JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So Im Oregon resident. If I sell a washington state resident a rifle and transfer it through a OR FFL we should be good to avoid taxes?

There is NO legal way to avoid the tax............................. See post 21 above. If a firearm (long gun) is transferred in OR no taxes will be collected. The WA buyer is still legally required to pay tax just like any other item purchased out of state.

The fact the buyer does or does not choose to pay the tax, just like most people do not on out of state purchases, does not change the legality of it.

Another common tactic to decrease owed taxes in my state on titled items is to do a BOS with a lower price then what it is actually sold for. Say you buy a used car for $5000, it is not uncommon to see a BOS for 1/2-2/3 that amount with some disclaimer like "as is, in need of repair". Still does not make it legal and it IS a form of tax evasion. Does that make you a bad person or morally wrong, guess it depends on who you ask........

ok thanks for clearing that up guess sucks to live in Washington...no sales there for me
As the seller in Oregon it is not your responsibility to track and pay for sales taxes so it should not effect your choice to sell or not to WA residents. NWCID is correct, technically WA residents are responsible for paying sales tax to WA state on everything they purchase out of state in OR. This includes appliances, tvs, firearms, cars, etc. (anything that would be taxed if sold in WA) With the exception of items that are registered in WA (such as automobiles) it's pretty much unenforceable though.

Wondering what the laws are when buying a gun out of state. Can I use a FFL in Oregon when purchasing an ar15 from a private party?

Use an FFL when buying long guns across state lines.. I know its a very tricky subject and you will hear conflicting answers, but to save yourself the headache, it is worth just going through the FFL and many are experienced in Portland with interstate OR/WA transactions. You can find an FFL in Oregon to do the FFL transfer for like $15 and no sales tax!

However, if you are in Oregon you may also take advantage of the fact there is no sales tax on long guns you purchase at the store and a WA resident can walk into any gun store in Oregon and take home a long gun.

I know Arizona, Nevada, and Utah can sell you arms as long as you pass that states back ground check, but I do not know if it has to be shipped to an ffl in your state! In the case of Az. I made a purchase in person from an FFL dealer and after passing, was sent on my merry way gun in hand! I believe Oregon, Washington, and Idaho all except each others transfers as long as the check is done in the state you purchase it in!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top