JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got my CHL through Multnomah County. They are the slowest county in the state to issue, but you will get it (barring disqualifiers in the background check). It varies, but mine took 8 or 9 weeks to get, as I recall. Be patient or move, either way you'll get it.

I'm good; thanks everyone for chiming in. My wife and I just moved here a few months ago, and I took the class last night at MKTactical. Good class! Since we recently moved in, I'm still looking for two references for the Multnomah county application.

I'm good; thanks everyone for chiming in. My wife and I just moved here a few months ago, and I took the class last night at MKTactical. Good class! Since we recently moved in, I'm still looking for two references for the Multnomah county application.

They never even called my two references. I think they just want to see if you have at least two friends in the world. :rolleyes:

I have class on Wednesday.

Nothing wrong with taking the class, but did you have to? My first CHL was from Multnomah County. Showed them an MOS certificate and a description showing them that handgun training was part of the curriculum, and I never had to take the class.

@WAYNO, probably not, but a lot of my training was back in the early 90's. Plus I got the UT license as well, which adds WA and a buttload of other states. It's ironic I'll be able to carry in WA and UT and other states, but not OR for a while.

@Koda... character refs.jpg

I'm dead in the water until I get those. Otherwise, I'm ready to go to the sheriff's office.

Last Edited:
My Multnomah county CHL experience

If I recall correctly, You make an appointment, of which there was only one per month, at something like 8:00am on the third Thursday. You will be greeted by a heavy set woman of color behind scratched lexan, with a look on her face like you just waved feces under her nose. I assume she was fired by the DMV for having a bad attitude. She will buzz you in when you explain you are there for your CHL. Questions provoke a blank stare rather than verbal response.

Once admitted to the CHL room, along with everyone else who wanted a CHL that month, you will wait while they randomly call you up. It took until about lunch time for me. Eventually you are processed, which included fingerprinting, and then turned loose on the world to wait several weeks for your permit to come in the mail.

I moved to Clackamas county

When I went to renew (in Clackamas), I just walked into the public range during my lunch hour (I assumed) to be told when to come back to apply. I walked down to the CHL office and found the guy who runs it. He was eating his lunch, and the person who handled appointments was out to lunch. I assumed I would have to come back to make the appointment. As it turns out, the guy put his lunch away, and processed me right there and then. We had a pleasant conversation while he worked, and then handed me my permit with a smile.

I was floored. I have never seen anything goverment work so well, or be a pleasant experience. Props to Clackamas. FU to Multnomah. I moved the last year of the Multnomah county ITax. Don't get me started on that. FU again.

I do enjoy that the permit cancels out all of the BS laws Multnomah county has passed, although god forbid you need to use a gun. It seems like MC has decided any use of a gun is a crime, and self defense is not justified.

Last Edited:
My first two Moldnomah County CHLs went fine though I had to get paper and ink fingerprints done commercially. My most recent renew in the new location was even smoother. And I think they're doing electronic fingerprints there now, too. Call and ask - or maybe it's on their website.

I'm retiring in a couple weeks and moving to Washington County. Does anyone know? Will I be required to get a new CHL when I change my address even though I still have a couple years left on the old one?

I'm retiring in a couple weeks and moving to Washington County. Does anyone know? Will I be required to get a new CHL when I change my address even though I still have a couple years left on the old one?

yes you will. But if I recall its a address transfer not like a new applicant.

yes you will. But if I recall its a address transfer not like a new applicant.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Gotta say honestly, it was never bad getting one in Multco. Hope that holds true for everyone here. Most Portland douchebags seem to infest downtown and close-in SE, and have little/nothing to do with CHLs as far as I can tell.

"never bad" is relative. The process might be easy but Im not happy about needing "references" to get a permission slip to exercise your rights....

My Multnomah county CHL experience

If I recall correctly, You make an appointment, of which there was only one per month, at something like 8:00am on the third Thursday. You will be greeted by a heavy set woman of color behind scratched lexan, with a look on her face like you just waved feces under her nose. I assume she was fired by the DMV for having a bad attitude. She will buzz you in when you explain you are there for your CHL. Questions provoke a blank stare rather than verbal response.

Once admitted to the CHL room, along with everyone else who wanted a CHL that month, you will wait while they randomly call you up. It took until about lunch time for me. Eventually you are processed, which included fingerprinting, and then turned loose on the world to wait several weeks for your permit to come in the mail.

I moved to Clackamas county

When I went to renew (in Clackamas), I just walked into the public range during my lunch hour (I assumed) to be told when to come back to apply. I walked down to the CHL office and found the guy who runs it. He was eating his lunch, and the person who handled appointments was out to lunch. I assumed I would have to come back to make the appointment. As it turns out, the guy put his lunch away, and processed me right there and then. We had a pleasant conversation while he worked, and then handed me my permit with a smile.

I was floored. I have never seen anything goverment work so well, or be a pleasant experience. Props to Clackamas. FU to Multnomah. I moved the last year of the Multnomah county ITax. Don't get me started on that. FU again.

I do enjoy that the permit cancels out all of the BS laws Multnomah county has passed, although god forbid you need to use a gun. It seems like MC has decided any use of a gun is a crime, and self defense is not justified.
just curious what laws besides the basics do our chl cancel out? not educated on that subject.

yeah I knew that one :) I just thought there was something I was missing

well thats actually a pretty big one though....

Imagine if you didn't own a car and wanted to walk or bus to the range to practice.... or walk home from the gun store with a new purchase.

You also cant have pre-loaded mags and cylinders without your CHL on you... even if you don't have the gun with you. o_O

yes, you have a good point, but even if the differences are minor they are not necessarily insignificant. Just my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top