges, I can just walk out the front door, but I know I'm the exception
got a shipment of Buffalo Bore ammo in today for .357, just getting ready to test it in our Ruger and Smith - in the front yard

have you looked into Tri County Gun Club? I used to shoot there when I lived in L.O.

we live in Clark Co so we can shop in Oregon, and live in Washington with no state income tax
having moved up here from Lake Oswego, Oregon, I can tell you one will come out ahead
as for travel to gun ranges, I can just walk out the front door, but I know I'm the exception
got a shipment of Buffalo Bore ammo in today for .357, just getting ready to test it in our Ruger and Smith - in the front yard

have you looked into Tri County Gun Club? I used to shoot there when I lived in L.O.
Thanks for your ideas. However, I have already stated I don't like gun clubs.
I enjoy the solitude of being deep in the woods. I usually take a table or two, food, a cooler full of drinks, etc. and make a long and enjoyable day of it.
Also, I shoot long range. I enjoy different geography and wind conditions, as well as a change of scenery now and then.
I can & do shoot from my front porch at my Washington ranch, I even have a 75-yard shooting range set up near the cabin and I really like that. But on my ranch the hills & trees are so thick that even a 200-yard shot is not available.
I like the resources here in the Portland area where I live in West Linn.

My post was just a pissed off citizen complaining about stupid fuel prices. :):):):):):)

I can & do shoot from my front porch at my Washington ranch, I even have a 75-yard shooting range set up near the cabin and I really like that. But on my ranch the hills & trees are so thick that even a 200-yard shot is not available.
Sounds like everything I am looking for... Roughly where in NOWA is your ranch, how many acres is it, what does the cabin look like, how far off the road is the cabin, how close is the nearest neighbor, how far are you from the nearest "town", send a pic of your range, and how much do you want for it? Serious question...

If the price is right, and it's far enough off the beaten path and out of the sight of Leftist gun-grabbers, I might consider staying in WA instead of fleeing to ID...

If the price is right, and it's far enough off the beaten path and out of the sight of Leftist gun-grabbers, I might consider staying in WA instead of fleeing to ID...
IDK, Idaho is filling up just like Montana and parts of Wyoming...

OP states he hates gun clubs. Maybe a better phrase might be private property. Daryl Holland, famous shooter, tinkerer, etc has done that in Montana.
He built a private range for teaching people how to hunt long range. No his range won't please everybody including the OP but at least Daryl did it.

I guess the first step is owning enough land somewhere you can do what you want with it. Or have good friends who do :)
Oh and since this is a thread about gas prices, have some fuel storage to ride out the price swings at least a little bit.
Or distill your own fuel ;)

IDK, Idaho is filling up just like Montana and parts of Wyoming...

OP states he hates gun clubs. Maybe a better phrase might be private property. Daryl Holland, famous shooter, tinkerer, etc has done that in Montana.
He built a private range for teaching people how to hunt long range. No his range won't please everybody including the OP but at least Daryl did it.

I guess the first step is owning enough land somewhere you can do what you want with it. Or have good friends who do :)
That's why the current search is focused on 40+ acre parcels in the lower ID panhandle... Idaho County...

My income is fixed, but fairly high. 130K/year. But the gas still hurts.

As for the ranch. I might need it as a bug out facility since we are on the brink of WWIII. It's also very satisfying owning my own price of dirt & trees.
Like someone else already said, I don't know of ANYONE personally that PREFERS to live in Portland..I have a Cousin that owns a house and small lot in Tualitin, where he works for about 8 or 10 years. He can't stand it! But he planned ahead, Bought 120 acres of Riverfront property on the North Fork, Santiam River, close to Elkhorn Golf Course, Club. Unfortunately the Labor Day fires in September, 2020 burnt his retirement home and Rental home on the property to the ground, but spared his newly built 40x80 Pole barn shop. He got his insurance to pay out to Rebuild his Retirement home, that just got finished. Unfortunately that fire killed 8 people, and burned up all his standing old growth Douglas Fir Timber. He has a shooting range on that property, as I do all well. 25, 50 , and 100 yard ranges with steel gong hanging targets..But I also have 3 acres of Property in the Lapine area, with a pole barn, Mobile home, water, sewer, 200 amp electric service.But that vacation property is 155 miles from my Mid Valley property. So we didn't use it much since the fuel prices skyrocketed. I think everyone is feeling the pince, and hopefully we will be voting out the people responsible in November, and again bin 2024..Under Trump , I never paid more than $3.25 a gallon and my stocks and bonds were making great gains. Now they are in the toilet. That affects gun, ammo, fuel purchases. At age 66, I went back to work 3/4 time driving a School bus for trips, sporting events, mostly.. Mostly because of the fallout of the stock market, which I blame on the 11% inflation, and rising food, fuel, energy prices. Thank God I have a large supply or firewood, off my property, and a big wood stove..it could be worse, but unless there is Nuclear War, I don't see hoe things could get much worse. That is my 2¢ worth on the subject..

I was feeling your pain since I like to wander the woods and shoot at random spots until i saw you owned a ranch and had a yearly income of $130,000. I wish I had your problems.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top