JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hes got good lessons but his delivery is a bit rough. I agree with all of his 4 lessons but he needs to tone down his acidic personality.

Rough? Acidic? My personal take is the safety rules are too important to critique on their delivery. The guys at OFA are adjunct instructors with TR and you can tell they have spent a lot of time there. The delivery of safety rules and philosophy channels Clint Smith almost like he is there. I remember my very first course at OFA and while doing the safety brief and safety rules I had to smile because it sounded just like Clint on my TR DVD's. Acidic? Rough? Naw, just to the point and not sugar coated just as it should be.

The rules can be taught professionally, in such a way that maximizes the chance that they will be learned correctly by anyone in attendance.

Takes a professional teacher, of course.

This clip isn't that. It isn't professional, it isn't good.

If you're going to teach, study teaching. It's a skill, just like carpentry, just like leadership. Falling short of the mark, not only can you fail to get the message across, but because you delivered the lecture, you can give the impression that you've taught the message, and that's a situation that's worse than no lecture at all.

Delivery is always subject to critique, at least among professionals.

With an amateur teacher, of course, there's no telling what you'll get.

WOW Dad must have done pretty good cause by age 5-6 I had this down pat. My son had it down by age 5. My daughter was a little older since we only had her part of the time. My grand daughters are 4 and 5 and this summer they will both start learning what it means to be around firearms.

I think a good part of the accidents are the people who come into the firearms world as adults. Especially after a decade of playing video games.

but then I'm an old fart. Been shooting for 45 + years now.

Ohh is a little truth hard on you?
You think this guy is acidic???
You are out of touch
No I just happen to have taught for almost 20 years and I know how to approach people and treat them like adults. And why get so butthurt over the fact that I don't like the guys teaching style, smirking and making fun of people killing themselves and their loved ones isn't professional.

Different strokes for different folks. This teaching style is more likely to get the attention of folks who would just tune out standard instruction, but would be too intense for more subdued individuals. The important part is that the rules he mentioned are solid, and should be followed if you don't wanna end up on the evening news.

The rules can be taught professionally, in such a way that maximizes the chance that they will be learned correctly by anyone in attendance.

How ignorant and arrogant can you get?

An amateur (French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover") is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science, without pay and often without formal training.

I will match my abilities, training and knowledge against any "professional" for teaching firearms safety and safe gun handling.
I am an amateur and proud of it.

And if you need further enlightenment look at history and all the wonders accomplished by amateurs.

This clip isn't that. It isn't professional, it isn't good.

If you're going to teach, study teaching. It's a skill, just like carpentry, just like leadership. Falling short of the mark, not only can you fail to get the message across, but because you delivered the lecture, you can give the impression that you've taught the message, and that's a situation that's worse than no lecture at all.

Delivery is always subject to critique, at least among professionals.

With an amateur teacher, of course, there's no telling what you'll get.

I actually think that if he was talking about anything else- THEN I would be toning him out or dismissing him. He is trying to drive home something that should be common knowledge- but it apparently isn't all that common. How many times have you heard of an "accidental discharge" from some tard that shot himself or another person from needless carelessness with a firearm? He's abso-freekin-lutely right about how incidents like the aforementioned make all us gun owners look...this is something that needs to be driven home.

I will be the first to admit that I almost blew off my own leg by not following the famous four rules...and I'm military/LEO! A gun is not a toy. It needs to be feared and respected for what it is.

I've had no formal instruction, and am a fairly new to handguns, I see nothing wrong with the guys delivery. I'm basicly training my self, and wifey, on things like pointing, sweeping(covering) people etc, can't be too safe. As a trainer I feel the guy needs to be firm/serious. This is a serious pastime/hobby we are involved in. So many people that want to learn guns are so timid and shy, I feel that a firm and serious trainer is needed to give the timid shy people the confidence they need to be safe gun handlers.

Mike

No I just happen to have taught for almost 20 years and I know how to approach people and treat them like adults. And why get so butthurt over the fact that I don't like the guys teaching style, smirking and making fun of people killing themselves and their loved ones isn't professional.

I had to watch it again to see what was wrong and he is the type teacher I would want for a class.I don't want some sweet spirit teaching a gun class.Sometimes a hard a$$ is how you get people to listen.
Around guns you need discipline and he seems like that's what he would teach in his classes.

Folks stop the personal attacks. We are all free to post our opinions of the thread matter. If you have something useful to add, please post...if not, please move along.

Nothing the matter with Clint's style of teaching...
You have two or more types of students #1.The one who has no experiance at all, so no bad habits? #2.The ones who do have some experiance or training of some kind and maybe have a bad habit/habit's?

He gears it to teach all, from the star in the class to the one who is slow with verbal compehension and instruction or the one who is having trouble with the physical moves. You have to keep it interesting so people focus on the instruction.
In the late sixties after my turns of walking the bush were up I became a trainer and you had no idea of the skills of the people (recruits) in front of you. At first you could not believe what you saw, and after you thought you had seen it all... Surprize!
You have people in front of you who are tired, daydreaming and who knows what going on in their pumpkin and you have to keep them focused.

If you are teaching a "life skill" and if what your doing works, stay with it, use it and improve on it.

I must be used to those type of instructors, I didn't see anything wrong with his delivery.

+1 - Try taking some training in an LEO environment. The attitude is shall we say "frank and to the point" especially if you violate the rules. The approach is much like what happens when a trigger is pulled on a loaded firearm - The result is very direct and irretrievable. The message needs to get across in much the same way. That being said, when the F-bombs and self aggrandizement starts flying is when I tune out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top