JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have A very large financial investment in my firearms, tens of thousands of dollars. I have carefully stashed a huge supply of ammo & reloading components also.

I used to drive from Portland to the State and Federal Forest two to three time a week to target shoot. I am not fond of local shooting ranges. I like being alone in the woods. Furthermore, I shoot out to 1.5 miles sometimes - good luck finding that kind of shooting range!

I drive a 13mpg jeep. I am deeply saddened because the current price of gas has ruined my favorite retirement pastime! Round trip to the woods usually requires 110 to 190 miles of driving, sometimes more because I simply like driving in the backwoods. I need my jeep because I carry a lot of equipment. An economy vehicle just will not cut it.

WHO can afford these insane gas prices? And I read that gas is going to go up to possibly 10 to 12+ per gallon.

Being retired, I have limited income. My love of shooting was something I looked forward to. Gas prices have ruined my life! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have A very large financial investment in my firearms, tens of thousands of dollars. I have carefully stashed a huge supply of ammo & reloading components also.

I used to drive from Portland to the State and Federal Forest two to three time a week to target shoot. I am not fond of local shooting ranges. I like being alone in the woods. Furthermore, I shoot out to 1.5 miles sometimes - good luck finding that kind of shooting range!

I drive a 13mpg jeep. I am deeply saddened because the current price of gas has ruined my favorite retirement pastime! Round trip to the woods usually requires 110 to 190 miles of driving, sometimes more because I simply like driving in the backwoods. I need my jeep because I carry a lot of equipment. An economy vehicle just will not cut it.

WHO can afford these insane gas prices? And I read that gas is going to go up to possibly 10 to 12+ per gallon.

Being retired, I have limited income. My love of shooting was something I looked forward to. Gas prices have ruined my life! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Sorry to hear that bud I feel your pain it is getting ridiculous I just don't understand how they can sell me gas at $4.00 a gallon then a week later it's $5.89? Whatever bull crap that the media is feeding these people I ain't buying! I don't understand how there isn't a law set in place that a certain good cannot go up past a certain percentage in a certain amount of time. Meaning I shouldnt be able to up your gas price in such a sort time span. It should happen Incrementally. The problem is once people realized that they can overcharge for gas and people will buy it because we need to get to work then morality goes out the window and people are charging are arm and a leg for what use to be $3 a gallon. Truly ridiculous that it is almost twice as much.

I feel your pain OP.

Especially when I talk to friends in TX/FL and hear they are paying low $3 or high $2 a gallon. Even someone in NJ i know is paying mid $3.

I check gas buddy daily and over the last week i've watched as oregon walked right back up to $5. The cheapest in my area Costco is $5.15

People have shown tweets with pics out of CA showing $6+

I feel your pain OP.

Especially when I talk to friends in TX/FL and hear they are paying low $3 or high $2 a gallon. Even someone in NJ i know is paying mid $3.

I check gas buddy daily and over the last week i've watched as oregon walked right back up to $5. The cheapest in my area Costco is $5.15

Gas buddy is a good resource, I use it also, But still!

A few things I would consider...
Canceling any monthly service subscriptions that you value less than your joy of target shooting.
Staying out for a 2 or 3 day course of target shooting before returning home...also saves tires and lessens wear and tear.
Cut use of other highly taxed products..ie. Tobacco, Alcohol, etc.

A few things I would consider...
Canceling any monthly service subscriptions that you value less than your joy of target shooting.
Staying out for a 2 or 3 day course of target shooting before returning home...also saves tires and lessens wear and tear.
Cut use of other highly taxed products..ie. Tobacco, Alcohol, etc.
I don't drink, don't smoke, cancelled even comcast.
Your best idea is spending two or three days out in the woods - I have started doing that!

Me personally if your on a fixed income I would sell the ranch in Washington and enjoy retirement!
My income is fixed, but fairly high. 130K/year. But the gas still hurts.

As for the ranch. I might need it as a bug out facility since we are on the brink of WWIII. It's also very satisfying owning my own price of dirt & trees.

As for the ranch. I might need it as a bug out facility since we are on the brink of WWIII. It's also very satisfying owning my own price of dirt & trees.
Qwitcherbubblegumin. Yer not bad off.
Who am I kiddin....I fix stuff, and I bubblegum...and I got really long hours too.
Carry on!

Joe

I've felt the fuel crunch as well... and fully appreciate the opinions about shooting in the wilds vs ranges. I'm exclusively a backwood shooter. I go out less frequently now, but when I do I nearly always will make it at least an overnighter/2-day trip... but 3days is preferrable. I find I actually enjoy it more spreading out shooting sessions and mixing in some of my other favorite activities. Practicing bush craft skills, outdoor cookin, foraging or just boot tromping around and enjoying the fresh air and scenery.

I do quite a bit of boondocking with a smaller trailer, but inbetween just hammock camping is great for just a quickie 2 or 3 day shooting get-a-way. Making the most out of the cost per mile fuel debacle.

If a certain contingent of politicians gets their way, these types of prices will be permanent. They would tell you to buy an EV jeep.

First you said this:
Being retired, I have limited income.
Then you said this...

At $130k/year, retired, a ranch in NOWA, and (I would guess) no kids to take care of, I would follow @red442joe's advice and qwitcherbiitchin' and just enjoy the life you have. I'd hardly call a fixed income of $130k/year "limited", unless your plans include taking a few rides to LEO aboard SpaceX, Blue Origin, or sump'n... :rolleyes:

While I make a fair amount more than you right now, I'm 62 and close to my own retirement, but I still gotta put a coupla kids through college (no financial aid nor student loan forgiveness in my income bracket). So a lot of money is flowing out of my coffers monthly keeping a young adult in college, with another one headed there next fall to begin the 4-year process. And I know that my income in retirement will now be considerably less than yours, given the ~$90,000 (and counting) of 401k that's vaporized so far this year thanks to Brandon's idiotic policies. All of that, and I'm still trying to find my own piece of dirt and trees in Idaho. You're way ahead of 95% of everyone else, so suck it up, buttercup! :D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top