JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in Washington State and want to legally own a Full Auto. Can this be done? Note the word (and intent of) "Legally Own".

Current situation: The NFA Items that I already own (4 suppressors) are owned through my Washington Corporation.

Question #1: Can I purchase a "Sear Gun" (with RDIAS) in Oregon through my Washington Corporation? Example: AR-15 converted to Full Auto with a RDIAS. If Yes proceed to Question #2. If not, I would then incorporate in Oregon to purchase the "Sear Gun".

Question #2: After I purchase the "Sear Gun", can I leave the RDIAS and the full auto bolt in Oregon and legally bring the rest of the AR-15 back home with me to Washington? I could then install the semi auto sear back in it along with a semi-auto bolt and have an AR-15 again while in Washington.

What do you think? Would this work and still be legal?

Thanks for the reply but can you expain further?

1. The full auto portion (RDIAS and Bolt Carrier) would stay in Oregon so this should be OK right?

2. The only thing I would be bringing back to Washington would be the Semi-Auto AR-15.

Just trying to get a grasp on this and how it works.

Thanks for the reply but can you expain further?

1. The full auto portion (RDIAS and Bolt Carrier) would stay in Oregon so this should be OK right?

2. The only thing I would be bringing back to Washington would be the Semi-Auto AR-15.

Just trying to get a grasp on this and how it works.

If it is registered as an MG then it is illegal. There is not other words to convey that fact.

MGs are legal in free states like Oregon. You can own one in Oregon. Take it to Washington and you are going to jail.

RDIAS is a MG. Must stay out of WA.

If you have the $10,000 for an RDIAS, buy one and keep it in OR. Then you can take your semi-auto AR down to OR and use it.

If it is registered as an MG then it is illegal. There is not other words to convey that fact.

MGs are legal in free states like Oregon. You can own one in Oregon. Take it to Washington and you are going to jail.

RDIAS is a MG. Must stay out of WA.

If you have the $10,000 for an RDIAS, buy one and keep it in OR. Then you can take your semi-auto AR down to OR and use it.

Yup, that is what I was planning on doing. Buying a "Sear Gun", keeping the RDIAS and the Bolt carrier in Oregon and bringing the Semi-Auto AR-15 home with me to Washington.

Last question. Can I buy my "Sear Gun" in Oregon through my Washington Corporation (and keeping the MG part of it strictly in Oregon)? Or do I need to form a Oregon Corporation?

I travel back and forth between Washington and Oregon on a regular basis so it would be no big deal to keep the MG part down there.

Yup, that is what I was planning on doing. Buying a "Sear Gun", keeping the RDIAS and the Bolt carrier in Oregon and bringing the Semi-Auto AR-15 home with me to Washington.

Last question. Can I buy my "Sear Gun" in Oregon through my Washington Corporation (and keeping the MG part of it strictly in Oregon)? Or do I need to form a Oregon Corporation?

I travel back and forth between Washington and Oregon on a regular basis so it would be no big deal to keep the MG part down there.

I'm not sure how that would work.
I don't know if they will approve a Form 4 in a ban state even with out-of-state storage.
I'm sure you will need to form an OR trust or corp.

you will find that in order to be able to purchase a RDIAS, the OP would need to
form an alien corp doing business in OR based on his WA corp entity.

then, all the other stuff cocktail said would need to be adhered to rigidly.

The only real way to answer this question is to call the ATF and ask. The form 4 is probably going to get denied because you are in a ban state. But the only way to know is to ask. I would incorporate in Oregon first though.

I think the OP is looking to buy something and own it.

Transferables are more of an investment.

Exactly!!!

With a limited supply, I can't think of a better investment than pre '86 NFA MG's. The only way to loose on this type of investment would be if the Federal Government allows an "amnesty" period and I don't see that happening.

if you set up a corporation in oregon, the weapon is registered to and owned by the oregon entity. where YOU live doesn't matter the least bit, at that point. an entity is an entity, period. just don't bring it into WA, and you'll have to have a way to secure the weapon out of another's possession in oregon. you cannot "leave" it with a friend or family, nor store it in their house.

I was planning on leaving the RDIAS and the MG bolt in a safe deposit box at my bank in Portland, Oregon. Just need to figure out which branch I want to leave it at.

That way I can bring my AR's back home with me.

This is the only solution I can think of to own a MG while still a Washington resident.

I was planning on leaving the RDIAS and the MG bolt in a safe deposit box at my bank in Portland, Oregon. Just need to figure out which branch I want to leave it at.

That way I can bring my AR's back home with me.

This is the only solution I can think of to own a MG while still a Washington resident.

you're gonna need to leave more than that out.. an M16 FCG is all considered "machinegun." the bolt carrier group actually isn't.

if you set up a corporation in oregon, the weapon is registered to and owned by the oregon entity. where YOU live doesn't matter the least bit, at that point. an entity is an entity, period. just don't bring it into WA, and you'll have to have a way to secure the weapon out of another's possession in oregon. you cannot "leave" it with a friend or family, nor store it in their house.

Although this is true, a managing member must be responsible for the weapon. So where the managing member lives does matter. You are not supposed to let the gun out of your possession. You cannot just hand a machine gun to anyone and let them take it out without you. A corporate member would need to be in possession of it. So unless your bank is a member of your corporation you can not leave it there. Same goes for leaving it with a friend in Oregon. Unless they are Managing members, but then they would need to be the responsible person for it and they would need to fill out the form 4.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top