JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

I know this is a lamo question, but are we dead in the water as far as reloading is concerned? I mean realistically, what good is any amount of reloading equipment or component stock pile unless you can get them all? I just ordered a press to get back into reloading, but there are no small pistol primers on the planet. I feel like I just wasted a wad (wife isn't going to lik ethis at all):(. Does anyone have hope that this will pass and sometime in the future primers will once again be available?

Dave

You might want to consider a few different bullet/powder combinations for whatever calibers you load for in the event a powder you don't normally use shows up on the shelf. That thinking saved me in 08-09. Same with bullets. Primers are primers however, Buy what you can find.

Funny you say there "are no primers on the planet", I found some at my local gun club on Monday and even at a reasonable price.

Just be patient. Some of us have been through this before. The last "panic" was even worse as it came during a huge demand by the Government for ammo which severely limited primer availability. The Government Contracts took priority.

It's going to take some time to refill the pipeline but it's happening already. For those that never bothered to listen before, maybe the advice to "buy in bulk" means a little more now. I have found it very beneficial to order online and never leave any unused space in that Hazmat Package. Room for another pound or two, I just add another box of primers or a couple pounds of powder.

if u can order enuff primers to offset the hazmat,order online and wiat a week or two.,I"m reading LOTS of chatter online about people getting primers that way.It's either that or spend a ton of gas money looking and looking and looking in the stores.
I believe Powder Valley will ship powder and primers together which makes ordering easier.Order and wait,they'll show up
also,check the classifieds on this board several times a day,they show up here too.

You could always do an internet group buy on primers and powder. That way you spread out the shipping and haz mat fees.

But, finding a group of "friends" can sometimes be a problem. Some folks might commit but when the day comes, they back out. So, my suggestion would be to collect in advance. OR......just buy the entire lot and sell off the extra. Making a little profit for yourself is your payment for the headache.

BTW, the last time I did a buy......50,0000 primers was the limit for one haz mat fee.

Another time, it was 4 - 8lb jugs of powder. But, I've heard that some places will go with 6 - 8lb jugs. It's usually about the size of the box (for the seller).

But whatever......just ask the seller what they will send you on one haz mat fee.

As for bullets.........think about buying the case. One place has .224" bullets in 5,000 count cases. But, they'll pay for shipping so that'll save you a few dollars. I buy my sm. caliber lead bullets in 3,000 count shipments because it'll ship in one USPS flate rate box.

Aloha, Mark

For those that never bothered to listen before, maybe the advice to "buy in bulk" means a little more now.

hahaha,I doubt it.

I just buy what I find. Bought pwder and lots of bullets at the show last weekend. Sold a buddy on buying some 44mag brass so he'd have it for the future.

Hey even if you don't reload,it's wise to pick up your brass. Someone will trade you for it.
Then buy any primers you see,for trading for the primers you need. Buy powder you find for the same reason..
Piece work yourself into a stock pile

I'm really figuring out I may need to start casting my own bullets,some day.
And lead is scarce.

You just have to do like the rest of us and make the stops on the way around town.

Piece work yourself into a stock pile
Yup - good advice. AND don't get stuck on one particular 'pet' load. Always buy components outside of favorites if you find good deals. Find other powders that will equate your common loads and pick them up when you find them. Try to combine components. 9mm bullets can be used for .38/.357 (but not the reverse). Try loading a few for your .38 or .357 and see if they shoot as accurately. I load 9mm bullets in .38 Special for my Taurus 605 and I notice no difference in accuracy over the .357 size bullet. Actually some .38/.357 bullets measure .356, same as 9mm.

I believe Powder Valley will ship powder and primers together which makes ordering easier.Order and wait,they'll show up
also,check the classifieds on this board several times a day,they show up here too.

Powder Valley will definitely ship powder and primers in the same hazmat package. The only ones that won't are those like Midway that have to ship from two different sources.

Powder Valley will also work with the customer to insure that all the hazmat items will fit in the box so you don't end up in two packages. Great people to work with but don't expect anything fast from them right now. They've got so many orders they're maxing out their shipping ability. Also, no backorders for now. If you see it on the site, order it and wait. If not, no backorders as they are honest about not knowing when they'll see the product.

There is a bright-side to this sir,

You get to go through this now; and you may have two or three more similar situations to deal with. I'm in my mid 50's and only going into my 2nd year of reloading; so I may not even be around for the next pompous dictator to be elected (hopefully).

I've been stockpiling for 4 years, & I had no idea it would be this bad; I spent my first year establishing "pet-loads" when I should have been trying all kinds of combos. Even though I currently have enough "pet-load" components, I'm unable to order for future projects.

So now I'm digging into different combos and enjoying it.

BTW, I'm on the tail end of the baby-boomer generation, and while I'm forever grateful for the Viet-Nam vets who turned me into a career soldier, the rest of the "doors" have been slamming shut in my face through out my entire life!

So, while I'm accustomed to missing the booms (stock market, real estate, housing, and tech), nothing prepared me to see our local sporting goods sections resembling the shelves in a place like former East Germany. Now days, the stores who are offering back orders will get my future business.

This is good for us to experience sir; the best of us will come out of this stronger and better prepared than ever!

I suspect primers, powder and bullets will be available again this summer, and will probably be available in quantity at good prices by fall, and the prices will probably be dirt cheap next year.

Here's the thing... back in 1992-1994 people were buying every pound of powder, primer or bullet they could lay hands on, the companies that make this stuff expanded... hired people ran more shifts, and cranked out product like there was no tomorrow. Once the panic subsided everyone had all the powder, primers and bullets they ever could have wanted so buying stopped, and all these companies who were running multiple shifts were stuck with tons of product no one wanted.

As a consequence of this, now whenever there is a run on product, they don't add capacity, they just march on like it was another day because they would rather have an excess of demand than an excess of supply.

Also, for those who have "never seen it like this". I've been a reloader for over 20 years (started when I was 12, now 34), this is at least the 4th "run" on components I've seen, and nothing about this surprises or alarms me, it just annoys me. Components will be available when people stop buying up everything they can lay hands on for insane prices.

Yes, yes it was. The first panic hit when he got elected, and then everyone went ape when the AWB passed, he also signed an EO banning sale of "dangerous military ammo" to civvies. The thought process being 5.56 ammo will blow up a .223!

Back in 2005-2007 there was a mini version of what's going on now... and then there was 2008 where everyone got retarded, it was late 2009 before supply started to come back.

Article on 2005 shortage: US Ammo Shortage: GD Now A Second Source Prime as it Delivers Guns, Ammo

Yes, yes it was. The first panic hit when he got elected, and then everyone went ape when the AWB passed, he also signed an EO banning sale of "dangerous military ammo" to civvies. The thought process being 5.56 ammo will blow up a .223!

Back in 2005-2007 there was a mini version of what's going on now... and then there was 2008 where everyone got retarded, it was late 2009 before supply started to come back.

Article on 2005 shortage: US Ammo Shortage: GD Now A Second Source Prime as it Delivers Guns, Ammo

I think he signed the AWB with that girl under his desk...:s0154:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top