JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We can all thank Creepy Joe.

Ok lets solve your issue.

Shooting in the woods multiple times a week. But not wanting to drive out multiple times per week. Easy. Stay out there. Why come home? You already have canceled comcast, so not like your missing your TV shows. Buck up, tent sure. RV ok if its in the budget. But just spend 3 days + out there if your retired and no job requirements.

Its free to camp in State forests unless the area is marked no or paid camping. Default is free. Like here in Southern Oregon this past June with my son. Great spot.

64E19A9B-E2F5-476C-AD29-12CB13F5A227.jpeg

Is this a troll post?

Fuel isn't going to hit $10+
If you don't like the 10-13mpg jeep, get something different
If you don't like 110-190 mile drives, change it.
130k is more than enough to not do any of these things.

I agree totally. Left $25k/month about 23 years ago because I hated the job!
Satisfy my curiosity, if you will, sir... What $300,000/year job did you leave in 1999 (which would be roughly equivalent to a $533,000/year job today)?
How bad does a job that pays well over a half a million dollars have to be such that one would leave it? o_O

Close to the woods, beaches, rivers, shopping, NO 10% Washington sales tax! I don't like ALL of Portland, but since I live in West Linn, Life is good.
You know what Portland doesn't have? Everything you are complaining about. To me, that means shooting isn't as important as you say it is to you.

Especially since right after the midterm voting is done, the Biden "Trading the Strategic Oil Reserves for Votes" program will be terminated, regardless of the outcome. Best. President. Ever.

I'm not driving out to the woods as often as I used to. 120 mile round trip to where I like to shoot. It's a pretty easy drive during weekdays if I leave early and don't stay too late. I drive an old Mercury Grand Marquis on these trips, it gets about 20+ mpg on the whole trip. We aren't driving anywhere as much as we used to. But I don't miss it, I've gotten my property cleaned up better than it's ever been over the course of the past couple of years. I've cleared brush out of areas that I never even could get into.

One of my shooting places is out near Darrington, yeah, some of you guys know where this is. Rivers End shooting pit, 435th Pit, whatever. I can drive my old Mercury in and out of there taking the long way around. So far, anyway. Don't need a Jeep or pickup.

Gasoline prices. It's frustrating to know that my pal in New Mexico pays a couple of dollars less per gallon that we do. But gasoline markets around the country are in cells. Some marketing areas are close to where oil is pumped and refined. Like SE New Mexico, where my pal lives. And lots of parts of the country are served by big pipelines that can move crude oil around.

On the west coast, there are basically two marketing areas or cells. WA / OR, and CA. They are different but share some common circumstances. Washington state has five refineries. Some of the oil they get is from Alaska, some from Alberta in Canada, and now some is coming in by rail from the Bakken. Both of these sources have transporation costs that drive up the retail price, especially the crude oil from Alaska that must take a long sea voyage to get here. There are no pipelines that connect Washington to the rest of the US. At one time, it was thought that when Alaska oil came to Wash., a pipeline would be built to markets in the east. But then Sen. Warren Magnusson had a stipulation attached to the Marine Mammals Protection Act (1977) that no new oil discharge facilities would be built east of Port Angeles. That killed any pipeline that could now be used to bring oil to Wash. from points east.

Oregon has no major oil refineries, so it is locked into the Washington oil refining and sales market.

High industry taxes in Wash. state contribute to high costs of petroleum products. I'm not talking about taxes per gallon at retail. I'm referring to things like B&O tax, which is close to $100 million a year; hazardous substances tax which is well over $100 mil. a year; high property taxes, probably $35 mil. or more per year, and a bunch of lesser taxes. These are all taxes that the refiners pay before they ship gallon number one. They have to figure these into the wholesale price.

California is the other west cost marketing cell, they still get a bit oil from Alaska but most from many places overseas which have high transportation costs, in addition to dwindling in-state supplies. They have high taxes and high regulatory costs, like Wash.-Ore. And, they don't have any crude oil pipelines coming in from elsewhere in the US. They have natural gas pipelines from Texas, and there are some pipelines for transporting refined product here and there, but no major supply of in-bound crude oil. California still has large crude oil reserves, but for political reasons, most oil now refined there comes from out of state. Same reason chances of any pipelines being built are slim. The current political machine in Calif. is bent on going all electric, which doesn't bode well for petroleum markets. That appears to be another commonality that Wash. shares with Calif.

I've been peering into my murky crystal ball, trying to figure out what retail fossil fuel prices will do when the private vehicle fleet is largely converted to electric. How will supply and demand work? Will gasoline be cheaper because demand is significantly reduced? Oh no, that will be too good to be true. Gasoline at that point will become a "specialty product," with demand low enough that retail stations will be far fewer and will be able to name their price.

Last Edited:
Fuel prices in the MIDDLE of the country = north/south AND in some East Coast states even at COSTCO fuel pumps for a SAME store name comparison are MUCH, much LESS than some of the western states and even LESS than Montana.

I am hearing this from some truck driver friends and from some other people who LIVE in those areas and who drive a LOT. I have heard it from retired people and not just from people who are still working.

