JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
to much safety?
I am often asked why my kids have guns in their rooms. Is it really safe to allow an eight year old girl to have a .223, .22, and 20 gauge at her disposal? I simply say that she has never expressed an interest in them BECAUSE she has them. They are posters on the wall, a stuffed animal on the shelf. A bike, if you will, that she knows how to ride, and what happens if she falls off. When I say grab a gun she generally goes for one of mine for me and even forgets her own until I remind that she will need one too if she is to blow up milk jugs with me (a game we play with our empty ones). My older daughter (12 now), if told we’re going hunting, grabs her bow till I tell her we are ground hogging in an open field.

I think today we place too much emphasis on the wrong things. We stress safety so much that it reminds others that guns can kill. However, are you the same way with a kitchen knife, or a hammer, or even a car? No, we know they can be used the wrong way, and just don’t. Safety with these items is unconscious. We simply do it. That is how it should be. You should not need to stress it to the point that others are afraid of them. There is enough out there doing that right now.

The more you stress how dangerous something is, the more dangerous it is perceived to be. And then it becomes truth. Self fulfilling prophecy is a common theme in life. If you think it is, then it is. It is true no matter how you deny it that ANYTHING can be as dangerous as a gun if you make it so.

We always preach that guns don’t kill, people kill. Truth has a certain ring to it. Yet, we ourselves treat a weapon like it CAN hurt someone. What is a gun in reality? It is metal and plastic and wood. Nothing more. It only becomes more if we make it so. If we simply treat it like the bike we rode as a child then is it really so different?

Think of it this way. When Ronnie (my oldest and best friend) and I were hunting squirrels, we approached it like a military operation against the little tree rats. Fitting that we both became Marines, I guess. At times we would cross in front of one another as we crept through the woods. Amazingly and without thought, the other would dip or raise his muzzle even if it already was. Just like you slow down for the guy in front of you while riding. When we handed the rifles to each other (generally Ronnie to me since I couldn’t get a squirrel to save my life back then) so the other could have his hands, the action was open. Again this is done without thought, just put the foot down as you stop the bike.

I am teaching my kids to be like this. I don’t remind them to be safe with a weapon anymore than I do with their bikes. I watch and stay in a position to stop anything that shouldn’t happen, just like when I taught them to ride. I will do so until I am 100% sure they are as safe as me, just like them riding their bikes. I did not lock up their bikes unless they gave me a reason to (grounded for not cleaning I think was the last reason both guns and bikes were taken). I reinforce through my actions the very skills and habits I want them to have. But I don’t think about the last part until I am reminded because my daughter hands me my AR with the bolt still closed and I refuse silently to take it. This way they know it is natural to be safe. As it needs to be, as it has to be.

If you need to be reminded, Or if you need to think about it, you are too new to shooting and should be taught again.

This is well said. Sadly too few people discipline children anymore which leaves society the way it has become, a bunch of coddled, do nothing wrong punks! Sounds like you are doing it the right way. Keep up the good work!

This is well said. Sadly too few people discipline children anymore which leaves society the way it has become, a bunch of coddled, do nothing wrong punks! Sounds like you are doing it the right way. Keep up the good work!

I had a rule Dad don't play with your toys unless we are playing together. You can't play with dads toys unless we are playing together. Worked for me but then again i spanked my kids when they screwed up.

gehrheart...I was much the same way my my kids...watching my son shoot in competition, handling firearms like other kids do with balls and such is the unexpected payoff from such an approach..Keep up the good work..

W44

It was truly a wise man or woman that wrote this! This is how America used to be. fathers taught kids these basic principles at a very young age to help support the family food "budget". It is a sad state that America has become where this is not the standard of living. Having your own firearm was a right of passage and the rule rather than the all too often exception.
My kids have grown up like this with me, and have grown to love the sport! If only the rest of the nation would wake up...

well put my daughter is now 3 months old and i cant wait to get her shooting. i did put a colt in her hand when she was sleeping, first day we brought her home.just sizing it up.:D

I was raised just this way. When I was 8 or so I was allowed to take the pellet gun by myself.

I would set up down by the barn on a mound and snipe at the rats.

ah memories.

In a couple of years I will be taking my twins out....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top