Those LOWER prices are not just for the last week in those areas.

And some of the fuel prices that are LOWER in cost are even in some areas where there have been refinery fires and SHUT DOWNS for a time frame too.

Cate

Side note:

OBAMA did get special permission - permits to put in EXTRA fuel tanks and at a higher capacity for each one to be put on his MARTHA VINEYARD'S ESTATE - land. PROPANE TANKS.

He did apply for this special deal and he GOT IT. Go figure!

LOOK it up and there are real and true news about HIM and his special rights.

Other citizens who may have wanted and MIGHT (?) have been able to afford (?!?) even one extra tank at a smaller size were NOT allowed to do this on MV Island.

He and the rest of them in BOTH parties are such liars and HYPOCRITES!

He and the rest of them like to gaslight us as the old saying goes!

Cate

Oh yes, 3 TANKS and not just 1 huge tank. What a JOKE!

IF Obama and the rest of their ILK on the LEFT and on the RIGHT care so much about SAVING FUEL and being GREEN - why the HECK do they need and want HOMES and estates ALL OVER THE USA and the world?!

And WHY do they fly in their special jets and do tons of other crapola? Because they CAN and we are paying for it, their SS protection, special fencing/guard houses ON all (?) or on MOST (?) of THOSE PROPERTIES and TONS more!

There are MANY other links online about Obama's estate on MV and his extra fuel tanks. I took OFF the really long link that I had on here.

Last Edited:
I want to die where I'm at. You will understand this wisdom as you become a senior citizen.
I don't consider myself a senior citizen (you're only as old as you think), but I'm the polar opposite. With freedom (no clock to punch and an empty nest) comes the ability to go out and see all the things you've yet to have a chance to, rediscover your past joys, all at your own pace, and having lived long.... you devlop a better understanding of where you "really" want to be when it's time to cash in your chips.

Stagnation is a buzz kill. :s0155:

I have A very large financial investment in my firearms, tens of thousands of dollars. I have carefully stashed a huge supply of ammo & reloading components also.

I used to drive from Portland to the State and Federal Forest two to three time a week to target shoot. I am not fond of local shooting ranges. I like being alone in the woods. Furthermore, I shoot out to 1.5 miles sometimes - good luck finding that kind of shooting range!

I drive a 13mpg jeep. I am deeply saddened because the current price of gas has ruined my favorite retirement pastime! Round trip to the woods usually requires 110 to 190 miles of driving, sometimes more because I simply like driving in the backwoods. I need my jeep because I carry a lot of equipment. An economy vehicle just will not cut it.

WHO can afford these insane gas prices? And I read that gas is going to go up to possibly 10 to 12+ per gallon.

Being retired, I have limited income. My love of shooting was something I looked forward to. Gas prices have ruined my life! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Look at the bright side.. after Russia nukes us it'll take your mind off of your horribly untenable situation.

Did I mention I'm retired? I don't think I could survive another move in my life. There have been too many already. I want to die where I'm at. You will understand this wisdom as you become a senior citizen.
One thing I have learned is that a man can travel 10,000 miles and still be in the same place.
Define 'senior citizen'. I'm 62 and would make that move in a heartbeat if it got me out of Portland. Besides, if you're planning to use 'the ranch' as a refuge from a war when will it be easier to get there, now or after the fighting has started? If you think gas is high now just wait 'till a war breaks out!

I have A very large financial investment in my firearms, tens of thousands of dollars. I have carefully stashed a huge supply of ammo & reloading components also.

I used to drive from Portland to the State and Federal Forest two to three time a week to target shoot. I am not fond of local shooting ranges. I like being alone in the woods. Furthermore, I shoot out to 1.5 miles sometimes - good luck finding that kind of shooting range!

I drive a 13mpg jeep. I am deeply saddened because the current price of gas has ruined my favorite retirement pastime! Round trip to the woods usually requires 110 to 190 miles of driving, sometimes more because I simply like driving in the backwoods. I need my jeep because I carry a lot of equipment. An economy vehicle just will not cut it.

WHO can afford these insane gas prices? And I read that gas is going to go up to possibly 10 to 12+ per gallon.

Being retired, I have limited income. My love of shooting was something I looked forward to. Gas prices have ruined my life! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Maybe partner up with another shooter and split expenses ?

I think we can all agree with your sentiment, costs are rising quickly on many things. The rest of the things you've said are either bad bait, or you need to take a step back and reevaluate yourself.

I am not fond of local shooting ranges.
I think you can overcome your dislike for shooting ranges. Punching holes in paper gets boring.
I like to shoot rifle and pistol matches at the local clubs. I belong to 3 gun clubs plus I shoot matches at
TCGC, DRRC and ERGC. You don't have to be a member to compete. I have met so many interesting shooters
over the past 30 years. Some real characters. I have seen amazing scores from some
of the top shooters in the nation. I find it interesting how well some of the best shooters can do.
My scores have improved learning from more skilled and experienced competitors. The most honest,
down to earth group of guys and gals.
1664980863438.png
1664980911192.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR